Go to page:

Copying your poems

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

This is for those of you who want to make copies of all of your poems, which will take about 5 to 30 minutes depending on how many you have and how fast your download speed is.

1) Download, install, & launch the freeware program HTTrack Website Copier. You can find it at:
https://www.httrack.com

2) create a project name such as DUP ARCHIVED

3) create an empty folder on your computer to store webpage copies in. You may opt to include the date, so you know when you last archived. Example: 2021_06_29_JohnnyBlaze

4) choose action : Download web site(s)

5) Hit the ADD URL button, then enter the address of your poem list. Example:  
http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poem-list/JohnnyBlaze/

6) Hit the SET OPTIONS button, then the SCAN RULES TAB. Paste over the existing text with the following parameters:

+*.png +*.gif +*.jpg +*.css +*.js -ad.doubleclick.net/* -mime:application/foobar
-*/*login*
-*/*register*
-*/*forum*
-*/*poets*
-*/*questions*
-*/*search*
-*/*-poems*
-*/*poems-*
+*/poems/*

7) Hit the FINISH button, which begins the archiving. Keep in mind, the program is also copying images from each of your poems pages. So when the "files written" reaches 5X the amount of poems you have, it's a good bet that you are finished. If you have 400 poems, then copy at least 2,000 files.

8) Hit CANCEL when you wish to stop the program. Or otherwise you will end up archiving ALL of DUP, which would probably take at least a week.

9) Hit CANCEL again. Don't ask me why.

10) In the folder you created on your computer, you will find a file named "index.html". This is a copy of your poem list linked to copies of all of your poem pages. It can be browsed offline. Just click on the index.html file to have your browser open it. The archiver works alphabetically, so doublecheck the poems at the end of your list to see if they copied.

The parameters included in Step 6 are meant to discourage HTTtrack from archiving some, not all, of the other pages hosted on "deepundergroundpoetry.com".

Yes, Step 8 ( guessing when the program is finished ) is obnoxious, but it can't be avoided. Every poem here is hosted in a single folder named "deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/ " There is no way to distinguish who wrote what in order to exclude other authors.

Good luck!

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

Now lol, how long do ya think it will be before your neat little tip is used for nefarious purposes?  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Trixareforkids said:Now lol, how long do ya think it will be before your neat little tip is used for nefarious purposes?  

Oh, if only I had the time to play a few pranks on my friends here.

Otherwise, I just used it to make a copy of my personal forum.

And I used it a few years ago to archive an entire poetry forum that I made available for download in .zip format to its members.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

If you do ever use an archiver like HTTrack to make a copy of a forum, be sure to program it to exclude all the pages you don't want to copy and or accidentally create.

If you don't, the archiver will make a copy of whatever loads whenever a button or link is clicked. For example, if a Quote button appears 25 times on a page, the archiver will make an additional 25 copies of a useless page that you will never browse offline.

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

Wish I known this before I painstackingly downloaded over 1100 poems...ah, but it's done now and is also backed up to an external hard drive... ;-)

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:
Otherwise, I just used it to make a copy of my personal forum.

And thank goodness I did, because my personal forum which had ALL of my poetry in it recently disintegrated in a technical snafu.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Thank goodness I created copies of all my poems here.

My personal forum warehousing about 800 something poems disappeared, possibly for good.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

JohnnyBlaze said:Thank goodness I created copies of all my poems here.

My personal forum warehousing about 800 something poems disappeared, possibly for good.

Sounds like it's time for a kick-ass site:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Minds of Johnny Blaze & Company

Or just the latter.

💜😊

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

Sounds like it's time for a kick-ass site:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Minds of Johnny Blaze & Company

Or just the latter.

💜😊

💜

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 87

Thanks for the advice...very considerate of you to share.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:For those of you who want to make copies of all of your poems in your Poem List ( which will take less than 5 minutes ) :

Well, now it takes about 12 minutes to copy 500 something poems here because of the addition of the Themes.

Each #whatever leads to its own page that ends up being copied in the process.  

However, that beats the holy hell out of saving each poem page individually.

And of course, you get to preserve all the lovely comments received in the process.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I am assuming you did another backup. lol

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:I am assuming you did another backup. lol

Yeps, I did! Gotta make sure our NaPos are backed up.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Yeps, I did! Gotta make sure our NaPos are backed up.

You might want to get that handy little tool to Wally. He was devastated over losing a great majority of his poems recently.  

Go to page:
Go to: