poet
samael
Samael Talmudic
Fire of Insight
United States
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 67

Has there ever been a publishing project for Deep Underground poets before?

I know the "All Poetry" website has a publishing project they do at least once a year where anyone with an account can submit a poem ,several, or nominate others for review to be published in a compilation book.
sometimes they go with a theme or just "your best".

i would really like to see this done with the DU for the fact i feel its of a higher caliber of poets,comments,and a closer family feel overall.

i've read a lot of poets on here over the last 7 months and i would be thrilled to be able to pull a DU book of the shelf throughout the years  to come and read from some of the best,some of the people i've grown to call friends,family.

needless to say i would throw money at this for two to three copies.

just a thought, let me know what you think?

would this be too bold of a project for the DU webmistress, or just enough?

(maybe i should just print off my favorites and do my own bookbinding project but i like the community feel though.)

also how long has Deep Poetry been around, i would really like to see a "where it all began page..." with the founding date,etc.

( or is it going for a "since the beginning of words,and log after it's passing" feel lol.)

the last talk of publishing i found was back from 2011 here:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/1338/30/

DU is coming up on 10 years of Poetry if i'm reading it correctly

poet
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
82awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 6648

Reading that thread (which I participated in) was like a little walk down memory lane. So many names on that thread Iíd forgotten about from 2011... *warm smile*

I know the idea has been thrown about before, but nothing really ever got done about it. Iím sure it was pretty complex in terms of copyright, rights, monies etc.

poet
samael
Samael Talmudic
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 3rd Aug 2017

Gotcha, i figured a 10th Anniversary DU book sounded cool in my head and imagined on my shelf. i figured it would be more of a "donate a poem" to raise funds for Du just for the fact to have a cool print copy (just for the project)

most other publishers/companies/zines will not take a poem that's already been published on a blog, or another site so anything on here could only be self published for profit, or just shared for the sake of poetry.

poet
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
82awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 6648

I think my main thoughts are if itís self published, who would buy it?

DU members.

And why would DU members buy it when we already have access to it all? Especially when paid membership is already available in terms of financial help.

Oh donít get me wrong, I totally appreciate the positive side of this that you are trying to bring up, and dig that totally. I just donít think it would essentially help anything.

Morally, yes. Great morale boost. Financially, (and not just finance, but time and effort) no. Not really viable.

poet
admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards   profile   ?

samael said:
also how long has Deep Poetry been around, i would really like to see a "where it all began page..." with the founding date,etc.

You can find the answers you seek here: https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/question/216/

poet
samael
Samael Talmudic
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 3rd Aug 2017

Very true.
family, friends,peer pressure strangers and estranged 3rd cousins twice removed lol.

in that case i may just print off some of my favorite pieces and thread bind my own "10th anniversary edition extravaganza spectacular Deep Underground poetry " book.

maybe send a copy to some of my friends i've made on here for a Christmas present.

that sounds cool.

poet
samael
Samael Talmudic
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 3rd Aug 2017

Oh my god i Love it.
It's a story of lost Love being reunited once again lol. that sucks the original site just crashed one day, i could only imagine how devastated you must have felt;your website baby died!

needless to say i'm glad your mom saved a copy on a floppy disk and you never fully lost hope; returning back to the depths of which it came .

i am glad to let you know i have very much enjoyed the last 6 months i've been on here, and will continue to do so.
cheers web mistress.

-Samael ,Zaroff, Sean M.

poet
admin
DU Webmistress
1awards   profile   ?

Miss_Sub said:I know the idea has been thrown about before, but nothing really ever got done about it. Iím sure it was pretty complex in terms of copyright, rights, monies etc.

Quite right, the idea has been floating around for years, and various groups of members have discussed how to make it happen. There's certainly some challenges, both in terms of the selection process and copyright issues, which would need to be carefully considered. An e-book would be the simplest format, but if the poems are already freely out there, I'm not sure people would want to pay for that? If it's to be a tangible "real life"  book then it gets more complicated, as it would require up front investment and we'd have to consider the logistics of shipping etc.

At the moment, I'm focused on a number of projects and features to develop the DU Poetry website further. Many of which have been on the table for years, just waiting for me to find the time to implement them!

Once I feel happy that the website is everything it could and should be, then I will begin to think more seriously about the book publishing ideas.

poet
admin
DU Webmistress
1awards   profile   ?

samael said:i am glad to let you know i have very much enjoyed the last 6 months i've been on here, and will continue to do so.
cheers web mistress.

Thank you

poet
samael
Samael Talmudic
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 3rd Aug 2017

Sounds excellent. i wish you best of luck for all of DU's future endeavors and have a feeling this time this site would survive a nuclear fallout. there'll be a little USB stick with DU downloaded tied to the back of a cockroach lol.

Page:
Go to: