Go to page:

The Banning of Dr. Seuss

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2892

anna_grin said:you have a point about the ways we should teach kids love. they shouldn’t be burdened with social complexity too young or indoctrinated to believe any one group is better than another as in the “star belly “ story.

Kids are very concrete thinkers. It aids their adorable innocence. 💖

I doubt they can draw the parallel but I also doubt they would be racist. So, yay! 🥰

once they start asking questions,  we have to be able to give honest answers, though. these particular books might raise questions that are a bit rough for kids.  i don’t really know if that should be banned or not.

If an older kid is reading to younger kids, maybe it would enlighten them if they didn’t already have an idea about inclusion.

also, in case you were confused, blackness ain’t a star you can stick on your belly

The Jewish wife in me wants to raise some questions, but I shall refrain. For further reading, though, see Number the Stars by Corrie Ten Boom. I read that book in 5th grade and it rocked my little world! ✨🌟💫⭐️

won’t be arguing with you about that further- we disagree- quite obviously we disagree- and i do not want any “deradicalisation” from you thanks very much.

We cool. I think you love people - which is what matters.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:Firstly, let me remind everyone that this is not a Politics topic. This is more for the benefit of outsiders to understand than those posting to this thread.

I was thinking writers, parents, librarians.

I think Edible is simply trying to say in her own blatant subtle way that the Obamas endorse Seuss and this is something important to know. My guess is that it is a cheap way of undermining the Obamas' credibility as popular public figures who speak out against discrimination i.e. they are hypocrites or aren't discriminating enough. But that's just me. I'm sure we will find out why Edible did it soon enough.

Actually, I think the Obama family is giving a decent message here. It’s not for kids, maybe, but are the adults listening? I think the Obamas, whether they figured out the best way to say it or not, had the right idea all along about desegregation and inclusive thinking.

I would hope it would give book burners pause.

I love art and cute poetry. I hope we can see that the author helped a lot of kids read, and gave kids a love of art, whether he ended insensitivity or not.

It would be a shame if we just cancelled every classic.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

had another think and a few thoughts. not necessarily for red Ed but respond if you like.

the problem with the sneetches that people have is that it oversimplifies race issues. i don’t think that’s a really big problem for little kids but if adults still think it’s that simple ... they need to progress beyond blue sticker reading level.

sneetches aren’t being cancelled though.

dr Seuss is a great author and while he has made some pretty insensitive remarks and cartoons in his early days he is on the whole very anti racist and you can see evidence of him growing and learning if you look at his timeline.

i think he’d probably be very sorry if he knew that his words were causing offence years after his death, whether he meant to insult anyone or not.  maybe kid’s shouldn’t be exposed to this list of six books until they’re older and can understand that they’re a piece of history. i think running them out of print sends the wrong message and will actually drive up the value of these books.

so no i don’t think they should erase this bit of history just maybe keep it out of very young children’s classrooms

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

anna_grin said:.the problem with the sneetches that people have is that it oversimplifies race issues. i don’t think that’s a really big problem for little kids but if adults still think it’s that simple ... they need to progress beyond blue sticker reading level.

The book actually better addresses shallow classism. The stars were fish status, enhancing economic tribalism.

Depends who you ask. But I understand you meant the printing.

dr Seuss is a great author and while he has made some pretty insensitive remarks and cartoons in his early days he is on the whole very anti racist and you can see evidence of him growing and learning if you look at his timeline.

👍

i think he’d probably be very sorry if he knew that his words were causing offence years after his death

People need to be less offended at everything, bottom line. Or just take it all the way, and stop using labels of erasure like Asian, black, white, and others, which fail to respect the massively differentiated subgroups. We need thousands of labels to really be all-the-way sincere and respectful.

I seriously doubt the Japanese feel Asian is a kind representation when Chinese are also called the same thing but are massively different in politics history and appearance.

Or we need just one label that recognizes how we are all One in everything that matters. I like “We The People” but that sounds pretty American when I say it...

whether he meant to insult anyone or not.  maybe kid’s shouldn’t be exposed to this list of six books until they’re older and can understand that they’re a piece of history. i think running them out of print sends the wrong message and will actually drive up the value of these books.

I love your money point.

I don’t read the Bible cover-to-cover to my kids, for the exact reason you state, but I do quote a passage here and there. It’s pretty rated X but shouldn’t be cancelled.

Parental discretion may be wise for all reading material. Because you never know...

so no i don’t think they should erase this bit of history just maybe keep it out of very young children’s classrooms

Teachers want to keep young children out of classrooms, period, if you listen to some school boards.

We’re “reimagining” everything, after all.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

uh no but go on with your nonsense

sorry again j i think i will stay out of this thread unless someone else wants to talk with me x

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

anna_grin said:uh no but go on with your nonsense

sorry again j i think i will stay out of this thread unless someone else wants to talk with me x

Why did you start a conversation if you were just going to end it by trying to put me down without explanation? That’s what pollutes a good thread.

It’s toxic and just makes me wonder if you are trying to force me to take myself elsewhere than DUP... possibly offline altogether to avoid screwing up my metabolism?

Of course I dump extra magnesium when you play dirty tricks with my feelings. And then I have to choose between the lesser of two evils.

If you don’t want to be de-radicalizing yourself, be less radical in the first place. This is a corner of civilization. For ...civility, ya know?

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

anna_grin said:had another think and a few thoughts. not necessarily for red Ed but respond if you like.

the problem with the sneetches that people have is that it oversimplifies race issues. i don’t think that’s a really big problem for little kids but if adults still think it’s that simple ... they need to progress beyond blue sticker reading level.

i think he’d probably be very sorry if he knew that his words were causing offence years after his death, whether he meant to insult anyone or not.  maybe kid’s shouldn’t be exposed to this list of six books until they’re older and can understand that they’re a piece of history. i think running them out of print sends the wrong message and will actually drive up the value of these books.

Well, so far the people who own the rights to publish the books are self censoring. I have yet to hear of anyone actually banning the books from anywhere, but it is probably is happening.

I say, take all of the aforementioned 6 books and continue publishing them in one book with a new artist Photoshopping out the insensitive imagery.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10359

This makes me sadder than I can express, because I feel this was not Seuss' intent. I think I did a poem on the snitches during our Seuss Classic Comp, didn't I? Or was that you.

At any rate: sad.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:This makes me sadder than I can express, because I feel this was not Seuss' intent. I think I did a poem on the snitches during our Seuss Classic Comp, didn't I? Or was that you.

At any rate: sad.

You did the Sneetches and I think 3 others!

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Here we go to refresh our memories on who wrote what.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10520/

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

i had this thought earlier today that rather than self censor which ends up looking like avoiding accountability though i understand the reasoning- and rather than clumsily editing out the offending articles- maybe all proceeds should go to charities supporting racial equity?

that way “anti cancel culture” fanatics won’t hoard them in the basement as if they were World War Two memorabilia and no history will be erased. it would then be up to schools and teachers to decide whether to include these in their curriculum or not.

who wants to take this one to Seuss corp with me 😅

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

anna_grin said:i had this thought earlier today that rather than self censor which ends up looking like avoiding accountability though i understand the reasoning- and rather than clumsily editing out the offending articles- maybe all proceeds should go to charities supporting racial equity?

that way “anti cancel culture” fanatics won’t hoard them in the basement as if they were World War Two memorabilia and no history will be erased. it would then be up to schools and teachers to decide whether to include these in their curriculum or not.

It's funny that you say this because sales of Seuss books skyrocketed after the story broke. I don't know if people are just curious to see for themselves or if they think they are getting their hands on the latest Let's Turn Around And Sell It On Ebay For 10X The Retail Price item.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

You did the Sneetches and I think 3 others!

LMAO! Autocorrect changed it to snitches!

I can't believe we wrote all those poems! But it's because I always loved him.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:i had this thought earlier today that rather than self censor which ends up looking like avoiding accountability though i understand the reasoning- and rather than clumsily editing out the offending articles- maybe all proceeds should go to charities supporting racial equity?

That is a STELLAR idea, and one that aligns with what I personally believe was Seuss' intent—equality.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

but actually can we petition for them to do this

Go to page:
Go to: