Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Should sport and politics mix?

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 164

Viddax said:It would seem simply perverse and inhuman if sports and politics were kept completely separate; large gatherings will almost inevitably have some politics connected to them.
By that I mean the 'vanilla' or 'basic' politics based on location and culture. What could be described as 'banter' or friendly rivalry; highlighting of differences to create a 'us' and 'them' dynamic. A dynamic that feeds upon the differences and doesn't actually want everyone to be the same; where one side is not objectively better than the other.

The problem seems to be when differences and actions are curtailed or banned or frowned upon. Where expression is repressed, because the underlying issue is not being addressed.
The sad truth seeming to be that the rolling bandwagon of today's rallying cry, that changes from one thing to the next, highlights that issues still exist and Utopia is but a dream.

Politics in Sport can get to a very large audience, a very interested and passionate audience; they are invested in the sport and are inclined to invest time and thought into any associated politics. This is better than having sport as strange physical only thing, that doesn't dare challenge any status quo, for fear of having some purpose other than simply sport.

It annoys me that some people want things to be one thing only and nothing more: as if life, the universe, and everything, is not a complex wondrous thing.
It is possible to have sport, with politics on the side as a light garnish that hardly anyone notices or cares for. The whole concept of teams is irrevocably attached to politics, but it is a nice watered-down familiar version that isn't particularly new or interesting.

I avoid topics like this for good reason.  We all have our own opinions, like our assholes as they say.
But, your comment is intelligent, insightful, and a welcome read.  
Well said.  Regardless if I, or anyone, agrees with you, you made excellent, rational, articulate points.  That's to be respected.  

PAR
PAULO ACACIO RAMOS
Fire of Insight
Portugal 17awards
Joined 26th May 2022
Forum Posts: 221

Being alive is a political act so politics are mixed in everything we do.

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 164

PAR said:Being alive is a political act so politics are mixed in everything we do.

Being alive is a biological act.  Until someone tries to tell you what team colors you should wear and what to root for.  You decide to accept the politics of it all, or not.

PAR
PAULO ACACIO RAMOS
Fire of Insight
Portugal 17awards
Joined 26th May 2022
Forum Posts: 221

For sure!

Go to page:
Go to: