Go to page:

Official DU NaPoWriMo 2022 Discussion

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 771

Eerie said:Given the muse has been mostly MIA for the past year, I feel like I should probably save my writing energy for April. Y’all are really bringing it home with your pre-game! NaPo 23 is gonna be big! I can feel it!
Not a disgustingly absurd idea, Eerie; remember, however, that practice makes purrfict. You can start your NaPo Sketches and keep them to yourself for the big 30 (see rules for pre-written entries).

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014

Eerie said:

When it’s 10 days in and I’m writing about the hidden country cemetery that I’ve driven to in order to plead with the universe for something to pen, y’all gonna know I’ve hit a wall

I like this discussion. Remember, you can theme your entries; works for me every time. Last year and the one before, I worked with 5 themes of 6 poems each - human emotions, family, nature, etc.

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014

Wafflenose said:I was definitely spouting nonsense by about a third of the way through! Was also super ill with asthma and allergies... soooo bad last spring. Given my recent problems, I'm hoping very hard to have things sorted out soon. Sod that!!
I remember, Waffle; you were resilient. Drink up your lemon water 1st thing on an empty stomach every morning (half a lemon to a glass of water), and try to work up a sweat each day.

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014

Fiftysevenhours said:And for me in a way, that is point.. to do it.  To share our adventures 'outwith' to those cemeteries or pickle festivals or weighed under with health and the shortness of breath, the brevity of words it brings.  They all lead us further inwards, to different places(?).  It all takes energy often energy we can I'll afford.. but how do you feel when something, anything, is given your own voice?  When you've taken a moment, a minute, an hour to simply give yourself a chance to do something for you?

Almost always when I stop and journal or as I go about talking to myself and Bear on a walk.  It's the first of thoughts which come to mind which often bring the most.  They're what you'd often find that lay behind the writes I share and post.  Be that when I'm so fatigued and all I want, is to turn the corner and feel the smile that breath of wind rises upon my face.  To those other writes that seldom if ever see the light of day.

Would you say simply doing something you are interested in or passionate about leads to better places and inevitably opens the door to the mystery of our muses?

I dig those insights, Fshours! We can often become surprisingly creative when our backs are against the wall. I remember Ljd, for instance, coming up with titles and content such as "day 15 blues" (paraphrased).

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014

Ahavati said:Excellent post, 57.  

For me, personally, I receive the most inspiration in the quiet, still moments of receiving than doing. Whether meditating or reading ( by "doing" I mean something physically assertive such as hiking, etc. ), the Muse has a chance to be heard.

Quiet music, silence, post-midnight vigils work best for me. I sometimes leave my pre-written sketches until I am tight on newer ideas. Then, 10-12 days from the end, I take life easy by patching up and posting those sketches.

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 883

Fiftysevenhours said:Would you say simply doing something you are interested in or passionate about leads to better places and inevitably opens the door to the mystery of our muses?

I find that my muse often goes missing when I am under pressure to create.  Getting myself out into the woods to wander, or braiding up a new piece on my loom allows me to dig deeper to find my voice.  The more I fully sink myself into other things I am passionate about, the more easily I can write.  Of course, the angst of NOT doing those things makes for some interesting spills as well

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

All GREAT suggestions! Having a theme can assist, especially if it's something you're passionate and knowledgeable about. I've had one for the past 6 years and will mostly have another this year. Although I may go rogue daily. Only the Muse knows!

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1738

cabcool said:
Goodness, Josh!
I feel as though I were reading The Pardoner's Tale (Geoffry Chaucer). Did you also grow up on classic drama? I love the feel of it, so nostalgic...

Nothing so high-brow as the classics I'm afraid; it was more a 'mathematical exercise' by replacing (cycling around) the vowels a-e-i-o-u in sequence -- hence the four verses all the 'same', preceeding the final 'proper' verse with all the vowels in all the right places. A sort of enforced discipline to write even when you really don't feel like it - like yoga and piano practice -- it's gotta be done  

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Another pre-NaPo warm-up. This one practising scansion, cadence & rhyme.  I hope I don't burn out before April, but countering that I'm testing the theory that the deeper one digs, the more one finds hidden and unexpected resources to draw out to the surface of consciousness. If we live in an ever-expanding universe then there is no such thing as scarcity, especially in the world of poetry. April will be an interesting month

Treating Nature as a ‘thing’
business exploitation
the masses feel the final sting
in slow annihilation
preceded by the birds and bees
who slowly disappear
we lose connections with the trees
as people live in fear
of techno-priesthoods keen to spread
salvation through technology
and when we end up robot-dead
they’ll be not one apology
and meanwhile there’s the inner work
remaining sane throughout
a duty none of us must shirk
for that’s what’s life’s about
to grow in consciousness these days
survive through all the madness
then looking back all calm, unfazed
we’ll know a kind of gladness.

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 1188

cabcool said:
I remember, Waffle; you were resilient. Drink up your lemon water 1st thing on an empty stomach every morning (half a lemon to a glass of water), and try to work up a sweat each day.

Really? For allergies? Good to know.
I've been hospitalised twice for asthma this winter and am doing as much exercise as I can tolerate, to build up my lung function and general strength.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 817

My NaPo muse typically revolves around my passions, music, family, fond or challenging memories. I am constantly amazed how everyday, in April, ideas for verse fllood my noggin. The themes suggested by the NaPo team are invaluable when personal inspiration doesn't come. I like to use my NaPo time to explore different, traditional and modern poetry formats. When thinking of ideas for poems, nothing is too ridiculous or simple. Ultimately, the key to a successful NaPo run is to have fun...make it a privilege and not a chore to write everyday...annmnd scene...soapbox stowed🤠

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 729

cabcool said:
Thanks, PR; I am in NaPo23 sketch mode, jotting down pregnant poetic propspects for my 30-poem profile.

When I call you PR, I'm also thinking POETIC REPERTOIRE!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, my Poetic Repertoire has been on screensaver lately but I'm going to boot it up and power it on even if I have to reformat it !! Will do with the help of everyone's enthusiasm :)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

I love how NaPo brings people together, and home to poetry.  <3

Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 19awards
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 1188

I currently have no ideas. Waaah!

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Wafflenose said:I currently have no ideas. Waaah!

that's an interesting idea in itself ... (the Tory government has no ideas either) ... but ideas will probably come by asking questions ...

Go to page:
Go to: