Go to page:

What's [d]up?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Dropping in on a "Celebration of Life" this afternoon, which I guessing is a more upbeat name for "Belated Funeral Wake".

The local bank teller is a nice lady whom I received a stray kitten from a few years back. He had taken refuge in her car's engine compartment during a rainstorm and tumbled out into a parking lot 18 miles away where then I scooped him up. Turned out, he wasn't hers, and must have crawled in at the bank.  

Anyhoo, short story needlessly made long, her husband passed away from a heart attack a couple months ago and I promised I'd attend.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14558

Well that's very nice of you to pay homage to her husband like that. Losing a partner is a very difficult thing for anyone to cope with. Especially during that first year, when they must pass through all seasons of reminders without them.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:Well that's very nice of you to pay homage to her husband like that. Losing a partner is a very difficult thing for anyone to cope with. Especially during that first year, when they must pass through all seasons of reminders without them.

Yes, she's taking it hard. I anticipate her moving to Texas soon to be near family.

The celebration will be in a lodge near a pondish lake. If the weather holds, should prove to be a beautiful day. Or it could reach 90° after several mornings of frost last week. So much for Spring!

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 882

It’s a beautiful day here in the Carolinas and I’m doing my best to enjoy it.  The dogs and cat have been soaking up the sunshine, laying in the grass and generally doing adorable animal things.  It’s a good day.  My Mother’s Day flowers have about a day or two left in them and I’m doing my best to enjoy that, too.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

The Celebration of Life turned out quite interesting. I was sitting at a table having finished off a plate of food when there was a tapping on the back of my shoulder. Nobody was behind me.

When I mentioned it to the bank teller, she joked that it probably was her husband!  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:The Celebration of Life turned out quite interesting. I was sitting at a table having finished off a plate of food when there was a tapping on the back of my shoulder. Nobody was behind me.

When I mentioned it to the bank teller, she joked that it probably was her husband!  

He must've been playful!

Luna, those are lovely flowers.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1738

Now that Veronika has submitted her latest children's story to the Chicken House publishers annual competition, progress was made this week kitting out the inside of the dome. 12 grow-boxes with good quality humus-rich soil will produce some really nice food. Hope to do tomatoes all year round. Lemon tree visible in the LH corner.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

... and slowly figuring out how to do a water cascade - to help keep humidity up too in the heat. At the bottom, you can see the top of the abandoned borehole I discovered when digging it all out - an amazingly lucky bonus. Top of the water is 3 metres down and has a further 7 metres of depth.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

THAT is just glorious, Josh. I still can't believe you built that all by yourself. It's an amazing accomplishment which will serve you for years to come. Best of luck to Veronika in the competition!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Josh, WOW. I had no idea how absolutely roomy your dome was on the inside. That is incredible.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Josh said:... and slowly figuring out how to do a water cascade - to help keep humidity up too in the heat. At the bottom, you can see the top of the abandoned borehole I discovered when digging it all out - an amazingly lucky bonus. Top of the water is 3 metres down and has a further 7 mtres of depth.

Is the Ankh hieroglyph intentional or natural?

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

LunaGreyhawk said:It’s a beautiful day here in the Carolinas and I’m doing my best to enjoy it.  The dogs and cat have been soaking up the sunshine, laying in the grass and generally doing adorable animal things.  It’s a good day.  My Mother’s Day flowers have about a day or two left in them and I’m doing my best to enjoy that, too.  

Those flowers are still looking pretty sparkly -- nice.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Ahavati said:THAT is just glorious, Josh. I still can't believe you built that all by yourself. It's an amazing accomplishment which will serve you for years to come. Best of luck to Veronika in the competition!

Thank you, "Once I'm clear, the rest is easy" -- it took me 2 years staring at this burnt out bit of land from the 2017 firestorm what to do with it, but once I 'knew', it was only a matter of time  

For the comp, we'll know in August when the long-list is made known.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

Ahavati said:

Is the Ankh hieroglyph intentional or natural?

I had to look up what the [i]Ankh hieroglyph[i] is .. so no, it wasn't intentional -- but strangely, neither can I "see it".

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

JohnnyBlaze said:Josh, WOW. I had no idea how absolutely roomy your dome was on the inside. That is incredible.

It's 8 metres in diameter, which means 4 metres high at the centre-point. Geodesic domes give you the most 'natural' volume space (half a sphere) for the footprint (skyscrapers excluded) so yes, it feels roomy but is fast filling up with plants. Bought a maracuja, (edible passion-fruit) today which will grow up the wires on the south side to give shade as well.

Go to page:
Go to: