Go to page:

Themes should be voluntary

RByron418
R Byron Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 16th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 48

Seriously, just as the title says.  I can't always think of the proper pre-defined tags that fit what I write.  And the process of "suggesting" new tags is too damn complicated and stupid.

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

For the time being let themes be voluntary please.  I'm not a # tagger, personally i find them feeble and when I submit a word for the theme which I think is logical, there's no match.  It's frustrating.

I know Mistress you'll say submit the word but you know, at this point in my life I don't want to waste time on the trivial (according to Kate) and I'm well aware others will have a different opinion. Each to their own.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Use any existing tag for now until more tags are available.

Then re-tag later on if you change your mind.

This 5 second solution brought to you by Johnny Blaze.

RKX
Lost Thinker
Canada
Joined 18th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 14

I agree tags should be voluntary, I would think it's also possible when you select your category that it would put in a default tag for you, eg erotic, love, etc if you didn't want to enter anything. the process for submitting should be getting simpler not more involved.  At some point you will have people who will tag properly and the others will just tag anything just to get through it which kills the reason for tagging to begin with and creates other issues. We have sections that already do the job of tagging. It's not my site tho, just my 2 cents.

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

I know some people are finding it frustrating to add themes to their poems. The problem is that we have to start somewhere, if we are ever to switch from the existing categories.

These existing categories have been a source of much frustration for people over the years; sometimes there isn't a category that fits, or a poem fits in more than one category. Many suggestions for new categories have been put forward over the years.

I would definitely urge people to submit their theme suggestions, it really doesn't take much time compared to the month I've been working on this project in my spare time I want people to see this as community project and get involved.

I am thinking around the idea of suggesting themes to add, but it's tricky, because beyond searching for keywords, how can a computer know what your poem is about? There's still some things in life that humans do best

@RKX Indeed, there could be theme suggestions which correlate in some way to the main category choice (even though that won't be there forever), but this wouldn't be possible for the miscellaneous category. Also, the idea of themes is to give a broader range of options, so people don't have to shoehorn things into one of just 14 things.

I would like to build something, a modal (i.e. pop up screen) on the poem submission page..."help me find themes". I'd love to hear any ideas people have for the best way to help users browse/explore/navigate through the available theme tags.

RKX
Lost Thinker
Canada
Joined 18th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 14

Ah, I see more where you are going now, didn't know that you were looking to remove the categories completely. I agree that the categories can be limiting.

I could see removing categories in their physical form, but keeping a drop down for them as a basis for selecting themes, which would have their own selection box. I don't know the limits of design within your software. Basically you have a drop down selector box and a multi selection box with all the available tags. So above that main selector box you can select your "virtual" category (lets call it a theme that works better) which would auto select one or many of the theme tag selections for you, then the user is free to add or subtract tags.

So lets say I select love as a theme from the drop down box, the tag selector box below then autoselects one tag (lets say love) then the user could add other tags by checking them off from the available tags list within the scrolling tag selector box.  This would allow people the simple choice that would be similar to categories but also vastly allow more finite description tagging and completely removes categories at the same time. You could even have the tags list autosort the top 10 used tags (or place the theme tags at the top)

The type to find a tag, that's real annoying. I could probably explain it better visually, but I would need charts, graphs, screen caps and my IDE loaded with a better example of what I mean. (ya I used to develop software interfaces at one point in my life) lol.  At least addressing all your older poems without tags will be fairly easy

poet Anonymous

modifying comment, erasing

Shadow_Dancer
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 9th Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 21

Ok I'm new and trying to submit a poem, I have read how to use them by other Poet's, it's in the box below however when I go to submit, every single time my themes up & dissapear and the worm sends me back, ahhggg.
#frustrating#help#sos

admin
DU Webmistress
1awards

Shadow_Dancer said:Ok I'm new and trying to submit a poem, I have read how to use them by other Poet's, it's in the box below however when I go to submit, every single time my themes up & dissapear and the worm sends me back, ahhggg.
#frustrating#help#sos

Does it look the image here?

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/groups/dispatch-box/discussion/904/

Shadow_Dancer
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 9th Mar 2018

No Mistress it doesn't, there is no box beside the place to put them.

admin
DU Webmistress
1awards

Shadow_Dancer said:No Mistress it doesn't, there is no box beside the place to put them.

As in no place to start typing?

Kexby
john rickell
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 16th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 115

I am having the same difficulties to such an extent that I am not submitting any more poetry Kexby

Kexby
john rickell
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 16th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 115

What benefit do we gain from tags I see none Kexby

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States 32awards
Joined 10th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 209

I appreciate the efforts of dear web'leader,   but have never been able to resist "absurdlizing" the categorization. I'm a snark with a bizarre sense-of-humor that makes no sense. I consider it a Gift, and am sincerely sorry to hear some of you are disturbed by the extended categorization.  I LOVE you, webmistress, (even though the addition of Taboola ads is obnoxious beyond words.   Peace & Blessing, y'all !

Shadow_Dancer
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 9th Mar 2018

Sorry Mistress I must have sent my reply to the nether regions. I figured it out. Thanx so much for the quick reply and help. Sincerely,
Shadow_Dancer

Go to page:
Go to: