Go to page:

SHARING THREAD spiritual paths , sites, books and  events

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5564

That’s awesome. I’m gonna look up some of those names.

So my fields of interest:

•Druidry / Celtic spirituality / British witchcraft (practice & history)
•Folklore & myth / folk medicine
•Osteomancy / tarot / ogham
•Herbs & plants
•Clairaudience
•Crystals/fossils/natural minerals
•Sisterhood / feminism / sexuality / empowerment
•Meditation & mindfulness

Some favourite books of mine:

Wortcunning: A folk medicine herbal by Nigel G Pearson

A Druid’s Herbal by Ellen Every Hopman

Madame Pamita’s magical tarot by Madame Pamita

Folk witchcraft by Roger J Horne

DruidCraft by Phillip Carr Gomm

When a pagan prays by Nimue Brown

Any book by Raymond Buckland

Bones, shells, and curios by Michelle Jackson

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

I’m really glad to hear that you’re a collector of shells and stones. I’m a bit of a magpie when it comes to stuff like that. My altar space is filled with feathers and bones and river stones I’ve picked up when out in nature.

Wild swimming has become a big part of my practice, and my understanding of the world (and it keeps me sane!) so I have a huge connection to the water. I’m a Pisces too…

Following a natural path doesn’t have to cost any money at all. I think when we work with what is naturally around us, it makes our practice so much more personal.

Lovely stuff. 🙂

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

I’m an OBOD’ie here in the U.K. so it pleases me greatly to see them in the Netherlands doing their thang. Nothing but love for OBOD 🥰

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

So yes, I’m an ovate currently. You’re right, it’s bard, ovate, and Druid. I’ve been at the ovate grade for about two years because I had to pause studies due to being put on furlough during covid lockdown and money was a bit tight.

But ovate suits me very well because it’s more practical - herbs, and divinatory studies. Goes more into myth too which is grand. I feel like I can really process the grade a bit more taking it slow rather than rushing through it.

I haven’t actually been to an OBOD camp, though I am part of a local grove which meets on the sabbats. My practice is mainly solitary. I’d definitely go to one of the camps, it’s just finding someone to go with locally that doesn’t think my whole foray into Paganism is bat shit crazy. 🤣

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 31awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

So, to summarise briefly, a general categorisation of the three different grades accords the arts to the bards, the skills of prophecy and divination to the Ovates and philosophical, teaching, counselling and judicial tasks to the Druid.

The Ovate grade really looks into divinatory practices in a more in depth level. The ovates were the healers, the seers, the midwives etc.

My neighbours… ahaha 😂 I think they think I’ve lost the plot. So I make my own cleansing smoke sticks from locally collected mugwort, and homegrown sage and rosemary that is dried out the year before. I’m always walking round the outside of the house with my little herb bundle cleansing the hearth or walking round the garden wafting smoke round my plants. I’m sure my neighbours must think I’m smoking something illegal 🤣

But yeah, I have hagstones and a witches ladder at the front door, and a massive wreath at Yule I make myself with a twig pentacle in the middle. I go into the woods and bring parts of different trees home to make my wreath every year to bring the green in (that’s the whole original practice of Xmas trees anyway) so I’m quite sure my neighbours know. I’m always playing my drum under a full moon in the back garden or some shit. 🤣

Offering to other people… this is where I get conflicted about things.

So, I’m a trained reiki master. I’m also a tarot  / bone reader. I also forage my own herbs for salves and spell blends. But I’ve always offered those things for free because my heart is with people — I just enjoy helping people… does that make sense?

I guess the same would apply to Druidic teaching. At this stage, I’d probably say on a personal level, I’d like to offer that teaching. But I have no plan to make it a business if that makes sense?

In a way, I guess poetry is definitely one of the ways I express my bardic skills for sure. And that has spilled out into real life with the running of writing workshops I do for women, and other parts of my creative life for sure. So maybe in a way, I already do.

Maybe I’ll feel differently at the Druid grade which explores how to be of service to your community.

I’ve been thinking about celebrancy for a little while too… so maybe that will help collate my thoughts on that.

… Sorry, I’ve talked about way more than I expected to there. 😂

Picture is also stunning 👍🏻

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: