Go to page:

How Long should grief over a pet put down should last?

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2288

This week i had to put down my Mom's cat (who, evidently, i grew to love more than i thought i could) and had to have Her euthanized this past Tuesday.

I have been crying loudly and violently everyday for about 6 days and want it to stop but every time i go over the memories of my animal Friend (i asked Her if She would be my Familiar and She indicated - NO - and so She became my symbiotic energy-mate) AND so, i aske

How long
does this
or
will this
take?

Whitewidow
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 9th Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 8

The death of a pet can be debilitating for some. The loss can reach extreme heights throughout the grieving process. It's important to be thorough within this process so as not to get "stuck" it could take some time for the pain to subside just remember you are not in this alone there is something greater than we are to reach out to.

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2636

dearest Theo your grief may never go she is a part of you
I go to bed some nights with the thought of past pets
in some ways I felt I let them down at times and it bothers me
they are a part of my soul...

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Whitewidow said:The death of a pet can be debilitating for some. The loss can reach extreme heights throughout the grieving process. It's important to be thorough within this process so as not to get "stuck" it could take some time for the pain to subside just remember you are not in this alone there is something greater than we are to reach out to.

appreciate Your share and feel and insight.

i know what You relate to with respect to getting stuck.
It's why i've come here and on Facebook and other places in my life (including neighbors).  

Crying every effin day cannot be good for me

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

crimsin said:dearest Theo your grief may never go she is a part of you
I go to bed some nights with the thought of past pets
in some ways I felt I let them down at times and it bothers me
they are a part of my soul...

a next door neighbor who had to put down her wee dog this year shared similar thoughts.  

When Kitty was alive with me, often, during many an evening She and me saw (felt?) another cat presence in our domicile.  Not certain if my chatting with the animal spirit helped Kitty, but we both never had any malice or altercation.

Thank You, Brenda, for continued support and sharing.

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2636

Tallen said:

a next door neighbor who had to put down her wee dog this year shared similar thoughts.  

When Kitty was alive with me, often, during many an evening She and me saw (felt?) another cat presence in our domicile.  Not certain if my chatting with the animal spirit helped Kitty, but we both never had any malice or altercation.

Thank You, Brenda, for continued support and sharing.

I live on a ten acre ranch we have about twelve cats here we feed...some are friendly some are feral but they follow me around the property I believe they are familiar spirits I love them they have I nice big kitty tree and snuggling spots...I'm unsure where their mother is off too but even though they are older they snuggle up to an older male cat and faux nurse on his they all do it with this one male cat and he doesn't seem to mind...

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 817

As long as you need too. I don't know that grief goes away. It becomes woven into our fabric.

CrazyPrincess_Chlo
Chloe A. Harper-Ashton
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 10th Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 21

I had a pet hamster when I was eight, but it died when it got loose and ended up trying to get down the basement stairs. It ended up falling down between the steps, and it was a really, really long way so the poor little fuzzy didn't make it. I cried so much when Mom told me he was dead, but it did get easier once we got some new pets. I never forgot my hamster though! His name was Butterbear. Sometimes I think his spirit is still there looking out for me. I'm kind of weird like that. Kind of really weird, actually, according to my big sis.

Kou_Indigo
Karam L. Parveen-Ashton
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2794

CrazyPrincess_Chlo said:I had a pet hamster when I was eight, but it died when it got loose and ended up trying to get down the basement stairs. It ended up falling down between the steps, and it was a really, really long way so the poor little fuzzy didn't make it. I cried so much when Mom told me he was dead, but it did get easier once we got some new pets. I never forgot my hamster though! His name was Butterbear. Sometimes I think his spirit is still there looking out for me. I'm kind of weird like that. Kind of really weird, actually, according to my big sis.

I had a hamster named Marvin who was a big fluffy teddy bear hamster... and yes, that really is a kind of hamster, one that is a lot furrier than regular hamsters. Poor Marvin got loose just like your hamster did and tried to crawl down into the pipes by way of the radiators. But we were lucky! My mother caught him crawling out of a pipe in the basement, so she saved his little life. He died of old age in the end, and was really, really fat by then too! He had quite the appetite. The pet I often find that I miss the most was my cat Mittens, who I raised from a kitten. And that totally rhymed! Lol. Mittens was loyal though... when he got old, he wandered off for a bit but came back home to me, where he finally died. That made me cry quite a bit, and I was about eighteen years old at the time... but he had been such a member of the family, that his death really did have quite the impact on everyone. Grief over the loss of a pet is quite normal, and you always will miss the pets that you loved the most. Butterbear has to be one of the most simply adorable names for a hamster that I have ever heard! Chloe, you have a very sweet imagination to come up with something like that. I don't mind if you're a bit on the weird side... me, I often pride myself on how unusual I am. If your sister thinks you are weird, then that only means that she does not understand you. I say, own your uniqueness and never lose what it is that makes you special... or weird, as your sister would call it. I rather have a great fondness for weird people, myself! To me, they often turn out to be more normal... at least by my standards... than most "normal" people tend to be. Normalcy, at least by the common definition of such, is highly overrated in my book!  At any rate, I like the way you think.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Gahddess_Worship said:As long as you need too. I don't know that grief goes away. It becomes woven into our fabric.

(aaah    something to look forward to?)

i kind of figured what You've said
but was hoping for a magick spell or potion to ease my suffereing.

thank You for the kind response.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

CrazyPrincess_Chlo said:I had a pet hamster when I was eight, but it died when it got loose and ended up trying to get down the basement stairs. It ended up falling down between the steps, and it was a really, really long way so the poor little fuzzy didn't make it. I cried so much when Mom told me he was dead, but it did get easier once we got some new pets. I never forgot my hamster though! His name was Butterbear. Sometimes I think his spirit is still there looking out for me. I'm kind of weird like that. Kind of really weird, actually, according to my big sis.

@ 65, i didn't think i'd be this emotional over my Mom's cat (was a rescue kitten that my younger Brother brought home to grow up with he and our Mom and when he died, She became my Mom's cat).

i remember a moment in Hawai'i, when as a kid, i was raising a Frog from a Tadpole and one day my dad changed his water terrarium but put too much water in and my Frog drowned.  i cried violently for days on end and only stopped after the whole family promoted and performed a funeral for my pet.  His coffin was a matches box and we buried him in the backyard.
i hated my dad for that for a long long time.

Many Friend and neighbors suggested i get another cat
but i am not certain my aged heart can take another passing.
Did You get another pet?
You're young and so probably way more resilient than me  

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Gorgeous pic of Your Mori !!!

i never thought of a ritual to ask Kitty
(yeah that's Her name my Mom called Her -- my Brother called Her Baby-O -- though often She'd respond to me when i called Her, Maggie.  Eventually, i called Her Kitty)
if She'd be my Spirit Guide.  THANK YOU so much for bringing this up!!!

Even if She says NO, i will be comforted.  

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 817

Tallen said:

(aaah    something to look forward to?)

i kind of figured what You've said
but was hoping for a magick spell or potion to ease my suffereing.

thank You for the kind response.

Easily said but try and concentrate on the fond memories you have of your beloved pet. Thereby keeping them alive and with you in your memory. One of my favorite quotes, when pondering the life of a loved one who has transitioned, is by Dr. Seuss, he wrote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

CrazyPrincess_Chlo
Chloe A. Harper-Ashton
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 10th Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 21

Kou_Indigo said:

I had a hamster named Marvin who was a big fluffy teddy bear hamster... and yes, that really is a kind of hamster, one that is a lot furrier than regular hamsters. Poor Marvin got loose just like your hamster did and tried to crawl down into the pipes by way of the radiators. But we were lucky! My mother caught him crawling out of a pipe in the basement, so she saved his little life. He died of old age in the end, and was really, really fat by then too! He had quite the appetite. The pet I often find that I miss the most was my cat Mittens, who I raised from a kitten. And that totally rhymed! Lol. Mittens was loyal though... when he got old, he wandered off for a bit but came back home to me, where he finally died. That made me cry quite a bit, and I was about eighteen years old at the time... but he had been such a member of the family, that his death really did have quite the impact on everyone. Grief over the loss of a pet is quite normal, and you always will miss the pets that you loved the most. Butterbear has to be one of the most simply adorable names for a hamster that I have ever heard! Chloe, you have a very sweet imagination to come up with something like that. I don't mind if you're a bit on the weird side... me, I often pride myself on how unusual I am. If your sister thinks you are weird, then that only means that she does not understand you. I say, own your uniqueness and never lose what it is that makes you special... or weird, as your sister would call it. I rather have a great fondness for weird people, myself! To me, they often turn out to be more normal... at least by my standards... than most "normal" people tend to be. Normalcy, at least by the common definition of such, is highly overrated in my book!  At any rate, I like the way you think.

OMG! You and I are so much alike, Kara... Sibyl was right about that. Our hamsters even had the same psycho suicidal tendencies it seems. Only at least your mom saved yours! Mine went the way of the dodo, unfortunately. At least we gave ours a good funeral though, before burying it in the backyard. Got to love backyard pet funerals! Makes me cry every time.

Go to page:
Go to: