Go to page:

What got you interested in writing poetry?

tmoj
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 2nd Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 57

As lame and uncool as poetry seems, what got writing poetry to sound like a good idea to you?

MsRockyJackson
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 1st July 2014
Forum Posts: 318

I first started writing poetry as a way of coping with depression at the age of 10 years old.
Now some may think that it's probably stupid for a 10 year old to have depression when really it isn't there a lot of little kids who are younger and are depressed.
Anyways won't get into detail about why or what made me depressed just that I went into a dark place and the only things that could save me at that age was music, dance, and writing.
Eventually as I got older I explored more themes of writing besides the sad and depressing stuff and ended up writing about my most popular known theme: erotic/sex when exploring and learning more about sex and feeling like what better way to be honest than to talk about sex in my poetry?.
So around I guess 14 ( yes that young please don't judge) I started writing more explicit content but that was way before I joined DUP of course.

poet Anonymous

I kept a journal all through my teenage years. I guess I've always wrote. At 24 I had a total nervous breakdown, became very ill. I didn't leave the house for 9 months straight. Writing was all I could do. Writing helped me learn how to feel again. Been writing ever since.

As for the DU, I was googling the music video for Jamiroquai's "Deeper Underground" but clicked the wrong link and google sent me here. Been writing and  hanging around ever since wondering when I get cookies.

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 180

4th-8th grade, I participated in a School Oratory Contest, where I had to memorize a poem and recite it in front of judges and public audience.  I always won at least to be the school representative.  Well, it was in 4th that I developed interest in poetry & began to write my own.  

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
dadumfook
Strange Creature
Joined 25th Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 2

I started writing silly rhymes when I was bored. But really started consuming poetry after watching Penny Dreadful. Writing just seemed to be a natural progression after that.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
absinthe
Fats
Fire of Insight
Philippines 7awards
Joined 27th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 38

Language translations.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14578

Love.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 817

Poetry got interested in me

_ThatOneKid
Lost Thinker
Joined 25th Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 7

It's always been difficult for me to express my emotions until my grandmother told me about poetry when i was about 6 or 7 before she passed.

HHMCameron
BetaWolfinVA
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 315

one morning long ago, before the internet, when walled gardens were the only things online, and you dialed into them (AOL, GEnie, CompuServe, Prodigy), two years before I actually created any accounts

I was woken up by a dream,
a person sitting at a camp fire, staring out into the darkness...
(not certain if the person was alone or not,
assuming a man alone at this late remove)

Dawn, Dusk, Darkest Night
Dreams within the fire light
see the night without

from then on, words and concepts tend to come in short form, and prose is always a struggle for me

(says the person whose job is to write letters, manuals, and orders)

pure_emo117
Twisted Dreamer
Australia
Joined 20th Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 11

Been battling depression/ anxiety for years, deep underground poetry helped me get some things out that im sure i id get locked up for again. If i could describe poetry in a word od have to say....heart, as in. No matter what people say, no matter if thwy give you shit for what you write. Poetry is from the heart. And be proud of whatever comes from the heart.

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

I wish I had a deep and meaningful answer to this question. The simple truth is I don't...One day I woke up got bored and started writing. My scribbles somehow became meaningful and fuck it now I can't stop writing.It has become a habbit where my fingers become a slave to my mind and a poem comes out the other end.That's about it really

Fallen_Angel_194
Angel.
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2014
Forum Posts: 318

In all of my life, I'd never really known what was lying in the shadows for me, And I constantly felt alone.
But when I began my time here, I felt as if I belonged.

Go to page:
Go to: