lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14309

Hullo again

so, I'm going to publish   ...I dunno, let's say outta the blue   a novel

would you give me permission to use your poem (it's absolutely fantastic etc)  thanks in advance.

if yes, why ?

or why not ?

Magdalena
Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
62awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2977

No. Because I want to use my stuff for my own novel.😁

Yes, if you make me a character writing my poem in your novel.
I want royalties too.
Screw me over and I will hunt you down with a silent hex.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

that's fair enough, Lady. so, I'm thinking set in the mid-to-late 80s when you were born. I see a meteor shooting towards a Welsh valley  ...but is it a meteor at all.

I give you

Spartalena the rise and rise of

I think it's prudent for people to ask questions. lotsa deception floating around the web

so, fair enough you wouldn't bite on the novel thing.

what would you bite on

(this is a family thread)

poet Anonymous

Not a shits chance in hell Iíd give permission to somebody behind a screen I donít know to touch my stuff.

As you can see, Iím kinda on the fence about it.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

OK, so there's room for you to be convinced :),

aren't online magazines n such behind a screen.  it's probably odd, but I didn't have any bothers about giving an online magazine permission. p'raps I'm a bit flippant

so, whats the ideal process for permissions and such for you ?

Magdalena
Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
Joined 21st Apr 2012

lepperochan said:that's fair enough, Lady. so, I'm thinking set in the mid-to-late 80s when you were born. I see a meteor shooting towards a Welsh valley  ...but is it a meteor at all.

I give you

Spartalena the rise and rise of

I think it's prudent for people to ask questions. lotsa deception floating around the web

so, fair enough you wouldn't bite on the novel thing.

what would you bite on

(this is a family thread)

Haha, you flatter me so.

Okay, true story...
I was born in 1963, during the, big freeze. In a house,upstairs in the bedroom, with a big blazing fire, the midwife and my Spanish grandmother, who couldn't speak English. And my mother of course.
I didn't want to come out, so they were there into the night, my grandmother had her rosary in her hand.
When I entered the world,  my face was covered in a caul. It was attached and hooped around my ears.
My grandmother ripped it off my face and threw it in the fire, did the sign of the cross and said it was a bad omen.
You couldn't see my face for the blood.
And, I  am, apparently,  what is known as, a caulbearer, or witch, or maybe,  woman.

The start of a supernatural story maybe.

I like spartalena  😁

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:OK, so there's room for you to be convinced :),

aren't online magazines n such behind a screen.  it's probably odd, but I didn't have any bothers about giving an online magazine permission. p'raps I'm a bit flippant

so, whats the ideal process for permissions and such for you ?

For me, I think itís all about trust and how much I know a person. Doesnít mean they wonít fuck you over, but it lowers the risk significantly I think.

Back in the day, I too was published in Ataktiís online magazine. But then I did know her a little bit.

If it was a complete stranger who Iíd never had any interaction with in my life, I think Iíve been fucked up a little too much by people on the internet. I dunno, maybe my walls are just twenty foot high and electrified these days.

Wafflenose
Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
14awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 943

I'd do it for someone I actually knew as a friend, in much the same way that I've played at the weddings of friends and relatives as a wedding gift.  For a total stranger?  No chance.  Someone on a local FB page was looking for musicians to play at his wedding for free (in exchange for a bit of food and exposure.  How much 'exposure' actually IS there for musicians at a random's wedding?!)  I wouldn't play for nothing, and I wouldn't give away my work for nothing.  I might not be an expert, but my poems are mine.

I'm not trying to be provocative or nasty here... but why can't you write your own poems for your novel?  I'm sure you're more than talented enough to be able to write from other people's perspectives, in different styles.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

# Missy

yeah, trust is important and Atakti (where the hell are you) was absolutely trustworthy and transparent. that's to say she linked us to her magazine some months in advance so we could make an informed decision

might be no harm to do that either way before permissions. have a look at the magazine, previous publications, comments n such. check Google for any complaints

thanks much for that wisdom, Lady. we're both knocking around for a bit, no harm for new members to have something to consider on the off-chance someone does pop up with a novel to fill

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Magdalena said:

Haha, you flatter me so.

Okay, true story...
I was born in 1963, during the, big freeze. In a house,upstairs in the bedroom, with a big blazing fire, the midwife and my Spanish grandmother, who couldn't speak English. And my mother of course.
I didn't want to come out, so they were there into the night, my grandmother had her rosary in her hand.
When I entered the world,  my face was covered in a caul. It was attached and hooped around my ears.
My grandmother ripped it off my face and threw it in the fire, did the sign of the cross and said it was a bad omen.
You couldn't see my face for the blood.
And, I  am, apparently,  what is known as, a caulbearer, or witch, or maybe,  woman.

The start of a supernatural story maybe.

I like spartalena  😁

I like Spartalena too

but more than that, every time you talk about yourself it's like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuuuhuhhhhk" what the hell was that

oncore

Magdalena
Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
Joined 21st Apr 2012

lepperochan said:

I like Spartalena too

but more than that, every time you talk about yourself it's like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuuuhuhhhhk" what the hell was that

oncore

I could write a novel from all of the  fuuuuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuuuhuhhhhk, times in my life. 🙃

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Wafflenose said:I'd do it for someone I actually knew as a friend, in much the same way that I've played at the weddings of friends and relatives as a wedding gift.  For a total stranger?  No chance.  Someone on a local FB page was looking for musicians to play at his wedding for free (in exchange for a bit of food and exposure.  How much 'exposure' actually IS there for musicians at a random's wedding?!)  I wouldn't play for nothing, and I wouldn't give away my work for nothing.  I might not be an expert, but my poems are mine.

I'm not trying to be provocative or nasty here... but why can't you write your own poems for your novel?  I'm sure you're more than talented enough to be able to write from other people's perspectives, in different styles.

important to value your work. I think I should probably value mine more if I'm honest. thanks for your experience.  

the question is also very important so I blacked it up some more. thank you for asking it

Wafflenose
Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
14awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 943

You're welcome.

MadameLavender
MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States
83awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5505

Wafflenose said:
I'm not trying to be provocative or nasty here... but why can't you write your own poems for your novel?  .

You'll find your answer, here....

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/suggestions/read/12321/

rabbitquest
rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2049

If its a historical novel, you could involve the potatoe...
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR5H3gLr/

Go to page:
Go to: