Go to page:

The Banning of Dr. Seuss

VirgiliusMaro
VirgiliusMaro
Thought Provoker
  profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 35

Agreed (with Madame Lavender)

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

Valeriyabeyond said:

In otder to offend someone within a group or individually three things are needed a perpetrater, a target, and an audience
There may be a perpetrator and an audience,  but unless the target carries the insult, there will be no offence.  

Deliberate offenses can be recognized by an excuse before the statement.  or a pre emptive strike you could call it.

To say " no offense" literally means,  the intentions are there and are being masked by ignorance,  or an apology all with the purpose of putting the offense onto the target making it their fault they were offended and not the perpetrator

The intent to offend is basic,  and boils down to pecking order or an attempt to place oneself at a level where they have a following or an audience to feel superior.






my intent. was to illustrate offence.

to help. someone. who apparently. didnít quite grasp it.

to do so i used an offensive word. it was very very clearly not directly aimed at anyone, or portrayed as acceptable to use in this way or to describe travellers in general.

like i said, youíre entitled to your opinion, but youíre wrong. you canít read my mind.


JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5009

anna_grin said:

my intent. was to illustrate offence.

to help. someone. who apparently. didnít quite grasp it.

to do so i used an offensive word. it was very very clearly not directly aimed at anyone, or portrayed as acceptable to use in this way or to describe travellers in general.

like i said, youíre entitled to your opinion, but youíre wrong. you canít read my mind.



Next time use this example.


runaway-mindtrain said:
Don't believe these leftist and their deconstructionist jive. They wish to rewrite history, especially their own, and tear down all tradition and past standards. This is currently pushed by white elitist democrats, whom have absolutely no room to talk about anything. If we are now to remove everything that is connected, as they see it, to bigotry... Then let's begin with the piece of shit Jim Crow Democrat slave party. This Klan party did all the fuckery from founding the slavery party, instigating all post civil war racist laws to just recently being caught doctoring evidence in their sham impeachment.
Cancel the democrat party, founder of institutionalized racism in America. If Seuss must go then they absolutely must be banned....



anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

am actually tired of all this bullshit jb. Ethan had every right to be offended and expect an apology. never once did i so much as imply otherwise.

if the frank explanation of my thought process is taken as trying to excuse being intentionally offensive, then you do you. and furthermore if you want to try and decry me as racist but have no problem or issue with others who time after time blatantly are, then fuck off.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10361

anna_grin said:am actually tired of all this bullshit jb. Ethan had every right to be offended and expect an apology. never once did i so much as imply otherwise.

if the frank explanation of my thought process is taken as trying to excuse being intentionally offensive, then you do you. and furthermore if you want to try and decry me as racist but have no problem or issue with others who time after time blatantly are, then fuck off.


Sheesh; anna. That is NOT what he was saying at all. I get that you're tired of the BS, but some people have stood by you in regards to that. JB is one of them.

it's too damn beautiful a day for this shit. You shouldn't feel the need to defend or explain yourself to anyone judging you. Period.

* fucking off *

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5009

anna_grin said:am actually tired of all this bullshit jb. Ethan had every right to be offended and expect an apology. never once did i so much as imply otherwise.

if the frank explanation of my thought process is taken as trying to excuse being intentionally offensive, then you do you. and furthermore if you want to try and decry me as racist but have no problem or issue with others who time after time blatantly are, then fuck off.


I don't blame you.

Let me let you in on a little secret that might ease your weariness.

Some people like to feign outrage to make other people look bad, especially on the Internet. It's a strategy of causing one or more to fret over their self image.

Keep that in mind the next time you find yourself in a similar situation.

I will say no more in public.



JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5009

Ahavati said:

Sheesh; anna. That is NOT what he was saying at all. I get that you're tired of the BS, but some people have stood by you in regards to that. JB is one of them.

it's too damn beautiful a day for this shit. You shouldn't feel the need to defend or explain yourself to anyone judging you. Period.

* fucking off *


Exactly.

If you used the Mindtrain post I quoted as "an example of Hateful Shit" to a Democrat, you aren't going to see that Democrat curl up into a fetal position and condemn you.


And yes, it's too damn beautiful a day for such.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14047

anna_grin said:

my intent. was to illustrate offence.

to help. someone. who apparently. didnít quite grasp it.

to do so i used an offensive word. it was very very clearly not directly aimed at anyone, or portrayed as acceptable to use in this way or to describe travellers in general.

like i said, youíre entitled to your opinion, but youíre wrong. you canít read my mind.





Iíve took some time to think about this. I think the example was pretty spot on in that given my nationality it should have caused me to think


just to answer the question which was posed:

ďhow would you feel if you had to explain to your children...Ē  is a fair question.

Iíve been both the child and the adult in that scenario. canít really remember how I felt as a child, probably angry and sad

as an adult I was kinda happy my kids asked and I felt a responsibility to not radicalise them. I do get the point you are making. I didnít have a specific object like a book illustration

worked in London 1990, the last few ďno blacks no dogs no IrishĒ signs on shops were around but apart from that I didnít really experience much negativity. usual bits and pieces on building sites, but Iíd give it back


as it happens, the word which did cause offence to Ethan has been recognised as a hate word since 2010 in the UK. I didnít know that.

Iíve thought about that too, and a lot of the stuff which was shouted at me over the phone later that evening. couple of things I shouldnít have done. I should definitely have taken Ethans  feelings into account and given what he said more credence. I opologize for that, and also to Missy for my shitty responses


and obviously to Anna for being a cunt





Noble_Incubus
Noble_Incubus
Thought Provoker
Australia
  profile   poems   message
Joined 28th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 150

VirgiliusMaro said:Do you think then, that Dr. Seuss Enterprises intentionally misled the public owing to the wording of their announcement? Do you think they have intentionally stirred the pot?
My questions are in response to Noble_Incubusí statement.


Misled is a matter of opinion, some people genuinely believe those books are racist.

Doctor Seuss Enterprises could have simply stopped printing the books or said they didnít sell well. I think they seized an opportunity to cry ďracismĒ at a point in our history when right wing media is full of easily manipulated snowflakes.

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 1275

Thank you for your apology, Lepp and Annaís PM also. I hold no ill will.


Just thank your stars you spoke to him on the phone and not me.

runaway-mindtrain
runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 509

Noble_Incubus said:The marketing manager at Doctor Seuss Enterprises is a genius.

All they did was announce the discontinuation of six of their least popular titles due to ďracismĒ. I have two of those six books at home, talk about storm in a tea cup, they arenít particularly racist, what they are is sub-par, his other books are so much better. Of course that triggers the right wing media cry babies to denounce this as akin to book burning. This of course is supported by their brainless right wing trolls on social media platforms, Internet forums etc. screaming nonsense like cancel culture, Fascism etc.  Then we have the left wing cry babies fighting with the right wing cry babies, turning this into a major problem.

Itís a non-issue. Meanwhile, Doctor Seuss Enterprises rides the huge wave of free advertising all the way to the bank.

Genius.



"Deleting books is a NON-ISSUE" you say.  ...
The actual story is the publisher along with a group of "experts" decided to remove several titles that now offend bitches on the left. These books were not offensive for decades until the pussy generation and history revisionist Marxists decided to "act" like they are now a problem. Leftist must manufacturer racism since they have run out of fodder. Several years of racism hoaxes one after another is proof enough for non leftists. Leftist however, swallow every new fable hook, line, and sinker and spit a thousand excuses why they are a non issue.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10361

Noble_Incubus said:

Misled is a matter of opinion, some people genuinely believe those books are racist.

Doctor Seuss Enterprises could have simply stopped printing the books or said they didnít sell well. I think they seized an opportunity to cry ďracismĒ at a point in our history when right wing media is full of easily manipulated snowflakes.


Conjecture is a snowball rolling down a hill that only gets bigger until it's believed as truth. Their intentions were more than likely honorable. Choosing to do it quietly would've only garnered criticism later down the road when someone discovered it. And they WOULD'VE discovered it.

I don't see any other way but to be upfront and honest about it regardless of the backlash.

Noble_Incubus
Noble_Incubus
Thought Provoker
Australia
  profile   poems   message
Joined 28th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 150

runaway-mindtrain said:

"Deleting books is a NON-ISSUE" you say.  ...
The actual story is the publisher along with a group of "experts" decided to remove several titles that now offend bitches on the left. These books were not offensive for decades until the pussy generation and history revisionist Marxists decided to "act" like they are now a problem. Leftist must manufacturer racism since they have run out of fodder. Several years of racism hoaxes one after another is proof enough for non leftists. Leftist however, swallow every new fable hook, line, and sinker and spit a thousand excuses why they are a non issue.


I said this is a non-issue, not that deleting books was a non-issue. I was talking about this specific case where a company, of their own free will, decided not to publish something. This is not about censorship or book burning, which is something governments do.

The rest of what you wrote is hateful incoherent rambling that I canít be bothered responding to.





runaway-mindtrain
runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 509

Noble_Incubus said:

I said this is a non-issue, not that deleting books was a non-issue. I was talking about this specific case where a company, of their own free will, decided not to publish something. This is not about censorship or book burning, which is something governments do.

The rest of what you wrote is hateful incoherent rambling that I canít be bothered responding to.





You are goddamn right I am hateful. I hate idiots that stand up for censorship with bullshit rationales...The government has nothing to do with this.

New York Public Library to Keep Canceled Dr. Seuss Books Circulating https://link.theepochtimes.com/mkt_app/new-york-public-library-to-keep-canceled-dr-seuss-books-circulating_3720646.html

The library states..."As with most all public libraries, we do not censor books"

I stand with the libraries...The true defenders of literary free speech and I spit at any leftist fuck that accepts book censorship simply because their elite controllers told them to obey.

I am at total war against this bullshit...Make no mistake. If it is sounds hateful. So be it... Those that censor ideas also murder and jail their opposition.

Ignorance of history is at the root of this madness. Intellectual civil war will be the result.




anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

apology seen im just sorry this caused Ethan so much distress

@a my response wasnít particularly aimed at jb tbh it was a bit of a vent x

HOWEVER

racial prejudice and personal insult, whether based on political affiliation or anything else, are just not fucking comparable. they do not live on the same planet.

(in runaways post i can see he has expertly blended the two to confuse them)

Go to page:
Go to: