lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

Hullo good people

here's a post from the Guardian from back in 2009

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2009/dec/02/rise-poetry-in-advertising

I started writing poetry here in 2011, I wonder if that makes me a mainstream writer ( or some such phrase)

https://www.canvas8.com/content/2016/05/24/rhymes.html

here's another from 2016

https://www.canvas8.com/content/2016/05/24/rhymes.html

this one would suggest a market for spoken word, has anyone here sold or given some spoken word to promote anything

does anyone here know how to go about trying to sell stuff to companies

Was talking to a friend some days ago, there's about four or five ads now on tv all spoken word for big enough companies

I suppose the main question is, do people feel or notice a rise in poetry adverts where you are

and, I guess another question would be:  do you think poetry is gone mainstream,  if so how do you feel about that ?

*hat tip*

poet Anonymous

Mine wasn't spoken word but last year i worked with a jewelry company who was setting up a website and I helped them with the preface, ethos, policies and product descriptions and one of the things i created was a mini poem that became their motto and it's displayed on their front page.  
That particular piece is owned by them now since they paid me for it.
There's $$ to be made, but it takes a bit of investigation to stumble at the right ones.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1368

I don't know about advertising, but instagram poets are pretty popular. at least i see bunches of them on my facebook/instagram feed. maybe it's just who i follow though. i've also seen lots of spoken word videos being shared around facebook as well. a couple of years ago, i never saw them. again, maybe i see it more now because of the people that i actually follow/read/am friends with on facebook.

people like tyler knot gregson, and his typewriter series, made waves on social media and made it more accessible for poets to share with the general public. at least that's my opinion.

what is mainstream? does that mean that people other than poets enjoy poetry? if so, then i'd say that's a good thing. does it mean that poets are rolling in the money? probably not, but i'm down with getting paid. does it mean that people are not just hiding their words in computer files and journals? maybe, and that's probably a good thing. most of the time.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Hullo

one idea of mainstream would be something like Hollywood ariving in a small town: puts the town on the map, brings lots of money for a period then moves  to some other town. first town is forgotten

that said, mainstream could mean anything. perhaps like you say, people other than poets like poetry, but at the same time it's always been like that

I suppose mainstream could mean something like pop music.

not saying it's a good thing or bad thing. I mean everyone needs money ( cept Hemi) and fair play to you Vee for getting some

I've been thinking about making an advert since I work in a radio station. It seems to be the way it's going

I wonder if it would be akin to The doors selling out with their advert ( cant remember what the advert was but it didn't do the doors any good

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

lepperochan said:
I wonder if it would be akin to The doors selling out with their advert ( cant remember what the advert was but it didn't do the doors any good

How so?
They are pretty iconic nowadays

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

prety sure the band split up over it, or soon after. sure they're very iconic now, and they were very iconic then too,

I guess the point is, it didn't do them any good.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

ohh.. i thought it was because the lead singer took his pants off or something

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Jim was very ..sexually oriented. if I remember correct he was relieved by mouth more than once in studio while he recorded, perhaps on stage too

I thought it was a sell out - though they had already split by the time I started listening to them

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

That's kind of ew. I just thought he took his pants off

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

that's the 60s and 70s for you, it was fairly widespread

Jim was also a poet, check some of his stuff out of you have time.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Having thought about it for a bit, I think maybe mainstream is what people make it, what we make it as much as corporations make it. and people are a fickle bunch.

think of a motorway with six lanes. we are the cars. middle four lanes are for people susceptible to the adverts like Nike,  go to overground raves, New movies, x factor  , reality shows

nothing wrong with that. we can rebel and turn into the left lane, more punk, rebellious. the underground scene, may be goth, etc

not sure what would be in the right but at the end of the day we"re all on the same motorway. all suceptable  to some image , sound or scene. the volume of the middle four lanes at any given time is main stream

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

Everything goes mainstreem....once it is deemed cool and quirky....they find ways to soak the originality right out of a niche market ...
For poetry, i don't see it ever selling out....people read so little these days...factor in short attention spans.
This is a world of "Thumbers"....most in our generation and younger, want quick info, quick soundbites, flashing images and a thumb's up or down...they move on from what they've just seen to whatever is next.....keeping focus on one subject for a period of time, takes restraint that most don't care to have (or keep)

"instant gratification" ...it seems a must for most.

I think the "sellout" if it happens for poetry...is found in a soundbite or catchy phrase that is tweeted or Facebooked...looked at for a second (maybe shared) then scrolled on past to the next meem

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

came across this the other day and thought i'd drop it here.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/74638-is-poetry-the-new-adult-coloring-book.html

make of it what you will.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

explaining my depression to my mother

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017