Go to page:

How Long should grief over a pet put down should last?

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2796

I know what that's like, Chloe! We ended up burying Mittens in our backyard, and our dog Scotty too. Even our silly parakeet Morgan, cage and all. I always got the sense that their sweet spirits were still about, too. My grandmother always said that the pets we love the most wait for us in Heaven, but I go one bit further by believing that they also can reach out to us, to continue to show us their love from beyond. It always made me cry too, when it was time for my family to have to bury a pet! Thankfully, they never made me attend those sendoffs since I was too emotional to really handle them well. I would always just wait inside with my mother, and she'd try to take my mind off of the burial by telling me jokes, or reading me stories, or playing games with me. Everyone handles things differently, of course.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2296

Gahddess_Worship said:
Easily said but try and concentrate on the fond memories you have of your beloved pet. Thereby keeping them alive and with you in your memory. One of my favorite quotes, when pondering the life of a loved one who has transitioned, is by Dr. Seuss, he wrote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Best Quote of comfort

thank You

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2642

beautiful ❤️

huntedhurtz
Strange Creature
Joined 23rd Aug 2022
Forum Posts: 3

I think it takes as long as it takes and that's ok. Processing grief and loss is as individual as each person. Remind yourself of that and give yourself time, eventually you'll be able to cherish the beautiful memories you were able to make and together.

Good luck.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2296

huntedhurtz said:I think it takes as long as it takes and that's ok. Processing grief and loss is as individual as each person. Remind yourself of that and give yourself time, eventually you'll be able to cherish the beautiful memories you were able to make and together.

Good luck.

i find myself the plethera of moments my cat cause me to laugh and marvel and love.

Even when She caused me to be angry with Her i melted each time She curled up on my lap to comfort me.  i really couldn't stay angry She just had a way.

Thank You for the words and Feel of encouragement and empathy.

Go to page:
Go to: