Go to page:

Where millions of fantastic poems go to die

poet Anonymous

I have often wondered where all the poems on this site go. I see thousands of them come then just go off into oblivion. I'm a paranoid person, and in my drunken paranoid state I became worried that somebody was using this website to take all the good ideas and poems and actually publishing them in the real world, far from here. Or maybe they take the ones they like and recite them as their own on college open mic nights to get laid or something. But that's just my paranoid delusions.

How safe is the work that is published on this site?

Could it be used in a plagiarism dispute if I ever made it big in the future (another wild delusion)?

KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 6358

calm down...there's a reason this site is named what it is named....  they all go deep, underground. :-)

poet Anonymous

But I belief that people need to here it, not hide it away from everyone, I put poems on this site for people that use this site. But if people have great poems that could change the world they shouldn't hide them from the world.

Emily Dickinson - is a prime example of this, it was only after she died that people found here body of work. It will take much longer to find the great poetry from the alright, if your only presence is in (I hate to say this) a cyber graveyard.

However I do believe, DUP has a purpose, but I'd like to know if there was any way of gaining some sort of interest from the publishing world beyond the internet.    

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

Every path starts with a single step. - Got to start somewhere if you want to spread your words and ideas. So DU may not be the front page of the internet but it is still part of the web and means at least some people rather than none can see the poems. If poems here were being taken and being published then sometime later news and word of it would catch up and this website having poem posted dates would lead to the copied versions falling under one crime or another. Plus any publisher worth their salt or gold or printing block would have some form of check for plagiarism: in order to protect work and prevent a loss of face.

If someone takes the poems here and repeats them elsewhere claiming them as theirs, sooner or later the need for inspiration and art would far outpace their cunning, showing them as shallow thieves. Besides which, there are far easier ways to get laid than repeat the poetry of someone else: such as making your own poetry for the targeted audience.

There are methods in place to prevent, contain and eradicate plagiarism, which itself is taken very seriously here.
It seems generally that the internet world and publishing world do not have firm links meaning getting stuff online published is possible but depends on knowledge of how to go about it or word of mouth by other people.
Things like social media also mean that shorter poetry can have an instant audience and fanbase, removing the publishing middleman and possibly making money by amount of views or hits and advertising.

As for changing the real world: it has a habit of working in extremely mysterious and fortuitous ways so that the once obscure can become an overnight sensation or go on a gradual rise to heady stardom.

poet Anonymous

Hi,
That was very eloquently put. You have allayed my fears. However It's hard to turn off a paranoia that someone richer and more powerful will one day exploit me for all I'm worth.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Question : Where millions of fantastic poems go to die?

Answer : Literotica

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 6358

is that a short for lite- erotica?

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

I am not sure about the others'. But mine always gets publish here first. then to wattpad.. then to my FB page. There are millions of poets all around the globe. Not everyone is lucky to get publish. I can not speak for others but for me, I am glad for site's like Dup who let me share mine. ten reads to none? I'd take ten any  day. plus it help me time stampped all my works and compile them all online, just like a compartmentalize mini library... where I have my own space with neighbors besides.

Regarding plagiarism, it is really hard to track. specially if its use in for example, school assignment, etc. But I don't worry about that. If I'd do, then I won't even publish them online so no one could get them except me... then it would really die together with me.  

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

doggerelsheets said:Hi,
That was very eloquently put. You have allayed my fears. However It's hard to turn off a paranoia that someone richer and more powerful will one day exploit me for all I'm worth.  

Well there a few answers on how to avoid that situation. One is to become that richer and more powerful person; the 'go hard or go home' ethos. Another way is the 'one down-man ship' or 'Four Yorkshiremen' from the same named Monty Python sketch: have no worth worthy of being stolen! And another is to tell your paranoia to go play in the corner with despair , self-loathing and depression while the rest take the stage and move you onwards.

There is of course the old adage 'there is nothing new under the sun' in which case it hardly matters who exploits who or who copies who as the general behaviour has all been done before.

poet Anonymous

Fair point, please don't take offense to my next line, but tell the song writers who never got a penny for writing hits, and tell many other great minds that had there art stolen and watched someone else take all the success and glory for there toil, try telling them that 'there's nothing new under the sun'
I don't mean to directly attack all of your argument

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

There are copyright laws to protect authors against infringement. I can only hope that I discover such infringement so I can sue for the maximum allotted amount.

Hello vacay!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
KublaiSwan
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 23rd June 2017
Forum Posts: 59

The rich steal from the poor
The poor steal from the poor

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16217

doggerelsheets said:I have often wondered where all the poems on this site go. I see thousands of them come then just go off into oblivion. I'm a paranoid person, and in my drunken paranoid state I became worried that somebody was using this website to take all the good ideas and poems and actually publishing them in the real world, far from here. Or maybe they take the ones they like and recite them as their own on college open mic nights to get laid or something. But that's just my paranoid delusions.

How safe is the work that is published on this site?

Could it be used in a plagiarism dispute if I ever made it big in the future (another wild delusion)?

I believe that the poems written here are kept by their owners in their own hard drive or papers, so they don't go into oblivion. They live on wherever they are. Yes there may be some people who actually take a piece of our work and  recite them at school or a place some where far away...if we are not there, and didn't hear, we will never know. How safe is the work published here...not hard-locked safe as far as internet goes, as whoever have access can rip off. However, when you make it big, you can actually compare dates that you published here and the ones published by another. Who published first is the owner ... in a simpler way.
Anyway who knows what a good lawyer can do.

Go to page:
Go to: