The Politics Place

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5732

MadameLavender said:

I find myself applauding Texas, in saying "screw this, police yourselves "-- it will be interesting to watch how the pandemic continues to play out with that mindset

Personally , I'm just glad that the bank where I have my accounts , is opening the lobby on Monday -- sort of sick of sitting in the drive up line for 45 min, to make a deposit !

Online banking has been my saviour through lockdown 😂 A bank here requires a bus ride, so I’m not deeming it as essential travel yet.

I am booked in for my Covid jab next week, so I might be a bit happier to take public transport again after that. I’ll be honest I’ve been pretty scared of going out through all of this.

Texas is kinda interesting (sorry gahddess, if you’re reading this.. heh...) but part of me wonders if it’s a bit of a scapegoat situation. A “look and see what happens” kind of experiment.

Boris for all his faults (and he has manyyyy) at least has made it clear that the priority is saving lives, this time around anyway. I’ll give him that much.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5262

MadameLavender said:Ok folks , here it is:  your one stop shopping place for multi-topic political and social issues .

Rules--only one:
1.  Keep your tempers and personal grudges, in check .

--Discuss any political topic you want
--Discuss any social topic you want
-- Discuss other forum threads, here, if you want
--Post links if you want, or don't post 'em if you don't want to
--All opinions welcome
--The report button will be ignored for the following reasons :
   A.  Derailing the thread-- there is no one topic
   B.  A topic offends you --too bad, go to another thread or put on your big kid pants and discuss civilly.
---The report button will be honored for spam, personal attacks or catfishing/baiting.

So have at it, everyone -- dump it all here so all the other threads can be kept as tidy as necessary within their opening posts.

Thank You!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Northern_Soul said:

Online banking has been my saviour through lockdown 😂 A bank here requires a bus ride, so I’m not deeming it as essential travel yet.

I am booked in for my Covid jab next week, so I might be a bit happier to take public transport again after that. I’ll be honest I’ve been pretty scared of going out through all of this.

Texas is kinda interesting (sorry gahddess, if you’re reading this.. heh...) but part of me wonders if it’s a bit of a scapegoat situation. A “look and see what happens” kind of experiment.

Boris for all his faults (and he has manyyyy) at least has made it clear that the priority is saving lives, this time around anyway. I’ll give him that much.

I think, eventually , we all will have to look and see what happens.   I'm fine with wearing a mask as long as necessary until we see a solid decline in positive cases , but humanity got past every other pandemic one way or another . At least with this one, we have knowledge on our side, both from past pandemics and everything we've learned from this one.  

Bank-- yeah, online is great but doesn't work for cash earnings at the flea market 😁

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

cold_fusion said:

Thank You!

You're welcome ! 😊

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

MadameLavender said:

I think, eventually , we all will have to look and see what happens.   I'm fine with wearing a mask as long as necessary until we see a solid decline in positive cases , but humanity got past every other pandemic one way or another . At least with this one, we have knowledge on our side, both from past pandemics and everything we've learned from this one.  

Bank-- yeah, online is great but doesn't work for cash earnings at the flea market 😁

Get yourself a sock under the bed

I’m just looking forward to some sort of normality.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Another couple of thoughts , on the pandemic topic :

1. Saw an article online last night that Connecticut is following along a bit in the direction that Texas is, as far as reopening :

https://www.patriotproject.com/connecticut-becomes-first-blue-state-announce-major-rollback-lockdown-policies/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=teapartypatriots&utm_content=2021-03-06&fbclid=IwAR3cRMma4lXg683j1Kn-PFtJuaeLLFZTdR9wdkvLoaLwn4rccMbiykA0Kks

2.  Been hearing some uproar about our southern border in the USA being opened up & letting in a floodgate of immigration, a number of those having tested positive for Covid.

Thoughts , anyone ?  Are we in for a 3rd wave with the pandemic ?  

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Thoughts , anyone ?  Are we in for a 3rd wave with the pandemic ?

I just wanted to ask (because I don’t know) do you guys over in America have any kind of fine / financial penalty system to discourage public meeting in large groups?

It was just one of those things I was thinking about the other day, wondering if it’s ever been introduced over there. I know people would be a lot more hesitant to gather outside if people would be fined. To an extent, that has worked here. Sometimes, I guess a bit of tough live is needed to control something of this magnitude.

I don’t think we will know about another wave until the full impact of vaccinations has been felt. Mine is being done this week because I’m on the clinically vulnerable list.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Northern_Soul said:

I just wanted to ask (because I don’t know) do you guys over in America have any kind of fine / financial penalty system to discourage public meeting in large groups?

It was just one of those things I was thinking about the other day, wondering if it’s ever been introduced over there. I know people would be a lot more hesitant to gather outside if people would be fined. To an extent, that has worked here. Sometimes, I guess a bit of tough live is needed to control something of this magnitude.

I don’t think we will know about another wave until the full impact of vaccinations has been felt. Mine is being done this week because I’m on the clinically vulnerable list.

I know that some places had up to $300 in fines if you were caught without wearing a mask.  Not sure if that's still in place though.  It's been somewhat different rules per state, and some places did have fines for gatherings over a certain amount of people.

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

"In every person sleeps a politician, and when they wake there is a little more evil in the world."

Sorry for stealing from my friend, Emil Cioran.

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

MadameLavender said:I'll toss up a topic:  current Covid Lockdowns vs. Unlocking  .

Some states here in the USA are lifting many and in some cases , all restrictions or at least making them voluntary, and other states and places in the world, are still under full lockdown.

What does everyone think about that?
1. Yay--reopening !
2. Nope-- stay under mask and key!
3.  This whole virus business has been real but politicized beyond comprehension.

Thank you ML
At times I have something political  to post and don't have a place
Sometimes comments or posts don't "fit in" to the current threads
Thanks  

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

The authorities (sheriff) do not enforce the mandatory mask wearing or curfews or lock downs in Northern Az.
Currently I am livingv in California at the southern most border of Ca/Az and there doesnt eem to be much difference between the states
At the border crossing the officers wave you through as usual
Instead of asking if we have any fruit or plants shouldn't they be checking temperature
Or is that too invasive?

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

badmalthus said:"In every person sleeps a politician, and when they wake there is a little more evil in the world."

And politics makes strange bedfellows , too !

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Valeriyabeyond said:The authorities (sheriff) do not enforce the mandatory mask wearing or curfews or lock downs in Northern Az.
Currently I am livingv in California at the southern most border of Ca/Az and there doesnt eem to be much difference between the states
At the border crossing the officers wave you through as usual
Instead of asking if we have any fruit or plants shouldn't they be checking temperature
Or is that too invasive?

I agree-- and I personally think we're in for a big blow up & head butting session between those making some of these rules & those having to live with them.  Some of the goings on, are just ridiculous .

CDC has a page for travel stuff & links for each state in some of the sub menus;

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html

Glad you found your way here, Val-- that was the intent of this thread, a home for a mish mash of topics and comments, things that don't fit in other threads, don't really need their own thread, etc  !

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

MadameLavender said:

And politics makes strange bedfellows , too !

LOL It does Madame.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5262

badmalthus said:"In every person sleeps a politician, and when they wake there is a little more evil in the world."

haven't read a more profound truth in quite a while Harry!

Go to page:
Go to: