Go to page:

What's [d]up?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

Josh said:

I had to look up what the [i]Ankh hieroglyph[i] is .. so no, it wasn't intentional -- but strangely, neither can I "see it".

VeronikaB
Twisted Dreamer
Palestine
Joined 17th Aug 2020
Forum Posts: 27

YES. It is truly unbelievable that and how Josh built that triangle-hexagon-pentagon-geodesic-thingy!!! It has instantly become one of my favourite places in our garden. Love spending time with the plants and nature spirits in there.
A bit of background info:
Josh built this dome-greenhouse-magical-Eden-space in the part of our garden which was devastated by a firestorm in October 2017. He's been holding this scarred landscape for a few years in his mind and heart, asking what it wants to be.
In the beginning of 2020 the vision emerged and he started digging. Three months later or so he'd shifted over 30 tons of clay & rock by hand to create space for an 8 meter (8.75 yards) diameter dome.
Then he went and bought approx 200 linear meters of metal, and cut, shaped and colour coded the pieces into the components he needed for the dome structure. .... Fast forward another 10 months or so, and he began to bolt that pile of metal strips together. When the dome went up, nobody knew for sure, whether and how all the pieces would fit together... But of course they did!
Then we bought tons of planks of nordic pine (lucky to find this quality wood not too far from us!). Josh cut those planks into strips and made umpteen triangular frames for the windows (the infinite patience... – I lost count, you'd have to ask him how many triangular windows there are). Then those 100+ triangular frames all had to be filled with something. Josh experimented with different materials of different levels of transparency + some of the triangles had to be opening windows for ventilation (the top ones you can see on the photo are about 4 meters high, so they're operated by a hydraulic mechanism for greenhouse windows). All working beautifully now.  
It's not finished yet but definitely getting there. The plants in the dome are loving it already.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Amazing process. Thank you for sharing.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

NaPo 2021 aside, It feels GREAT to be writing again after like 3 months of NOT. Finding the time and energy has been like pulling teeth from a chicken!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Altar prep underway!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:Altar prep underway!

Make sure the bucket of Popeyes Chicken is centered and surrounded by a semi circle of buttery biscuits! [ nonsense ]

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Make sure the bucket of Popeyes Chicken is centered and surrounded by a semi circle of buttery biscuits! [ nonsense ]

No.

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1161

Josh - WOW! I have some serious garden envy now!

However, I'm still looking forward to getting out in the dirt this weekend to plant my veggies in the new raised beds my hubby just built. (Yes, we start late in my part of the world, and I'm a notoriously late gardener anyway...) Our soil has been so bad for so many years that we finally decided to give up on amending it, and built boxes to fill with brand new soil. The pressure's on - now if my harvest sucks, I can't blame it on wonky soil. Eek!

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1738

Ahavati said:

On closer inspection, it's a budding any colony which made the 'black' part and has now changed shape as it is larger and they are digging into the crumbly rock surface. Interesting 'sign' though.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1738

brokentitanium said:Josh - WOW! I have some serious garden envy now!

However, I'm still looking forward to getting out in the dirt this weekend to plant my veggies in the new raised beds my hubby just built. (Yes, we start late in my part of the world, and I'm a notoriously late gardener anyway...) Our soil has been so bad for so many years that we finally decided to give up on amending it, and built boxes to fill with brand new soil. The pressure's on - now if my harvest sucks, I can't blame it on wonky soil. Eek!

If the soil's crap (like it is here) grow boxes (or raised beds) are the way to go. Our boxes are 1m x 50cm x 50cm with lower quality soil in the bottom half and composted humus-rich soil in the top half. I've built 9 compost 'pods' (one cubic metre each) which we slowly rotate to make new soil (well the worms and edaphon microbes make it).
Fortunately I can go to the metal place locally and buy 6 metre lengths of any shape/size I want to make stuff. They still make things like wheel-barrows, woodburners etc here out of 'raw sheet metal' and basic materials.
The tomatoes planted in the dome-greenhouse are now twice as big as the ones planted outside - so my 15 months 'lockdown-project' is paying off   ...
... and Summer's suddenly arrived, hence a moment's relaxation in 'the other dome' I build a decade ago just for plants to grow over - jasmin, climbing roses, wysteria, eating-grape-vines. Today's pic.

VeronikaB
Twisted Dreamer
Palestine
Joined 17th Aug 2020
Forum Posts: 27

note the cake on the table with the first raspberries – grown in last year's grow boxes – raised beds is definitely the way to go

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1161

VeronikaB said:note the cake on the table with the first raspberries – grown in last year's grow boxes – raised beds is definitely the way to go

Oh my gosh, you two are killing me!!

I think I need to move. 😆

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

VeronikaB said:note the cake on the table with the first raspberries – grown in last year's grow boxes – raised beds is definitely the way to go

OMG! That looks delicious ( and relaxing ) inside the other geometric thingy! That is absolutely beautiful.  

Josh said:

On closer inspection, it's a budding any colony which made the 'black' part and has now changed shape as it is larger and they are digging into the crumbly rock surface. Interesting 'sign' though.
\

Yes; it was. A powerful spiritual leader in my circle revealed something to me about Ancient Egypt, and I asked the Universe for confirmation. It gave me several signs that could not be missed. It was no coincidence that you snapped that photo at exactly that time in the pattern of creation.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

I tell you what --- I could use a few of Josh's geo domes for gardening and patio plants because I woke up to frost this morning. May 29th. Ridiculous.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Hope you didn't permanently lose anything! Although I am sure the blooms are bitten. . .

Go to page:
Go to: