Go to page:

How long does it take to write your poem?

tmoj
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 2nd Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 57

How long does it usually take for y'all to write y'all's poems?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I'm writing my newest for about three months now.

but, when I joined , first five or six poems took about two or three days. I have written some ranging from around twenty five minutes to months

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

When I started three or so years ago I was prolific, i could write up to 6 in a day. Mind you a lot were crap now that I look back on them.  Now it's take longer, from a few hours to maybe a few days...some are good and some are not so good but that's life, eh?

Fillenatrix
Twisted Dreamer
Australia 2awards
Joined 21st Feb 2015
Forum Posts: 47

I draw fast and write slowly. Sometimes it takes me years to finish a piece off, most of the time its weeks. I have it all planned out in my head but putting it to paper is tricky for me.

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

Not long.really. once I start, I finish it in one sitting. (Editing thou takes longer time)

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Could be 40 seconds. Could be 40 hours. Depends on the size, how serious it is and how much it seemingy writes itself.

If you subscribe to notions such as reincarnation or parallel worlds in which you follow other paths available when presented with choices, you may be tapping into writings that have already been written by you. This could explain why some poems come effortlessly with little need for editing.

MsRockyJackson
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 1st July 2014
Forum Posts: 318

Depends on the creative process for me sometimes a certain line hits me, but then I get stumped really quick and have to go days, weeks, or months till I'm finally inspired and I post.
But then I have those really creative days where write from 12 to 5 minutes and that's not that rare I've written both stories, songs, and poems in that time limit.
So it really all depends on how inspired I am.

poet Anonymous

Wouldn't that hold true with decisions made also?

poet Anonymous

Most of the time I just get this feeling to write stuff down and I do you could say it's spontaneous poem writing.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

I've never written a real poem ..yet

ReBekahBehave
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 29th Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 5

forever ever

Ant1-Her0-Project
Travis
Thought Provoker
United States 7awards
Joined 5th Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 198

Sometimes a day... other times, as long as a year.

gazellemon
Bradley J
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 6th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 372

good question brotha. personally, i mostly find inspiration from instrumental music.. so i find a beat i like and play it over and over again till i can get my thoughts/emotions on paper.. most of the time it happens rather quickly. most of my poems are written, posted, and performed within a few hours.  However revisions can take a while as i tweak it to be as perfect rhythmically and lyrically as i can make it.. this is what takes a long time. i sometimes go back and forth between whether a single word should be included or debating between two different bars i could use.  I have thought in the past that i shouldnt post anything that isnt 100% polished to the best of my ability. but honestly i like the raw emotion that can be conveyed in the moment and the "mistakes" make it more authentic in my opinion.  It can be hard to return to the mental and emotional state that i began a piece in so i try and capture a poem as a moment that i wrote it.   but there is something to be said for perfecting a poem and in my case nailing the performance (which rarely happens) just some thoughts

<3

LostGirl18
Fire of Insight
Canada 10awards
Joined 15th Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 105

I'll let you know when it's finished.

HadesRising
Tyrant of Words
United States 34awards
Joined 8th June 2013
Forum Posts: 1616