Go to page:

What’s the story of your avatar?

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5817

Out of interest because I’m in a chatty mood (and I’m nosey) what’s the story of your avatar?

Why did you choose it?

For me, I’ve historically chosen watercolour women based on “For My Lover Returning To His Wife” — one of my favourite poems by Anne Sexton.

”as for me, I am a watercolour. I wash off.”

https://genius.com/Anne-sexton-for-my-lover-returning-to-his-wife-annotated

JiltedJohnny
Fire of Insight
Netherlands 3awards
Joined 8th Apr 2022
Forum Posts: 96

Hoi hoi
I love your avatar very much. ‘In tune’ with your work.

Mine is a photo, taken in Metz (Nortern part of France) in Centre Pompidou.
It’s a work of art, intended to walk through, so that even on a cloudy day the visitor can feel sun bathed.
The fun part is also, that it was erected in the hall before the place where you buy your tickets.  I love this a lot. Even if you have no money, you can still feel the sunny sensation.

Now, how idealistic is that? I bought tickets right away. Still hooked on modern art.
What a lovely thread! Thank you.
Kind regards, Gus

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

JiltedJohnny said:Hoi hoi
I love your avatar very much. ‘In tune’ with your work.

Mine is a photo, taken in Metz (Nortern part of France) in Centre Pompidou.
It’s a work of art, intended to walk through, so that even on a cloudy day the visitor can feel sun bathed.
The fun part is also, that it was erected in the hall before the place where you buy your tickets.  I love this a lot. Even if you have no money, you can still feel the sunny sensation.

Now, how idealistic is that? I bought tickets right away. Still hooked on modern art.
What a lovely thread! Thank you.
Kind regards, Gus

Modern art (most, anyway) is a joy. You do get the sense of what is behind from that artwork. A wondering of what is beyond.

Which reminds me, I really need to visit a gallery again in a post covid shutdown world.

Thanks for sharing your story :)

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 402

My current avatar is the generic DU one for both practical and reasons related to my thoughts, feelings, and emotions, though all of them relate to the concept of anonymity. I feel safer in myself being anonymous, with only those I've built a personal connection with knowing who I am, and this relates to my ideas around both art and social media.

The best art, I feel at this point in my life, is created by those who aren't so worried about building and maintaining their self-image, how they see themselves. The best actors, as an example (and in my opinion), tend to be those who keep their private lives private, as opposed to giving the world access to everything about them.

Regarding social media, I feel that its incautious application to everyday life is the biggest unsung scandal of the 21st century and has very literally claimed lives. It's a wonderful tool, just like every tool is wonderful, going right down to the celebrated spearhead and wheel. But there's always a dark side of "wonderful", dark wonders to balance the light, the regressive and progressive, ying and yang. Not teaching people (especially young people, and I was young when modern social media first started proliferating) how to divide their public and private selves in this brave new world is the dark wonder of social media.

So... if you had the time and inclination to read all of that, that's why my avatar is nothing in particular. It was a black square for a few days, but the generic image provided by the site felt more appropriate, and less of a self-conscious statement. Whatever you choose says something about you, and the site's generic avatar says the least, I feel.

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Jeepers Casted_Runes

That's an intense decision making process for no avatar.

Are you sure you've thought this through?

;)

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

@casted_runes

Well that’s a story in itself. Thank you for sharing. I think I’m basically you in reverse. I spent most of my online life anonymous due to a bad experience with a real world stalker, and then decided to let a few people in. I think it got to the stage where I was living two separate lives, and the dichotomy of that was fucking me up a little bit.

Interestingly, the people I have met in real life from here still call me Missy to my face. And it didn’t even feel odd. 😂

You can be a lot of things on social media. But I guess it depends how you use it. If you’re always yourself, I guess you can’t be tainted by it. And the people that don’t like you being yourself just toddle on along to the next big lipped made up Instagram Princess.

Me… I’ve stopped giving a shit, really. You either like my uncensored awkward meat tractor, or you don’t. Simple as that. 😂

I wonder how the site would react if we all had generic avatars and nothing to base ourselves on.

There’s a thought.

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

RevolutionAL said:Jeepers Casted_Runes

That's an intense decision making process for no avatar.

Are you sure you've thought this through?

;)

I give you permission to treat me roughly should I falter

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Northern_Soul said:@casted_runes

Well that’s a story in itself. Thank you for sharing. I think I’m basically you in reverse. I spent most of my online life anonymous due to a bad experience with a real world stalker, and then decided to let a few people in. I think it got to the stage where I was living two separate lives, and the dichotomy of that was fucking me up a little bit.

Interestingly, the people I have met in real life from here still call me Missy to my face. And it didn’t even feel odd. 😂

You can be a lot of things on social media. But I guess it depends how you use it. If you’re always yourself, I guess you can’t be tainted by it. And the people that don’t like you being yourself just toddle on along to the next big lipped made up Instagram Princess.

Me… I’ve stopped giving a shit, really. You either like my uncensored awkward meat tractor, or you don’t. Simple as that. 😂

I wonder how the site would react if we all had generic avatars and nothing to base ourselves on.

There’s a thought.

That's great! I'm glad you've managed to find a workable relationship with that dichotomy. What I'm doing is just what I need to do to find my own.

As to your question, the site would still have our chosen usernames and, most importantly, our poetry and forum postings to base us on, with all of this material related to a base account.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Casted_Runes said:

As to your question, the site would still have our chosen usernames and, most importantly, a poetry and forum postings to base us on.

You know it’s funny. Yearsssss ago (and this was a member who isn’t a member anymore) had a bit of a thing for my avatar who was told time and time again that it wasn’t me. So we video chatted. And low and behold, they never spoke to me again, because I wasn’t the avatar

But it just makes me hyper aware that a lot of people get digital fluff confused with real life. So I guess our avatars do matter!

(Either that or people just need to calm the fuck down. That too. )

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Northern_Soul said:

You know it’s funny. Yearsssss ago (and this was a member who isn’t a member anymore) had a bit of a thing for my avatar who was told time and time again that it wasn’t me. So we video chatted. And low and behold, they never spoke to me again, because I wasn’t the avatar

But it just makes me hyper aware that a lot of people get digital fluff confused with real life. So I guess our avatars do matter!

(Either that or people just need to calm the fuck down. That too. )

That too, indeed! I remember a user having a sexy waitress as their avatar, and receiving unsolicited messages from men telling them their poetry was amazing. Though strangely these men never went into specifics about their appreciation of the poetry...

...which wasn't even written by a woman

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Oh god… I remember the sexy burger waitress. Should bring her back. She was a hoot. 😂

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Casted_Runes said:

That too, indeed! I remember a user having a sexy waitress as their avatar, and receiving unsolicited messages from men telling them their poetry was amazing. Though strangely these men never went into specifics about their appreciation of the poetry...

...which wasn't even written by a woman

I was told that my poetry sucked because it was written by clown 🤡  

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

RevolutionAL said:

Anyone who thinks a clown has nothing underneath the makeup and the funny wig is a fool indeed!

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

RevolutionAL said:

… You mean it didn’t?!…

… jokes

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 164

Oddly, I decided to use the dragon avatar for myself again this morning, before reading this forum page.  
This is an interesting question btw!

For me, and probably most of us, online writing is like a "club".  We are accepted into it, with little requirements actually.  But the point being, we feel like we are part of it.  And yet we all maintain an individual identity.  Our writings as a whole IS our identity.  A picture just applies a "finder" so to speak.  
 I am insatiably curious by nature.  I like to know more and more etc.  An actual photo is cool in that it gives that person their unique ID.   There's no guessing.  And yet an avatar is obviously like their banner, to carry into this world of words.  It is part of their poetry here.  It honestly is.  That's a lot of why they chose it.  It isn't random, just like their words aren't.
Photos are not always reality. We all know that by now.  Men sometimes pose as women, and vice versa.  It's part of the package they are selling, so to speak.  But if you read enough of their material, you will get a good idea of what they are about, on the inside.  And that is ultimately the true appeal, isn't it?

I once belonged to an online site that required you to post your actual issued ID (Critical info blocked out).  So no spammers and such could infiltrate.  They still did.  It was a horrible idea, but noble.

I chose this dragon pic because it's cool.  I'm not really a dragon.  Or that cool.  
Well, I have my good moments.  Lol.

Go to page:
Go to: