Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10359

anna_grin said:but actually can we petition for them to do this

I don't see why you can't contact the organization behind this. . .or start some sort of social campaign that would hopefully gain a ground-swell. We ( PoeticMedics ) would back you, as well as my personal account ( can't speak for Johnny but know him well enough to guess he would too ).

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

im more of an ideas woman i get tripped up the how to execute

plus i am far from a social media messiah and i donít think my voice holds much sway in the dot com internetosphere

like, how would i?

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

Ahavati said:

I don't see why you can't contact the organization behind this. . .or start some sort of social campaign that would hopefully gain a ground-swell. We ( PoeticMedics ) would back you, as well as my personal account ( can't speak for Johnny but know him well enough to guess he would too ).

I'm all for not sidelining the books indefinitely, especially since the discussion about them has hardly run its course.

There has to be a creative solution that can allow them to continue printing.

Magdalena
Magdalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales
61awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2908

I looked through my collection of his books that I bought for my son when he was in infants school about 15 years ago. I  don't think I have any of the ones in the list.

Edit: Those books are a collection of different authors, including the other names Seuss went by, but they are similar reading material.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:im more of an ideas woman i get tripped up the how to execute

plus i am far from a social media messiah and i donít think my voice holds much sway in the dot com internetosphere

like, how would i?

Everywhere. Let me look into a few things; make sure there's not already one created that we could somehow support.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

yeah i donít think they were ever in the greatest hits. which is why i am leery of the motivations behind selecting these books and not, for example, the sneetches which has received criticism for its oversimplification, or the cat in the hat, which has been interpreted as possibly a kind of minstrel portrayal.  they make money off those ones.

god bless him Seuss made a few gaffes in his time but i do think his heart was in the right place

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Ahavati said:

Everywhere. Let me look into a few things; make sure there's not already one created that we could somehow support.

all gods bless you a x

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:

all gods bless you a x

I grew up on and loved the man; I hate this more than I can say. I never took it as racist material. This all feels surreal to me.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

if you look into it, the issue isnít overt racism but harmful stereotypes which were abundant at the time. as compared to others the good doctor definitely did far more for social justice than others and found a way to make it appeal to kids which is amazing.  if this goes ahead not only do the Seuss estate (to use a millennial term) dirty delete all that historical context, Seuss himself could be held up as a patron saint of the alt right.

donít want that

LunaGreyhawk
LunaGreyhawk
Fire of Insight
United States
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 480

This is a hard one.  Iím not a fan of banning books, whether I find them problematic or not.  Two of my kids are voracious readers like me and weíve dealt with tons of harmful or insensitive stereotypes in old books and stories, and theyíve always been a springboard for conversations about equality and about where weíve come from.  Itís hard to know how we got here if we donít know where weíve been.  Iíd perhaps add a disclaimer to the books, but banning them outright is a slippery slope, in my opinion.  

Baredsoul
Baredsoul
Lost Thinker
Canada
  profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Feb 2021
Forum Posts: 5

I completely agree. We canít erase or ignore the past and we canít pretend it was something it was not.  That is the path to repeating our mistakes. Books shouldnít be banned. Put the disclaimer on them and perhaps some discussion ideas at the back. They can then be used to educate and expand our thinking.

LunaGreyhawk
LunaGreyhawk
Fire of Insight
United States
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 480

Baredsoul said:I completely agree. We canít erase or ignore the past and we canít pretend it was something it was not.  That is the path to repeating our mistakes. Books shouldnít be banned. Put the disclaimer on them and perhaps some discussion ideas at the back. They can then be used to educate and expand our thinking.

I really dig the idea of some discussion points at the back.  We do it for books like To Kill a Mockingbird and others with similar themes in school, why not expand that to include other books with problematic or outdated verbiage/illustrations?  I have probably 30 books in my collection that would trump anything remotely disturbing in Dr. Seussí portfolio (although one of them is a Dr.Seuss book that didnít make this list for some reason).  I think it opens the door for some really great discussions about why those terms or character portrayals were used and what life was like for people who were stereotyped in such negative ways.  

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

i like that idea very much

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2892

I like that idea, too. Save the books, preserve the mistakes.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

NY Public Library keeping Dr. Seuss books in circulation

https://nypost.com/2021/03/03/ny-public-library-keeping-dr-seuss-books-in-circulation/

Public libraries for the most part are going to continue lending out the aforementioned books until they wear out and have no more replacements.

Go to page:
Go to: