So, how are we all?

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5601

DaisyGrace said:

I don't officially junk journal, but i put things that i want to keep (that other people would probably see as junk) in my journal. bits of wrapping paper, movie tickets, receipts, newspaper clippings, recipes from magazines, candy wrappers, dried flowers and leaves, etc etc etc. my journal is like the hub of my world. ha! it includes my calendar, all the junk, snippets of poems, fully formed poems, to-do lists, packing lists, prose when i just need to get something out of my head, things my boys say that i want to remember, etc. all the etc.  

Girrrl. This is the kind of journalling I can get behind. Mine is much the same. A bit recipe book. A bit arty. A bit full of doodles. A bit pressed flowers. A bit grimoire. A bit of a poem dump. Full of mementos. Gig streamers. Bus tickets.

I really love journalling recently. It’s such a great creative process.

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 1135

Aah, thank you. Mine were manageable until about four years ago! At the moment I have four inhaled medications, nasal spray, eye drops, two antihistamines and just finished a week of prednisone. It did really work and knocked out the worst of them (for now) and then I got sick. Urgh!

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1337

Northern_Soul said:

Girrrl. This is the kind of journalling I can get behind. Mine is much the same. A bit recipe book. A bit arty. A bit full of doodles. A but pressed flowers. A bit grimoire. A bit of a poem dump. Full of mementos. Gig streamers. Bus tickets.

I really love journalling recently. It’s such a great creative process.

you should see my kitchen journals. i have one for sweet and one for savory. you can see the evolution of the recipe in there. the pages are warped from spilled milk, egg white drips, water, flour and cornmeal getting stuck in the spine. i love them.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

DaisyGrace said:

you should see my kitchen journals. i have one for sweet and one for savory. you can see the evolution of the recipe in there. the pages are warped from spilled milk, egg white drips, water, flour and cornmeal getting stuck in the spine. i love them.

What an amazing heirloom to pass on though. Fantastic! I totally love when outside influences become part of the page. That’s where the real story begins.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Sunday update: I baked a celebration cake today for my friend’s birthday on Tuesday. I had to bake it twice because I came out of the bathroom to find my ninja cat had managed to break into the cupboard and was merrily noshing through the first one. Also managed to spill an entire bag of plain flour and a glass of water off the counter at the same time whilst I was sat on my stool to decorate my cake. Not gonna lie, the resulting paste across my lap looked a little bit like a wayward bukkake party with the pillsbury doughboy.

However, I managed to finish the damn cake. And now I need tea.

… and you? 🤣

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021

I've been sick as a dog with a sinus infection, chest infection and double ear infection. I'm hopping mad about it, because of swimming. We managed to go out and have some fun on my birthday anyway, but the next few days were rough. Happily, I now have one sore ear instead of two, and a chest full of rubbish, but have perked up considerably. All I can say about it is that gymnastics should be available on prescription.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

… not really any use for gymnastics right now, me. Though I’m not ruling out crutch pole vault as a future Olympic sport. 🤣

Hope you feel better soon!

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021

HA! Well it's not as if I'm actually DOING any (smashed my elbow to bits years ago, can't put any weight on my left arm, thus even a handstand is now impossible) but I watch it every day. Plenty of stuff from the Europeans to watch right now!

Crutch pole vault would be cool! We could also take part in: synchronised swearing, synchronised falling over, the walking stick toss, the 10 metre hobble and open water floating.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Wafflenose said:HA! Well it's not as if I'm actually DOING any (smashed my elbow to bits years ago, can't put any weight on my left arm, thus even a handstand is now impossible) but I watch it every day. Plenty of stuff from the Europeans to watch right now!

Crutch pole vault would be cool! We could also take part in: synchronised swearing, synchronised falling over, the walking stick toss, the 10 metre hobble and open water floating.

How about urban skiing. Get my crutches, tie a few bin lids to our feet and find the nearest skate ramp. I feel crutch javelin would also be a good choice.

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021

Urban skiing would be amazing, but we both know it would result in serious injury!

Billy_Snagg
Rist Jizzmann
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 37awards
Joined 14th Apr 2018
Forum Posts: 235

It might Ellie but you are not Gwyneth Paltrow, so, touch wood, you should be okay & I'm sure you would have followed the safety guidance. 🤣

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Wafflenose said:Urban skiing would be amazing, but we both know it would result in serious injury!

You know it!

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021

I have a job interview tomorrow, for something I've wanted for DECADES. I'm terrified. Not of the interview (and example lesson), but of the fallout if I don't get it.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Wafflenose said:I have a job interview tomorrow, for something I've wanted for DECADES. I'm terrified. Not of the interview (and example lesson), but of the fallout if I don't get it.

Best of luck to you! Hope it goes well.

I’ve just been for a pub lunch with the other half. Had an extremely lovely mixed bean burger. Was slightly surreal when the bloody U.K. Government threat to life tester alarm went off half way through that I completely forgot about after just putting a fork full of guacamole in my mouth. I thought Putin had sat on the fkn red button for a minute before I remembered.  

SonderNinja
BenjaminEC
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 22nd May 2022
Forum Posts: 74

I've been meaning to get out of my internet shell for a while now, in fact, I meant to come speak to the world (and by "world" I mean you all reading this) during my "sometimes annual, all depends" April Fool's New Year's celebration, which ended up being time worked reading gas wells and collecting tipping fees, so no celebration happened. Same thing happened for May Day last week. I just keep procrastinating. Not really "writer's block" going on or anything, I'm just distracted. And lazy. Thta's what it REALLY is for most people, I think.

Watched the Kentucky Derby the other day and it reminded me of my dad, who died in Feb two years ago. He was pretty much a teetotaler as far what he put into his body but he definitely harbored a small vice for the dogs & horses, and unlike me was a fairly shrewd & cautious bettor. It wasn't until after his passing I learned how much was paid for with winnings lol. Much more than initially realized.

Just happened to hear part of Steely Dan's "Aja" on autoplay today and those songs really call me back to some of my oldest memories. He took my brother & I on a deep sea fishing trip in South Carolina when I was about 9 or 10, then to Florida for another fishing trip the following summer...all I remember about being on the ocean was getting violently ill and my brother and father catching a lot of fish, actually having the legs for it, and having a pretty good time. Anyway, at my brother's insistence we listened to Steely Dan's "Aja" the whole trip, front to back then all over again during the first Myrtle Beach trip, then the same with the "Gaucho" for the Daytona trip the following year, and we listened to that tape over & over again. God, how I despised those records then. Never wanted to hear them ever again. I wanted listen to ZZ Top or that Night Ranger tape. Fast forward to the 90s and Steely becomes one of the only bands that really meant something to me, and now it's my brother who hates them now. Haha funny how life works like that. I think My dad tried to bond us a little, but my brother & I are simply on very different paths. I don't think he even remembers. My dad drove to Miami and it was a very exciting thing for a 10 year old boy from the sticks! In my family it often felt like I was the only one who had any emotional experience. This feeling is like a close cousin to Mandela Effect LOL

My mother is taking the one-step-forward/two-steps-back approach to recovery but we're surviving and occasionally thriving. Between that and taking care of the landfill I'm fairly distracted, but I'm still trying to get in here on DUP and judge a competition or two, maybe even leave a comment, if there's no retrograde crap mucking with my communication controls (like there is right this minute!). I'm mulling some stuff but I need fewer distractions to actually be creative with words and make them mean something again. More to say, I'll figure it out soon...I got some time to burn from work so I have all this week off to catch up on gardening and kick the tires on few other ideas. Oh great, look at all the pressure I just put on myself.

Always happy to catch up with the poets here and hope things are going well for all of you. Thanks for reading.

Go to page:
Go to: