Go to page:

Official DU NaPoWriMo 2022 Discussion

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 1127

Ah. Thanks for that... I could always start a(nother) political rant!

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 889

cabcool said:
I like this discussion. Remember, you can theme your entries; works for me every time. Last year and the one before, I worked with 5 themes of 6 poems each - human emotions, family, nature, etc.

Thank you, Cab. The year I had a theme was by far the best NaPo for me. If a subject is laid out, the words will come. I like how you have broken it into several categories.

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 864

Eerie said:

Thank you, Cab. The year I had a theme was by far the best NaPo for me. If a subject is laid out, the words will come. I like how you have broken it into several categories.

That really seems like a great idea, the categories would help me stay focused, rather than trying to come up with so many individual subjects.  I also like the idea of an overall theme…I’m willing to try anything that could help on days I might otherwise be inclined to wax on about the color of the paint in my kitchen

Cipher_O
WarlordoftheWrittenWord
Tyrant of Words
United States 19awards
Joined 7th Mar 2021
Forum Posts: 250

In last year's NaPo I learned to "plan not to plan"...

To reach into the ether at a drop of a hat...

Identify an idea and punch keys...

I found that...

Revelatory...

I mean...

Perhaps not new, but new, nevertheless, in each incarnation...

Also...

Penetration of The Fear...

I remember when I was shitting a brick,
thinking of doing a poetry reading...

Now...

I do freestyle poetry to suddenly surfaced,
textures of the temporal...

This evening I did like...

3 separate recordings...

Felt like magic...

To totally delve into one of these "poetical textures of the transitory"...

Energy loves to interact with energy...

With a tendency to compound...

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1664

I've also found proprioceptive writing helpful for generating ideas and tapping deeper into something inside that wants to be expressed creatively.
You write down an initial statement, like "I feel completely stuck" and then ask what do I mean by that? Write the answer and then egain ask what do I mean by that? and keep going ... sooner or later something will start to flow, or some clarity will hit you between the eyes.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Fabulous suggestions all around. As with poets, the Muse is as individual as it is diverse in the manner in which it delivers inspiration.

I receive my theme sometimes at the 11th hour ( I still haven't received it for '23 yet ). Then I approach it as a research topic, studying every aspect of that topic that I can, knowing that in all things there is beauty and poetry. Mine are divided into segments, but they're still about the same topic. I've learned wondrous things while participating in NaPo challenges.

It's my desire that all experience the beauty and poetry, not to mention comradery of this challenge.

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 704

Josh said:I've also found proprioceptive writing helpful for generating ideas and tapping deeper into something inside that wants to be expressed creatively.
You write down an initial statement, like "I feel completely stuck" and then ask what do I mean by that? Write the answer and then egain ask what do I mean by that? and keep going ... sooner or later something will start to flow, or some clarity will hit you between the eyes.

Thats a really interesting technique, it reminded me of something I heard, a dieting technique

'FLABS' are reasons not to overeat, but definitely to write:
That is, Frustrared, Lonely, Angry, Bored, Sad.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1664

PoetsRevenge said:
Thats a really interesting technique, it reminded me of something I heard, a dieting technique

'FLABS' are reasons not to overeat, but definitely to write:
That is, Frustrared, Lonely, Angry, Bored, Sad.

Not heard of FLABS before ... but have now. It's good to have a constructive alternative when you're trying to change a habit, eating habits being possibly one of the hardest. For health reasons I'm currently eating mainly raw food, and have had to quit tea/coffee/alcohol/lactose -- perhaps it will lead to greater clarity of mind just in time for this year's NaPo.

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 1127

I've been doing as much exercise as I can tolerate, to build up my strength and lung function after three months of Covid and asthma-related problems. I hope that will impact my brain at some point too, but so far no great poetic works have been forthcoming!!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Can you dig it?!

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

I am not entirely sure I have said yes yet, so take this as my formal declaration of attendance.

Time to dust off the corners of my mind to find the fabric for weaving words of poetry. Or failing that, ransacking the prompt competition to come up with something, or resort to answers on a postcard!

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 740

Viddax said:I am not entirely sure I have said yes yet, so take this as my formal declaration of attendance.

Time to dust off the corners of my mind to find the fabric for weaving words of poetry. Or failing that, ransacking the prompt competition to come up with something, or resort to answers on a postcard!

That's the spirit, LV! As the old adage affirms, where there is a wiil, there is a way.

Let's hope your flame will spread contagion in this place.

Cipher_O
WarlordoftheWrittenWord
Tyrant of Words
United States 19awards
Joined 7th Mar 2021
Forum Posts: 250

Have been walking a lot...

Thinking...

There is indeed so much that one gets from participation
in these sorts of challenges...

Also an oasis of energy which comes about...

Which manifests on both the individual and collective levels...

From omen to oracle...

And the energy that comes about on the individual
level, like that of the collective, continues into the future in unforeseen ways...

Last year...

I was working on some projects, and also, first and foremost, as always,
want power for the writing...

That power can come from anywhere really...

But some centers of power resonate at different frequencies...

Think about the poetic frequency...

Flex in the flux of the fluidity, into ones...  Daily operations

Become poetry in motion, even more so,
on every level, more and more, every day, into the light of enlightenment...

Had an idea:

Tantric Poetry.

:)))

muchai_muchai
Strange Creature
Joined 9th Feb 2023
Forum Posts: 1

This is a masterpiece. I love it

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015