Go to page:

Whatís the story of your avatar?

Casted_Runes
Casted_Runes
Thought Provoker
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 161

I think for me it would just represent something light subtly repurposed as something dark, which is a dichotomy I love in art and entertainment. The delicate surface and the grisly depth, the sweet and the bitter. A toffee apple with a razor blade inside it, or what Robert Browning called the honest thief, the superstitious atheist, the tender murderer...

Styxian
Styxian
Fire of Insight
United States
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 49

Northern_Soul said:(Do Americans say Barney? Ö See Cockney rhyming slangÖ youíre welcome. 😜)

That purple dinosaur was terrifying AF tho. No sir. Gave me a cold sweat thinking about waking up and just seeing that purple face. Nayyyyy lad. 😝

Luckily it couldn't move very fast.  

On a side note, Missy.  I am thinking about trying to figure out how to do a loudspeaker poem thingie. (I know, wrong forum!) I use a tablet, so I dunno if all the proper tools are available.  But you got me motivated to try.
 Keep in mind that I have to really concentrate on speaking correctly and all that.  Woosah and maybe a few drinks.  Lol.  I will be a dragon!  (not).
But it's now like a hurdle staring at me.   Dammit!  

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England
22awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 4335

Styxian said:

Luckily it couldn't move very fast.  

On a side note, Missy.  I am thinking about trying to figure out how to do a loudspeaker poem thingie. (I know, wrong forum!) I use a tablet, so I dunno if all the proper tools are available.  But you got me motivated to try.
 Keep in mind that I have to really concentrate on speaking correctly and all that.  Woosah and maybe a few drinks.  Lol.  I will be a dragon!  (not).
But it's now like a hurdle staring at me.   Dammit!  

Cool. Shoot me a message if you need anything pal.

Kou_Indigo
Kou_Indigo
Kara Lucielle Pythiana
Dangerous Mind
United States
62awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2586

Mine is a photograph of me that was taken around Halloween of 2019. I decided to do a Joker cosplay that year, and I posed for a whole series of pictures that I eventually put up in their entirety over on DeviantArt. The cosplay turned out so well, that I decided to use one of the pictures of me as the Joker for my Avatar... and I have been using it ever since. I always get a lot of compliments on it too, with people telling me that I have a very nice smile. Which makes me very happy! So, all in all it was a positive experience in the end. :)

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England
Joined 10th Jan 2021

@kou_indigo

Ö and a lovely smile it is too! I canít actually remember the last time I dressed up as anything. Kinda making me want to now 😂

RevolutionAL
RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa
27awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1247

I love this thread. It kinda makes me think of a avatar fashion show 😃 😀

I know it's a little off topic but...

I've come to realize that I even think of people as their Avatar. Lepp is a good example...it's been years since but I still think of him as movie logo catching Casper. Hemi and his red car. The Viddax mastery.

Those are just examples but yes when anyone mentions them, that's what comes to mnd.

Just thought it interesting.

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England
Joined 10th Jan 2021

RevolutionAL said:I love this thread. It kinda makes me think of a avatar fashion show 😃 😀

I know it's a little off topic but...

I've come to realize that I even think of people as their Avatar. Lepp is a good example...it's been years since but I still think of him as movie logo catching Casper. Hemi and his red car. The Viddax mastery.

Those are just examples but yes when anyone mentions them, that's what comes to mnd.

Just thought it interesting.

Na itís relevant here. I guess you just connect people with certain things. Like Abra and whatever the avatar is, Viddax and his pumpkin head, and you always being synonymous with clowns. Itís comforting to see them in a strange way. They feel like a constant.

They almost become part of the psyche even more so than the name.

Magdalena
Magdalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2947

Casted_Runes said:

I think thatís how you know itís the right image for you. You go through a process of trying different things until you donít have to think about it anymore because itís comfortable.

Definitely this for me. As I have said more times than I can remember, my profile picture is mostly always of myself and I keep the pictures uptodate. It's a "healing process" for me, for my mind after suffering for a long time with body image etc.
The longer I leave the same picture of me there, the better I am doing, the more comfortable I am.
It has been some time since I've hated what I see.

My picture at the moment is of me some months back, taking my sisters dog for a walk and leaning against a tree. The only filter is the natural light from the sky. It was only about a year ago, maybe a bit longer when I stopped using only filtered pictures.
My last relationship was physically and mentally abusive. It was 11 years before I got out, 2 years of him stalking me after, and 7 years before facing the "real world" again.
He would take pictures and videos of me, whether that was in the shower, during sex, dressed, whatever, all without my permission, he could never grasp the meaning of, no.
He would make me look at them. Every episode crippled my self confidence until it was destroyed.
I'm tenacious in all walks of my life, with the exception of my BDD. I have come a long way with it, even to the point of reading a few of my poems live.
I'm 59 now, and with age has come so much mental clarity. I have always attracted controlling humans. Even to this day, there are those who try to force themselves on me, in work, where I live (my street) There are men who have been asking me out for the past years and still do, the same men, even though I have said, no, too many times, and that speaks volumes to me about them. One told me only weeks ago, that he had been looking for me on dating sites. I don't do dating sites. I was sat on my doorstep with my sisters dog, he invaded my space and told me that.
I'am 100% happy with being single.

I have learnt that the more someone changes their pictures of themselves online, the more pictures they post of themselves etc, even famous people. It is not because they love themsleves, it's the complete opposite.  

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England
Joined 10th Jan 2021

@magdalena

Iím so sorry that another human being made you feel like that. Humans are beautiful, but they can also be cruel, and thatís not right either.

Iím glad youíre living your life despite all of this, and posting your pictures. It made me smile to think that itís a positive thing for you. And all this good from just an avatar. Magic really. ☀️💚

javalini
javalini
Fire of Insight
United States
9awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 128

I've thought about changing my avatar, but can't part with that solitary bird -- solitary being the key word. Out on a limb. Probably unnoticed. Watching everything. Perhaps seeing more than he wishes.
For awhile my avatar was a sort of nebulous blur that was maybe a face but maybe not. And then a monkey to honor my "monkey mind." I found him to illustrate a poetic effort related to Buddhism and made him my avatar.
But then I found the bird, and it still seems perfect.

Ljdynamic
Ljdynamic
Fire of Insight
United States
9awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 18th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 172

At this current moment and this one will probably be the one that stays, is because I don't want to show my face but I wanted it to be a picture of me.  I used a filter on my face to kind of cover my face but not change any features.  Well, the eye color isn't real that'd be cool though.  Reminds me of something cosmic which I really like, the butterflies just to make it pretty.  The middle finger is for the haters, past, present, and future.

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England
Joined 10th Jan 2021

@Javalini

Isnít it mad how one day weíll find something that fits us, and it becomes a part of us? Kinda like me and my mermaids. It just fits, and feels right. I like your avatarÖ the minimalism of it feels right somehow

@LJDynamic

Well who doesnít love a middle finger to the haters? 🤩 The cosmic feel to it is particularly lovely. Thanks for sharing with us!

Magdalena
Magdalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2947

Northern_Soul said:@magdalena

Iím so sorry that another human being made you feel like that. Humans are beautiful, but they can also be cruel, and thatís not right either.

Iím glad youíre living your life despite all of this, and posting your pictures. It made me smile to think that itís a positive thing for you. And all this good from just an avatar. Magic really. ☀️💚

Thank you Missy.
Life has its bitch days but it's good days too

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Magdalena said:

Thank you Missy.
Life has its bitch days but it's good days too

Oh god yes. Theyíre not all bad :)

Kou_Indigo
Kou_Indigo
Kara Lucielle Pythiana
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 15th Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2586

Northern_Soul said:@kou_indigo

Ö and a lovely smile it is too! I canít actually remember the last time I dressed up as anything. Kinda making me want to now 😂

Thank you very much for the sweet compliment, Missy! Yeah, I used to do a whole lot of cosplaying, but these days I have not had quite as much time for it as I used to.

Go to page:
Go to: