Go to page:

So, how are we all?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

Nordeca said:The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, I've got a roof over my head, food to eat, clean water to drink, clothes on my back, I can open my computer and listen to every song ever recorded; it's a good day.

I LOVE your gratitude for the simple things that so many take for granted by focusing on what they perceive they lack!

Hey, Waffle! Where are you? I forgot all about this thread!

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 164

Nordeca said:The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, I've got a roof over my head, food to eat, clean water to drink, clothes on my back, I can open my computer and listen to every song ever recorded; it's a good day.

Awesome.

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021

I just ate a huge pork steak and three over easy eggs.  Waiting for the food coma to take over.  Lol.  I have a million things to do, but hopefully I have a million days left...

Another VA appointment coming up Tuesday, when they advise me to cut back on my bad habits.  Never mind the fact that I go to the VA because of the bad results from the "habit" of Army life back then.  Grrrrr
No regrets.  

Well, okay, some.  LOL.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Styxian said:
I just ate a huge pork steak and three over easy eggs.  Waiting for the food coma to take over.  Lol.  I have a million things to do, but hopefully I have a million days left...

Another VA appointment coming up Tuesday, when they advise me to cut back on my bad habits.  Never mind the fact that I go to the VA because of the bad results from the "habit" of Army life back then.  Grrrrr
No regrets.  

Well, okay, some.  LOL.

Thank you for your service. My father was AF 20 years and served in Korea, two tours in Nam, and assisted in the evacuation during the fall of Saigon. He suffered from PTSD ( and the bottom of a bottle )  and told me once that the war never ended for a soldier when I ignorantly asked him once how it felt when the war ended. . .

I do hope they treat you fairly there. Veterans, in my opinion, have been largely discarded by American politicians and it's heartbreaking.

SonderNinja
BenjaminEC
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 22nd May 2022
Forum Posts: 81

One of the great perks of my job is all the nature walks I get to take (on the clock, I might add). It was either on Wednesday or Thursday, I was resting along the path and heard something creeping through the tall grass and into the nearby brush...it was a femaleEastern wild turkey, and she made me, but I sat still so she kept on creeping after about a minute of checking me out, and that's when I saw them, 3, 4 maybe 5 little poults following her lead through the weeds and up the hill to a small copse, a good place to watch for predators. She was clearing the path of snakes (rattlers, plus turkeys feed on the black snakes) and also keeping the hatchlings safely hidden from eagles and hawks. Unfortunately, getting my camera out at would have ruined the moment, which I give a lot of effort to live inside of for the most part. Any day I get to see the elusive baby turkey is a great day. It's not an easy sight, and it just came walking up to me. I didn't even have to be all that patient lol

Also, multiple sets of twin fawns this year, which is a little weird. I'll keep an eye on the situation.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5805

☝️ that sounds absolutely idyllic. I’m hoping I am at least able to get outside partially this year. Doing well so far.

Not a bad day. Physio this morning. Phone call with the twin this afternoon. Lemon drizzle cake this evening.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5805

Public service announcement: British people were not built for anything over 20 centigrade. 🥵

#FuckTheBritishHeatwave

SonderNinja
BenjaminEC
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 22nd May 2022

Northern_Soul said:☝️ that sounds absolutely idyllic. I’m hoping I am at least able to get outside partially this year. Doing well so far.

Not a bad day. Physio this morning. Phone call with the twin this afternoon. Lemon drizzle cake this evening.

Some days truly border on being adequately described as idyllic, and I wonder how could I even deserve such, but I have learned to be cautious. This type of calm is the type of calm that usually precedes some great personal storm or emotional calamity. Of course, I am ever grateful for mobility. Glad to hear you are doing well.

It was almost hot today here, but I know that this is just a prologue for the wrath to come. I've been drinking a daily concoction of 1 tablespoon red apple cider vinegar (with the 'mother') mixed with honey & hot water, and already I have discovered two ticks have died as a result of biting me. Perhaps it all seems a bit too holistic to be a legitimate ward for the little bloodsuckers, at least in the hard, scientific sense, but it seems to be working. I have every reason to be crawling with the little fockers, being out in the bush so much, so I I've trying this for a few years now.

SonderNinja
BenjaminEC
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 22nd May 2022

In other news, I recently posted an old work titled "Selachophilia", which is about a mountain hillbilly savage who is both fascinated and terrified by the vastness of the ocean. I'm fairly intimidated starting at the 4' mark. Through wonderful serendipity or synchronicity (your choice), I read an article today about a girl Ella Reed, the REAL deal in terms of 'selachophilia'. Sure, great whites get most of the publicity, but bull sharks are true psycho horrors. Tough chick. Just wanted to share the luck

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12180763/Jaws-Florida-teen-13-swims-giant-tiger-shark-just-month-attack.html

https://dnyuz.com/2023/06/10/13-year-old-shark-attack-survivor-ella-reed-helps-researchers-tag-predators/

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021

Northern_Soul said:Public service announcement: British people were not built for anything over 20 centigrade. 🥵

#FuckTheBritishHeatwave

I've lived in Florida most of my life, and I'm still not used to it!   I went swimming today though,  so that helped!

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021

Ahavati said:

Thank you for your service. My father was AF 20 years and served in Korea, two tours in Nam, and assisted in the evacuation during the fall of Saigon. He suffered from PTSD ( and the bottom of a bottle )  and told me once that the war never ended for a soldier when I ignorantly asked him once how it felt when the war ended. . .

I do hope they treat you fairly there. Veterans, in my opinion, have been largely discarded by American politicians and it's heartbreaking.

Hoo rah for your dad!  I salute him!
The VA has been stellar to me, and for me.  I have no complaints and a ton of appreciation for their services.  I'm basically fine, and yet there are so many who are not.  The VA is a godsend to millions.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Styxian said:

Hoo rah for your dad!  I salute him!
The VA has been stellar to me, and for me.  I have no complaints and a ton of appreciation for their services.  I'm basically fine, and yet there are so many who are not.  The VA is a godsend to millions.

Thank you for your salute to my father. He would salute you back, and probably is from the other side. I have no doubt the employees of VA hospitals care and do their best and am happy you are one who has been treated with care and compassion.

My comment regarding politicians was the fight over veterans' benefits in the recent political scene. I don't understand why it's always SS or VA benefits that seem to be on the chopping block, but there you have it.

Thirty million fewer healthcare visits. Fewer staff, increased claims backlog, longer wait times for benefits. Almost a $30 billion shortfall for veterans funding. That’s the uncertainty that awaits America’s veterans, should Congressional Republicans succeed in dramatically slashing federal spending as House Speaker Kevin McCarthy proposed on April 19.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2023/04/24/proposed-gop-cuts-would-slash-30-billion-from-veterans-spending/

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021

Ahavati said:

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2023/04/24/proposed-gop-cuts-would-slash-30-billion-from-veterans-spending/

In Florida, we have a rep name Billirakis (spelling may be off), who is outstanding with ensuring veterans benefits and rights, etc. He is long term for good reason.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Styxian said:

In Florida, we have a rep name Billirakis (spelling may be off), who is outstanding with ensuring veterans benefits and rights, etc. He is long term for good reason.

I'm impressed by his record and who he fights for.

https://bilirakis.house.gov/

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021

Ahavati said:

I'm impressed by his record and who he fights for.

https://bilirakis.house.gov/

I'm impressed with your follow up!

Go to page:
Go to: