#GoHomeGota

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 2879

Hi,

First of all, I apologize for creating a political post. But I ask all DUP members to take a look at what's happening in Sri Lanka. As for today the country's president is Gotabhaya Rajapakse, who is the brother of a previous president Mahiunda Rajapakse who is the current Prime Minister.

And we have another brother Basil Rajapakse as Finance Minister, eldest brother Chamal Rajapakse as Cultural event Minister. Son of Prime Minister Namal Rajapakse as Sports Minister. Another two family members  in the Parliament.

Recently released Pandora Papers had Nirupama Rajapakse who is a cousin of the current President and her Husband. And there was no investigation.

After decades of corruption people have protested against the government with a simple request #GoHomeGota (Gota as in Gotabhaya).

I simply request you to just post this Hashtag from where you are if you can

Thanks,

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Hey Vick

Are are you in Sri Lanka as we speak?

I've heard the political unrest in the streets there is quite hectic?

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015

RevolutionAL said:Hey Vick

Are are you in Sri Lanka as we speak?

I've heard the political unrest in the streets there is quite hectic?

Hi Al,

Unfortunately no. I wish I was there as well.  This never happened in Sri Lanka , there was always groups supporting a certain political party and they come for money and food and just stand there.

But this, it's just people getting together  even the ones who voted for the current president. Last week the whole cabinet ministers resigned over night after the protest. Now it's on till president resign. But president isn't even making a statement.

It has evolved over few months and the aggressive behavior of the government trigger it. There were like four people just died standing in queue to get LP gas, even there were queues for basic food.

Many many unwise decisions. Last year president suddenly said he will stop all chemical fertilizers we will go for organic fertilizers. Just like that. Then after that they started planning on how to get the organic fertilizers. The whole season of harvest was gone and last week or so he revised it and said ok we will go back to chemical fertilizers. But today there's not enough food. And country is on debt, doesn't have the dollar reserve is minus so we can't import. Their arrogance denied going to IMF.  And these are like few.

Last week school exams were canceled because government didn't have papers to print the tests.

I voted for the previous rajapakse just after the war. But he just created his dynasty after that. So it has come this now.

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

It's so complicated 😫

We have a fairly large number of ex pats here.

They seem really concerned.
My barbar is Sri Lanken and he seemed really concerned about a possible Civil War?

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015

No bro, it wont it'll never escalate to civil war. there was no violence whatsoever. Even I've never witnessed such a peaceful, innovative & creative protest. Just follow  #GoHomeGota2022 and see the results. Its merely against the Corrupted ruling party.

Please post a #GoHomeGota2022 in social media posts.

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015

They are angry at the government but they haven't damage any o the public property, instead they keep the place clean and feeding the police and army guards surrounding them. I really wished I was a youth in these times. The energy and unity of races, religions is remarkable. especially in Sri Lanka, a country which ended and survived a 30 year war of two races. and just 3 years back 5 catholic churches were blasted by Islamic extremists.

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015

Apologies again for talking about Sri Lankan politics here.

But I wanted to update you on the Protest and give some insights. Not only because it's my country, but this is a protest I've never seen before. It has been 35 days since the peaceful protest of the people.

And the 9th of May, Prime Minister gave his resignation, and he held a small ceremony.  After ceremony day, hundreds of goons stormed and attacked the youth protesters. Nine were injured two were seriously injured. One died. And soon after seeing it on live feeds on social media, thousands of people, some just left the office desks, some with work uniforms, to attack the goons. And after people went and attacked the politicians' houses and set fire islandwide.

30+ houses were damaged, including politicians and business people who supported that political party. I just wanted to share this news here and anywhere possible. Because I, as an individual, share the mindset of the protesters.

#GoHomeGota2022

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015

Hi all, just to update here. this protest was a success. The corrupted president of Sri Lanka Gota, fled the country and resigned today morning!

poet Anonymous

Woo-hoo! 🎉 That sounds like wonderful news, Vick! Power to people!!! I love it when organized peaceful protesting actually reaps positive results.
Nicely done!

Good luck and good fortune, to you and all your fellow Sri Lankans going forward!!

🌹B

Page:
Go to: