Go to page:

Themes should be voluntary

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018
Forum Posts: 297

Could we have some kind of "theme tree" tying lesser and mini-themes to more important ones down the line... like a geneaology tree?
Please pardon crude example below... best I could manage in situ. ely

a-a-a-a---
               --- a-b-a-b----
b-b-b-b---
                                    ----a-1-b-2---parent "THEME"
1-1-1-1---
               --- 1-2-1-2----sub-theme
2-2-2-2---

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

Ely said:Could we have some kind of "theme tree" tying lesser and mini-themes to more important ones down the line... like a geneaology tree?
Please pardon crude example below... best I could manage in situ. ely

a-a-a-a---
               --- a-b-a-b----
b-b-b-b---
                                    ----a-1-b-2---parent "THEME"
1-1-1-1---
               --- 1-2-1-2----sub-theme
2-2-2-2---

That's an interesting idea, which I will have a think about. However, it may get complicated as many theme words would have multiple parents. For example, in the "Theme Explorer" some words appear in multiple categories.

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018

admin said:

That's an interesting idea, which I will have a think about. However, it may get complicated as many theme words would have multiple parents. For example, in the "Theme Explorer" some words appear in multiple categories.

That's a very good point you make... but perhaps there is some way to adapt the idea and make it functional.
'Tis time to peruse the possibilities. ely

poet Anonymous

seekingkate said:For the time being let themes be voluntary please.  I'm not a # tagger, personally i find them feeble and when I submit a word for the theme which I think is logical, there's no match.  It's frustrating.

I know Mistress you'll say submit the word but you know, at this point in my life I don't want to waste time on the trivial (according to Kate) and I'm well aware others will have a different opinion. Each to their own.

I agree. It would be great if Tags were free to edit.

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

all I can say is would you ask  Jackson Pollock to # tag his art ....

poet Anonymous

SatansSperm said:all I can say is would you ask  Jackson Pollock to # tag his art .... I just think it helps people find the theme they like and helps understand the thought of the writer. J.

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018

Juvenalis66 said: I just think it helps people find the theme they like and helps understand the thought of the writer. J.

I agree, though I am not in favor of labels... but I can see what Admi. is talking about.
We need a way to make more personal symbols available,  while keeping it simple for the reader to find the subject matter they want.

The question is how?

poet Anonymous

Ely said:

I agree, though I am not in favor of labels... but I can see what Admi. is talking about.
We need a way to make more personal symbols available,  while keeping it simple for the reader to find the subject matter they want.
Good argument.

admin
DU Webmistress
1awards

As mentioned, tags are for readers, not authors. If you wrote a book, the bookstore would need to know which shelf in the shop to put it on, even if you as the author didn't want your book categorised, as you felt it was completely unlike any other. People complained endlessly about categories, much as people complain now about themes. There is no perfect solution!

poet Anonymous

admin said:As mentioned, tags are for readers, not authors. If you wrote a book, the bookstore would need to know which shelf in the shop to put it on, even if you as the author didn't want your book categorised, as you felt it was completely unlike any other. People complained endlessly about categories, much as people complain now about themes. There is no perfect solution! Thank you webmistress. But maybe, giving the ability to edit themes freely would be easier for everyone. Categories are rigid and I understand. But themes could be many, according to the motivés that have inspired the author. Just saying. J

admin
DU Webmistress
1awards

Juvenalis66 said: Thank you webmistress. But maybe, giving the ability to edit themes freely would be easier for everyone. Categories are rigid and I understand. But themes could be many, according to the motivés that have inspired the author. Just saying. J

It's tricky because, to use the analogy of a bookstore again. If there was an infinite number of sections/shelves, it would be hard for readers to find what they're looking for. Indeed we wouldn't publish theme pages on here with just one or two poems, the same way you wouldn't have a shelf with just one or two books on. We don't have the volume of poems being published here to support free edits on hastags. By comparison, Twitter has around 500 million tweets per day.

Kexby
john rickell
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 16th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 115

Write poems don't waste time on arguments the policy is obviously set in stone and won't change Kexby

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

(Mistress beat me to it with a much better explanation while I was putting mine together, but here it is, from a member in the trenches so to speak.)

Okay that’s enough dragging things on & on no matter what Mistress tries to get across, now LISTEN.

I’ve been for many years and still am part of mega-sites more developed, for years longer and with millions of members, that have complete freedom to add their own unlimited & personalized themes to anything they create & share.  But here’s THE drawback on that - and Mistress has already explained this several times, if not more (say, on multiple threads):

The themes are for the readers.  You, the writer, starts throwing hash tagged themes out there by the fistfuls, like confetti, making up as much variety as you can think of... just how many do you think the reader will find?  You know your writing so well, but many of your own special breed of themes are so selective.  It’s those very special hand-picked themes that will only have a few actual poems with maybe one or two readers floating out there and finding them.  

I could go into more examples, of for instances, but forget it.  If you don’t get it by now after what I’ve said, then hop in a “way-back” machine to several years ago here at the Deep when we had no choices at all, and people were caterwauling about the limited choices of categories.  Compared to back then (which wasn’t all that long ago), with no groups, no notifications (which I’m grateful for every time I’m here), and none of the latest features we now have on our profile page(s).

So let’s recap at MACH Speed:  
Unlimited themes: anarchy or the sound of crickets - which will it be?  

On the other hand, if you’re in the other camp and don’t want labels, don’t use them.  Got a love poem to publish, use a love hashtag.  That’s all you need to get your piece in.  One.  Got an erotic poem, hmm?  One erotic hashtag coming up.  See?

Do I make myself clear, those few of you who can now take this time and create new works?  Cause that’s what I’ve been doing, except this moment.  

So to Mistress, thanks for letting me have this time. I think things were getting waaay too serious.

🐾

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Go to page:
Go to: