Go to page:

The Banning of Dr. Seuss

poet Anonymous

I dropped in and saw Dr. Seuss mentioned and wondered if there would be an argument somewhere...hahahaha there it is.

To the people who participate and start these forums to sound intelligent you don't. You sound like crazy people. Ultimately there's always an argument, someone cursing someone else, and yet, you still come back for more under a different topic.

This is the only site I know of with forums and there they are, the same people over and over again displaying their knowledge and getting into flame wars that go off track from what the thread was supposed to be about. This place needs new faces and better attitudes.

"Dr. Seuss books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways."   Mein Kampf is still being sold.

Good luck deep underground crap.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

Edible, the thread revolves around a much revered poet, which I started at a poetry site, because it is poetry related.

You're free to import more examples, but ... why?

To establish that this is a trend?

And then to blame the trend on a group of people?

And then insist we need to be diligent in countering their group efforts because you personally find the results harmful to society?

Or because this is one avenue of canceling the momentum or popularity of a group you personally detest?

Whatever. Have at it. Nobody is stopping you.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2892

JohnnyBlaze said:Edible, the thread revolves around a much revered poet, which I started at a poetry site, because it is poetry related.

Right on. Remember when the ďnational poetry foundationĒ  or whatever itís called cancelled a leader because the apology they offered wasnít good enough? Thatís what got me turned into a pariah last year. Because, come on, man.

You're free to import more examples, but ... why?

Many thanks, and I did it because of Fahrenheit 451 coming true. Itís here, in real life - no longer just a novel.

To establish that this is a trend?

It already is one.

And then to blame the trend on a group of people?

Who is behind this? Thatís a good, good question. Iíd like the answer to THAT as much as the next person. Not that it really matters.

And then insist we need to be diligent in countering their group efforts because you personally find the results harmful to society?

I only oppose ideas. I donít really care which group is doing it.

Both sides of the political spectrum creep me out. Thatís one reason I have had a hard time with politics and never yet cast a vote. That and the vote stealing. Iím still trying to wrap my brain around what makes good politics.

Well, freedom, for one... but thatís not a party, is it?

Or because this is one avenue of canceling the momentum or popularity of a group you personally detest?

I think we need both the left and the right, at this point. The Right can be too legalistic, but now the Left proved it, too!!

I prefer true righteousness.

Whatever. Have at it. Nobody is stopping you.

Well, blessings to you. 🙏

I hope we do figure out who or what is behind this before it gets so far out of hand that we lose art and literature.

Apparently we are already seeing a reduction in new creations of art. So I read the other day. I think itís more than just lockdown generated depression kicking in.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Edible, people who dislike stereotypes and racism are going to be tough to counter. They aren't a group with a membership card. You might just want to consider getting out of their way and letting Nature take its course. What's the worst that can happen? Artists putting more thought into what they are creating?

^ If I had dunked the above into a swimming pool filled with sarcasm, it still wouldn't be dripping with enough of it.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:Edible, people who dislike stereotypes and racism are going to be tough to counter.

People who really dislike those things are not a threat. They donít have to control the narrative.

Contrast that to bored, abusive narcissists who are all too eager to take a paycheck and virtue signal while destroying art they label as those things.

They aren't a group with a membership card

No, I didnít think so. And they ALL suck. I mean all those fake-wokes.

You might just want to consider getting out of their way

I donít do that with abusive cancel culture. It just makes them take and abuse more. Itís addictive to them. Like gambling.

What's the worst that can happen? Artists putting more thought into what they are creating?

For further reading, see Fahrenheit 451

^ If I had dunked the above into a swimming pool filled with sarcasm, it still wouldn't be dripping with enough of it.

Oh, I see.

High five!

😎🙏

arortiz73
arortiz73
MTP
Fire of Insight
United States
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Sep 2013
Forum Posts: 281

Freedom of speech, freedom of press... Nothing should ever be banned.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Well, good luck with that, Edible.

"Fake-wokes", "cancel culture" ..... Sure sounds like a lot of catchy titled groups you'll be busy lumping people into.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:Well, good luck with that, Edible.

"Fake-wokes", "cancel culture" ..... Sure sounds like a lot of catchy titled groups you'll be busy lumping people into.

Says the guy who is asking tribalistic questions. Get a mirror.

Hereís a few groups:

Greedy
Cowardly
Controlling
Narcissistic

These groups are easily spotted as Authoritarian in any era.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

arortiz73 said:Freedom of speech, freedom of press... Nothing should ever be banned.

😎🤜🤛

runaway-mindtrain
runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 509

crimsin said:I don't like bigotry of any kind I love culture and diversity
I don't like bigotry in myself when I find it there
we are probably brainwashed to an extent
I haven't see the offending Suess books
if they furthered the idea that bigotry towards a peoples
then it's good they are gone...

however I think it's good to confront the difficult topics
not to tear each other down but to further our evolution
not devolution...

frankly I am just afraid these days
I don't know what to expect next
and it appears most of the english lanuage or sayings are racist
I've heard it all started at the tower of babel...

babble on it's ironic...

Don't believe these leftist and their deconstructionist jive. They wish to rewrite history, especially their own, and tear down all tradition and past standards. This is currently pushed by white elitist democrats, whom have absolutely no room to talk about anything. If we are now to remove everything that is connected, as they see it, to bigotry... Then let's begin with the piece of shit Jim Crow Democrat slave party. This Klan party did all the fuckery from founding the slavery party, instigating all post civil war racist laws to just recently being caught doctoring evidence in their sham impeachment.
Cancel the democrat party, founder of institutionalized racism in America. If Seuss must go then they absolutely must be banned....

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2634

anna_grin said:whether i ďam racistĒ or not is not the point. i couldnít see a way to making my example without use of the offending word, and it ended up causing offence

it may have proved my point too well

The matter of offense was known before you stated it otherwise you would not have
The comment may have been directed towards Lep but the intent was to prove offence by using a label that you knew was derogatory
Knowing someone would be offended to prove your point and following through is being cruel
It doesn't seem to be  an innocent act on your part
It was intended to offend perpetrated by someone who follows up by saying "what, I didn't mean anything by it?"

runaway-mindtrain
runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 30th July 2017

If you wish to censor literature, for any reason...You are a commie or nazi. Pick either one, It doesn't matter. Both authoritarian, both shut down pure art and outlawed history so that people could be given a rationale for evil. It makes me sick to see poets standing up for book burning. Cowards, the lot of them.

runaway-mindtrain
runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 30th July 2017

Timagination543 said:I dropped in and saw Dr. Seuss mentioned and wondered if there would be an argument somewhere...hahahaha there it is.

To the people who participate and start these forums to sound intelligent you don't. You sound like crazy people. Ultimately there's always an argument, someone cursing someone else, and yet, you still come back for more under a different topic.

This is the only site I know of with forums and there they are, the same people over and over again displaying their knowledge and getting into flame wars that go off track from what the thread was supposed to be about. This place needs new faces and better attitudes.

"Dr. Seuss books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways."   Mein Kampf is still being sold.

Good luck deep underground crap.

They start these smart ass forums to project their psuedo moral superior stance. The spoon fed arguing point of the day is repeated as a new gospel text that must be adhered to by the unwashed masses. It is pathetic to see fake or manufactured headlines pop up and then like leftist robotics they push the new dogma from their mental masters. Never questioning anything. The "state" speaks for them.

Not for me though.
Dr Seuss was not racist.
Book burning is evil and done entirely by bitches.
Fuck anyone that supports censorship

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10361

This is an interesting counter to the echo of  the conservative "cancel culture" being yodeled out across the nation:

Why the decision to pull 6 Dr. Seuss books is an important move for diversity

[ . . . ]

Conservative critics, meanwhile, are blaming the decision to stop publishing the six books on "cancel culture," with Florida Sen. Marco Rubio tweeting, "When history looks back at this time it will be held up as an example of a depraved sociopolitical purge driven by hysteria and lunacy." A common refrain is that Seuss ó who died in 1991 and wrote the majority of the offending books in the 1950s, with the most recent published in 1976 ó is being unfairly held to standards set by modern-day PC culture.

But book industry professionals object to this being framed as a cancellation of Dr. Seuss ó whose remaining titles, including The Lorax, which was removed from a California school district's reading list in 1988 for being too liberal on environmental issues ó will continue to be published and licensed.

Deborah Caldwell Stone, director of the American Library Association's (ALA) Office for Intellectual Freedom, notes to Yahoo Life that the Dr. Seuss Enterprises' move is "well within their rights" and doesn't mean that the six titles will necessarily be banned.

[ . . . ]

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/dr-seuss-books-no-longer-being-published-racist-images-diversity-024246847.html

Josh
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 947

Why can't Dr Seuss, Henry Longfellow (Hiawatha poem), and even Shakespeare (who had some fairly un-PC things to say about women/wenches), etc, etc be observed and acknowledged through the lens of a historian-anthropologist? And accepted as such?

However, if those who manage Dr Seuss's estate want to no longer print some of his books, they are legally entitled to do so, even for the wrong reasons. They bought the rights to publish/not-publish them as befits their business decision-making. One can of course disagree with the law and the capitalist system and call it clandestine censorship....

... which is not new. Masses of 'alternative' viewpoints (from covid-over-hype to cancer-treatments) are buried (censored) every day of the week. It's called "might-is-right" -- the ethic that currently rules the world.

Go to page:
Go to: