Go to page:

librarians librarians librarians

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

I'm not a librarian... nor do I want to get to know one on a personal level.  I just want them to tell me I can still borrow another 20 books, despite the lost copy of 50 shades darker I'd borrowed is now 12 months overdue...

I want to know if all of you [every single one of you] have dealt with librarians, and if so, describe your experience with them, and how you perceive them in relation to their vitamin D difficient complexion and sexless attire.  Or you can even throw it out there that you're a closet bibliophile and explain how you prevent the pages from sticking together.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

I love the library! That's where I get all my (free) music when I burn copies of their CD's. And I live for the used book sale, every Thursday night, where everything is 50 cents or a dollar apiece .

poet Anonymous

I visited the library the other day. I asked the librarian why Tales of Robin Hood had been withdrawn from the collection. She replied, "Too much Saxon violence."

I left both dismayed and slightly aroused.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16221

I wanted to be a librarian once. So I can read all the books I want. I applied for the job and got rejected...So I signed up for a card instead. I spent a whole month reading books by Frank Yerby. I love those days.

Fallen_Angel_194
Angel.
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2014
Forum Posts: 318

I wanted to be a librarian myself for a long time, but as i grew older, I lost touch,
I love books and all things quiet. But as I grew older, I became more loud.
And Much more Loud. Recently my Librarian told me I could only check out four books,
And I became dismayed.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1374

Maybe she really needs that copy of 50 shades darker. Find the book, get your freedom. Or something like that.

In my experience, librarians are a wealth of knowledge and quite able to hold their own in any kind of battle. Even while sticking to the rules. I wouldn't like to find myself in their bad graces.

As to getting the pages to stop sticking...protection usually helps.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

What these people called 'librarians' and what is a 'library'? I kid, though I have not particularly much experience with libraries or librarians beyond returning and collecting stuff for the family. The family in the normal sense, not the mafia sense, the mafia are more interested in laundries for their money. Apparently my bedroom constitutes as a library under one definition, though I do not have a copy of 50 Shades Darker for you Case. Have read the first 3 books in the Twilight saga at my sister's request; so perhaps bondage and abuse might be as interesting as bestiality and necrophilia.

As for pages sticking together: read with dry hands, make sure the environment is a warm and dry atmosphere but not too warm, leave stuck pages in a warm dry place to air, and most importantly stop knocking on the sauce bottle when you read Case.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2387

perhaps stop gluing them? ^-^

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14649

One of my dearest friends is the director of the main county library here.  She is ANYTHING but conventional! I even did her bridal shoot in the library! It was great!

Another who directs a sub-branch within the county  graduated with me and is flipping crazy fun and again, anything but conventional.

Maybe you could offer to replace the book and keep your *cough sticky-fingered cough* copy.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

case28 said:despite the lost copy of 50 shades darker I'd borrowed is now 12 months overdue...
and explain how you prevent the pages from sticking together.

Keep your hands out of your pants , while reading that book, Mr. Sticky Fingers.....

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

I think everyone is taking the question out of context... I'm not a bibliophile.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

case28 said:I think everyone is taking the question out of context... I'm not a bibliophile.

Did you make sure that the book was of consensual age and of consent first? Word rape is no laughing matter; nitrous oxide sampling is.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Sounds nothing like Welsh librarian's and you would find fifty shades darker in the sleep zone.  
Not dealt with any librarians as such, it's pretty much self service here.  You can stop the pages sticking together by not making them sticky, and if the pages are already sticky, find another book.

I'm a bibliophile (non closet)  

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

Confession time...I am a bibliophile...I'm looking at starting my own lending library soon 😉
I know I could go to the library and it would be a hellvua lot cheaper...sometimes I do go but I like to be surrounded by books, all the time, not just when I'm there...have I read them all?  No, maybe about 60-70%...It could become an obsession, just like the bags I seem to be collecting, you know, funky bags to carry my books in, like the one from Jaipur that says 'The Difficulty in being a Bag'...I'm becoming a Book and Bag Lady...I need help 😉
Sticky pages?  I tend not to read a book when sticky pages might be the end result 😉

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

I had a bit of an online book bargain addiction last year.  I think I was buying half a dozen books every few months, before I realised those damn online book stores are always having sales.

Being on GoodReads kinda fuelled my book obsession too, stalking people's reading lists and book reviews, watching my own 'to read' list grow... anyway I'm much better now, except when I buy books for gifts to give to family, sometimes it just happens to be a book I want to read. 🙄

I like borrowing books from the library too, but if I find a book I really enjoyed I'll buy it anyway.  I often leave book marks in my books, so I can go back to my favourite bits or something I found inspiring.

Go to page:
Go to: