Go to page:

Where millions of fantastic poems go to die

poet Anonymous

Hi,
That made a lot of sense to me. I have thought along those lines. I think emailing all your work to yourself is another way to document  the second when you wrote something. It's a good job that I don't want to make money from poetry because I would worry myself into incubation. I aim to send ripples through the either. If someone stole my work from here and It made something good happen then it wouldn't be for nothing.  

poet Anonymous

Don't they say plagiarism is the greatest form of flattery? Or something similar. Given the trillions of sites, blogs et al would be pretty much nigh on impossible to police. Plath said: "write for yourself and not an imaginary audience." Sound philosophy. Think of your scribbles as little balloons drifting on cyber highways, waiting to burst or to be caught.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6697

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Plagiarism is just laziness and envy, and something actively avoided and fought against.

Though as Trouble_Loves_Me writing for yourself rather than an audience has its benefits, and it is difficult to plagiarise or copy words which have not been written!

doggerelsheets - no offence taken and no apology needed. My reply was a bit flippant and light-hearted, when plagiarism is a serious topic. Let me tell you that in cases of plagiarism, the DU Moderators have a tendency to leave no stone unturned and scrutiny everything within an inch of its life in order to get to the truth. Though as a DU Moderator myself I may be a figure of authority (as if ) so do not take all my words without some pinches of salt nearby, but not too much salt mind you!

poet Anonymous

Viddax. I was possibly being too flippant. Guess it feasible to trace a chunk/whole of stolen poem, but the odd snippet or couplet must be like finding the proverbial needle!

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6697

Trouble_Loves_Me said:Viddax. I was possibly being too flippant. Guess it feasible to trace a chunk/whole of stolen poem, but the odd snippet or couplet must be like finding the proverbial needle!

I have a feeling that some of the best and greatest poetry has had snippets and bits of borrowed inspiration. There is nothing wrong in inspiration and copying to a certain degree so long as notification is given. Its when its passed off as your own piece that problems start.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14628

Viddax said:[...]Let me tell you that in cases of plagiarism, the DU Moderators have a tendency to leave no stone unturned and scrutiny everything within an inch of its life in order to get to the truth.[...]

And. How.  

Trouble_Loves_Me said:Don't they say plagiarism is the greatest form of flattery? Or something similar. Given the trillions of sites, blogs et al would be pretty much nigh on impossible to police. Plath said: "write for yourself and not an imaginary audience." Sound philosophy. Think of your scribbles as little balloons drifting on cyber highways, waiting to burst or to be caught.

There is Universal Truth in that once an idea has been put forth via thought, it will attract a vibrational frequency like a magnet.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

It's impossible to track every time someone steals a piece that's yours, or that of a respected friend here.  As someone mentioned, I'm sure DUP as had it's share of high school and college raiders just looking for a poem to pass off as their own to get through a lit class.  

The worst are DUP members who steal from DUP members.  One of the worst was an asswipe who reeked, and stole erotica not only from members here but he'd plagiarize R. Kelly as well! WTF!?! Yet there were those here who lapped it up as truth.

As for the money ... yeah I've made tons of cash! So much so the IRS hit me with for taxes owed on all my royalities ... (I freakin' wish) ... they're screwing me on something totally different.  I may be writing from a prison cell soon enough!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LobodeSanPedro said:It's impossible to track every time someone steals a piece that's yours, or that of a respected friend here.  As someone mentioned, I'm sure DUP as had it's share of high school and college raiders just looking for a poem to pass off as their own to get through a lit class.  

The worst are DUP members who steal from DUP members.  One of the worst was an asswipe who reeked, and stole erotica not only from members here but he'd plagiarize R. Kelly as well! WTF!?! Yet there were those here who lapped it up as truth.

As for the money ... yeah I've made tons of cash! So much so the IRS hit me with for taxes owed on all my royalities ... (I freakin' wish) ... they're screwing me on something totally different.  I may be writing from a prison cell soon enough.

I HATE the IRS! They're bullies. I took them all the way to court and beat their ass!

We'll post your bail!

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Ahavati said:

I HATE the IRS! They're bullies. I took them all the way to court and beat their ass!

We'll post your bail!

I may have to go the court route too ... like I don't have enough to do

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LobodeSanPedro said:

I may have to go the court route too ... like I don't have enough to do

See if an attorney can handle them first. My case was a former employer issuing a second W2 ( which I had no knowledge of ) to cover embezzlement. So it looked like I had 25,000 more unreported income than I actually did  - and of course they wait "YEARS" so interest and interest upon interest can accumulate.

I was lucky - I had records of proof and they dismissed it with an apology. Like that made up for the emotional duress of their threats to take everything I owned, their bully tactics in not listening to the truth, or the time and money I spent fighting them. Sometimes "We're sorry." doesn't cut it.

Go to page:
Go to: