The Banning of Dr. Seuss

Baredsoul
Baredsoul
Lost Thinker
Canada
  profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Feb 2021
Forum Posts: 5

100 percent agree. Itís a far better solution than banning books and pretending things and attitudes of the time  did not exist.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

Baredsoul said:100 percent agree. Itís a far better solution than banning books and pretending things and attitudes of the time  did not exist.

It is, but there still will be a vacuum created with more copies not being printed.

VirgiliusMaro
VirgiliusMaro
Thought Provoker
  profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 35

First books are banned, then books are burned and ďwhere books are burned, ultimately, people are burned.Ē (Heinrich Heine).
We are on a dangerous path..

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

EdibleWords said:I like that idea, too. Save the books, preserve the mistakes.

but do not revere them

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2892

anna_grin said:

but do not revere them

👍

The idea is that we all agree there are mistakes. We should preserve our opinion, also. And be prepared for those to be scrutinized for flaws, as well.

The future is accountable. There will be a time when nothing gets erased, for better or worse. I call it Web 3.0

The future will see it all. Unless we get smashed by an asteroid.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

i have been made aware that just as happened with Mein kampf in 2016, the ceasing of printing now means that at some point in the future the rights to the works will be free domain.

what this means is that anyone at all could reproduce these books with no consideration for the issues raised here.

imo the seuss estate have taken the laziest way out of owning their shit and i donít think it is doing any good

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

https://youtu.be/pyOWZQAv0ds

This Rebel News segment contains an interesting perspective on Dr Seuss  in a speech from Obama.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

go away you have no concept of nuance

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

anna_grin said:go away you have no concept of nuance

This is a fallacy called poisoning the well.

Instead, perhaps you should explain the nuance you see that you think I donít.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

i donít think i will waste my time like that but nice try

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

yes boys, weíre still on seuss. I have now heard that the man geisel apparently tried multiple times to get these books taken off the market himself while he was alive but his publishers wouldnít let him. if that is the case,  and i havenít been able to verify then taking them out of print is probably the foundationís way to celebrate his birthday and finally honour his wishes.

whatever we do, whether we have the best intentions or not, we canít erase the past, no matter how hard we try. so i still donít know who is in the right here - was Ted Geisel right all those years ago when he wanted them gone, as he didnít want to perpetuate racial stereotypes, or was it an effort to distance himself from his past actions? could it be a bit of both, as he was a human being after all?

i still worry about Seuss becoming seen as a fallen comrade of the alt right. however. when i think about it it makes no difference to the real world how the alt right sees it, and they are only six obscure books almost no one has read.

i am a little concerned that this follows a trend of pretending the past didnít happen as opposed to treating it with a critical eye.

at the end of the day, there are truly bigger things to worry about, and im okay with being undecided how i feel

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Now I want to know why Seuss didn't just have them published with alternate artwork when he was alive.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

JohnnyBlaze said:Now I want to know why Seuss didn't just have them published with alternate artwork when he was alive.

he edited a particularly egregious portrayal of a Chinese man after visiting Japan and China and making friends there, but itís entirely possible he didnít see the harmful impact of his other drawings till much later in life.  at that point he may have decided no amount of editing would be adequate without ruining his work

also it is the words along with the images, theyíre tied together

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Some good news.

Ebay is delisting the aforementioned Seuss books.

Which means less people are going to rake in a fast buck off of selling them to an unsavory crowd.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

i approve this message

Go to page:
Go to: