Go to page:

Please Vote

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

Hello everyone, sending a request to please go vote in the competitions that are in vote status-we've got 3 more waiting for a spot and can only have 5 at a time in voting.

Also if anyone is currently running a comp that's ending soon, and you plan to request a public vote for winner--you may want to just choose one to not keep your entrants waiting, at least right now, anyway, as we're a bit backed up.

Thanks very much !

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14645

^ That.

paperstains
Fire of Insight
3awards
Joined 7th May 2017
Forum Posts: 106

I've noticed that some of the competitions have been up for voting for quite some time. Does that mean they have to get a certain number of votes to end? Is there no time limit? If not, it would be a good idea to have voting end when they receive X number of votes or in four or five days, whichever comes first.

The Erotic Haiku competition has been sitting there for about three weeks, hasn't it? The last entry was posted June 1. Why not end it based on lack of interest and give its slot to another?

I think that most people who have an interest in voting will do so within a week of the competition going to vote.

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

paperstains said:I've noticed that some of the competitions have been up for voting for quite some time. Does that mean they have to get a certain number of votes to end? Is there no time limit? If not, it would be a good idea to have voting end when they receive X number of votes or in four or five days, whichever comes first.

The Erotic Haiku competition has been sitting there for about three weeks, hasn't it? The last entry was posted June 1. Why not end it based on lack of interest and give its slot to another?

I think that most people who have an interest in voting will do so within a week of the competition going to vote.

I second this!  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I've noticed that some of the competitions have been up for voting for quite some time. Does that mean they have to get a certain number of votes to end? Is there no time limit? If not, it would be a good idea to have voting end when they receive X number of votes or in four or five days, whichever comes first.

Yes; there must be a certain amount to win. For example, let's say that there are 20 entries and each entry gets 1 vote - the comp stalls until another entry receives a second vote. Thus, limiting the vote to a number of days is pointless if there's still not a winner. This is why, periodically, we have to step in and remind members to go vote!

Because just ending it ( without a winner/s ) would not be fair to those who entered the comp.  

Yes and no. Some simply don't visit the comp forums. We periodically have to nudge members to vote and it all seems to work out. Though Webmiss may revisit after groups is launched for changes!

Thank you for your input! We appreciate it.

paperstains
Fire of Insight
3awards
Joined 7th May 2017
Forum Posts: 106

Ahavati said:Because just ending it ( without a winner/s ) would not be fair to those who entered the comp.

Specifically regarding the Haiku competition, does that mean that there is a two (or three or four) way tie and it's going to sit there until someone votes to break the tie?

I didn't mean that it should be ended with no winner, just closed and whoever is in the lead currently given the win. I can see where that would be a problem in a tie situation.

Given that it's been sitting there for so long, and there is a limit to the number of voting threads at any one time, maybe one solution would be to put the names of those involved in the tie into a hat and draw one.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

paperstains said:

Specifically regarding the Haiku competition, does that mean that there is a two (or three or four) way tie and it's going to sit there until someone votes to break the tie?

Unfortunately, yes.

I didn't mean that it should be ended with no winner, just closed and whoever is in the lead currently given the win. I can see where that would be a problem in a tie situation.

Exactly.

Given that it's been sitting there for so long, and there is a limit to the number of voting threads at any one time, maybe one solution would be to put the names of those involved in the tie into a hat and draw one.

That would probably be our next step if not resolved by votes ( though we haven't had to go that far during my tenure here ).

Again, thank you for your input! We appreciate it!

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

paperstains said:

Thank goodness it's never come to that.  Dear paperstains, please know that this particular competition up for public vote is by far not the only one that's been "stalled" for a long period of time.  If fact, in the past, many have languished far longer.  I'm in the haiku comp as a participant, and all one can do is go about enjoying other endeavors until the results come it - and they will, never fear.  Most comps don't go through such a long wait, but the ones that do just require patience.  

In fact, it's thanks to the Mods who give members a reminder on the Forum that helps clear the log jams.  

Oh and one more thing:  many many DUP members don't indulge in the competitions, nor do they go to see which are up for public voting.  There may be thousands of DUP members, but a mere few in comparison who are active hosts & participants in the contests.

Take care dear, and thanks for listening and adding your thoughts to this thread.  Be well.

~Jade

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Jade-Pandora said:
[...]

In fact, it's thanks to the Mods who give members a reminder on the Forum that helps clear the log jams.  

~Jade

Thank you for the nod, Miss Jade!

Great point about the members who don't enter or frequent comps; however, will go vote when prompted to.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Yes ma'am, ah-men!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Thanks everyone --I just put up two more comps, only one left waiting in the wings.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Bumping this thread--need some more voters to head to the voting comps....need to clear space again for more. Thanks so much!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Bumping again--please go vote in the comps, if you haven't already--there's two more in line to go up, but no room right now, until we clear a couple of voting spots .

Thanks so much!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Bump! Please vote--we're getting back logged with comps in voting status and there's a line up started .

Thanks!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Bumping again--we have 2 comps waiting for a space in voting--please vote in the ones already in vote status so we can clear room.

Thanks so much!

Go to page:
Go to: