Go to page:

The Banning of Dr. Seuss

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

intent is important, but if someone takes offence despite your intent it’s crucial to recognise that they have a right to their offence x

especially in cases of words that have a history of long standing prejudice

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

reminder that we were originally talking about fucking children’s books not accusing people on this site willy nilly of malicious racism

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14631

anna_grin said:intent is important, but if someone takes offence despite your intent it’s crucial to recognise that they have a right to their offence x

I agree, anna. And I believe you apologized to ethan - twice, if not more, as well as attempted to explain yourself ad nauseum.

I couldn't just stand by. Not when there was so much melodramatic fanning.

I am beginning to see why, perhaps, the Seuss estate has taken the avenue they've chosen. We really have no idea what they have endured from the general public, do we?

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 889

anna_grin said:intent is important, but if someone takes offence despite your intent it’s crucial to recognise that they have a right to their offence x

I am a real fan of this 💜

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

LunaGreyhawk said:

I am a real fan of this 💜

Two things I can’t stand....the colour gray, and hawks.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

it may have been the only smart public relations move they could make.

the books deserve criticism, no one is denying that, the problem i had was that it could appear as if they were sweeping it under the rug and freeing themselves from the responsibility of those books’ legacy.

but i am very tired of trying to discuss this with people that refuse to see shades of grey

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:it may have been the only smart public relations move they could make.

the books deserve criticism, no one is denying that, the problem i had was that it could appear as if they were sweeping it under the rug and freeing themselves from the responsibility of those books’ legacy.

but i am very tired of trying to discuss this with people that refuse to see shades of grey

I can personally relate to this. I've been a part of a memorial committee uncovering a history that was hidden for decades involving the great strike of the Loray Mill in 1921, and the murder of Ella May Wiggins, a striker and balladeer. When we began, we were threatened, blackballed, held at gunpoint, and harassed via phone, etc.

I sent you a private link. I do understand where you're coming from. History is important, and one of my favorite sayings is an old African proverb: Until the lions have their day, history belongs to the hunter.

Disclaimers are also very important for the purposes of education. However, that good intent may be misinterpreted, just as it was here, in that they would still exist.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

hemihead said:What this is really about is a section of society right now....

anna_grin said:no, this is about dr. Seuss

JohnnyBlaze said:

Actually, this thread is about Dr. Seuss.

Please get a grip.

🐬

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019

hemihead said:

Two things I can’t stand....the colour gray, and hawks.

Edited because it’s really easy to misread words on the internet 💜

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I think that was Hemis way of saying he likes you :),

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

And yet another point about words has been proven!

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

one further point of clarification because insomnia

it’s my experience in England that all sorts of offensive terminology originally intended for travellers has been used to refer to irish in general. in retrospect, as lep i think does live in Ireland it’s unlikely he would have come across this in his own life

I’m unaware of any traveller-exclusionary insult to the Irish that is equally offensive or i would have referred to that as an example

-edit 2.0 - it is probably less common now than in my parents time or their parents before then, i would grant you that

but please be assured that when they said no dogs no blacks no irish they absolutely did mean you so i would expect a little more common respect for other races that received the same treatment

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho and Rope are among the films that Turner Classic Movies has deemed “troubling and problematic,” joining the ranks of Gone with the Wind in a new series called “Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror,” which seeks to scrutinize old movies through the lens of today’s identity politics.

“Many of the beloved classics that we enjoy on TCM have stood the test of time in several ways, nevertheless when viewed by contemporary standards, certain aspects of these films can be troubling and problematic,” the cable network said.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/03/05/cancel-hitchcock-psycho-guess-whos-coming-to-dinner-among-the-iconic-films-turner-classic-movies-deems-problematic/amp/

In case we think this is only about Dr Seuss...

anna_grin said:no, this is about dr. Seuss

...right... trying to believe...

JohnnyBlaze said:

Actually, this thread is about Dr. Seuss.

Please get a grip.

Still trying to get a grip, ‘ol chap.

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2641

I don't like bigotry of any kind I love culture and diversity
I don't like bigotry in myself when I find it there
we are probably brainwashed to an extent
I haven't see the offending Suess books
if they furthered the idea that bigotry towards a peoples
then it's good they are gone...

however I think it's good to confront the difficult topics
not to tear each other down but to further our evolution
not devolution...

frankly I am just afraid these days
I don't know what to expect next
and it appears most of the english lanuage or sayings are racist
I've heard it all started at the tower of babel...

babble on it's ironic...

Go to page:
Go to: