The Banning of Dr. Seuss

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

JohnnyBlaze said:

She wasn't trying to offend you or anyone.

that’s not what your other half said

“She gave craic a punch in the gut because he requested it”

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

lepperochan said:I never requested it. It was thrust upon me. I took no offence anyway. I know where the word came from and I don’t have a problem with it. it’s probably 300 years old

again, the lady would lose her tits if someone wrote (for example) nigger on a page but she felt it was ok to try offend me

This is what I mean about the hypocrisy of it all

My error if you didn't request an example; I thought you had requested clarification and she responded saying she would try to relate it to you personally. I don't think it was thrust upon you; and she certainly wasn't attempting to offend you, Craic.  She was exerting a genuine effort to help you understand.

Thus the use of the 'P' word - because you're Irish.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

not to offend you lep to help you understand the offence that other people may feel

which you kind of asked for

Jesus Christ I’m done with this. be mad at me. don’t bother looking at your self centredness. goodnight and fuck you

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

lepperochan said:

explain

Reread the thread without making it personal.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5732

lepperochan said:
This is what I mean about the hypocrisy of it all

What I find the worst is somebody from that community (a minority community) has just come in and said essentially “listen to me and how I want to be treated” and people have disregarded that.

Have a little think on that one and basic empathy. I’m going to bed.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Northern_Soul said:

What I find the worst is somebody from that community (a minority community) has just come in and said essentially “listen to me and how I want to be treated” and people have disregarded that.

Maybe that person should reread the thread without making it personal.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

oh and at this point, if you want to use the n word on purpose to make a point, that’s completely on you.

why should i call out racism when mods have no problem being racist

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

The problem here is there is no hard/fast rule to apply...there is a test of context to any use of any word. Observe:

“Fuck black people, they should go somewhere else”. Hate and exclusion.

“Fuck I love chinese people, but they should go somewhere else”. Still hate? Feels like it.

“Fuck i love white people”. Some people will still see a focus on skin colour.

No word is the issue, and banning words has never worked. In my country we systematically tried to kill an entire language for 100 years....Kia kaha, motherfuckers, Te reo o mana Whenua (stand strong, motherfuckers, the language of maori is now....) is now the coolest language in the country.

There is always just the test of context. It gets even more fraught when the person saying something “doesn’t mean it that way”, but is actually reinforcing systemic racism or bigotry. That means there are two contexts, one at a personal level, and one at the level of society.

It’s a fucking mess, no question.

Come at it with looooove.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Maybe that person should reread the thread without making it personal.

Difficult to do when the flames of perspective are being fanned.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

Northern_Soul said:

if feral feels i have disregarded his input, again, sorry, but i don’t believe that i have.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

lepperochan said:

What was your point then

I literally just said it

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

hemihead said:The problem here is there is no hard/fast rule to apply...there is a test of context to any use of any word. Observe:

“Fuck black people, they should go somewhere else”. Hate and exclusion.

“Fuck I love chinese people, but they should go somewhere else”. Still hate? Feels like it.

“Fuck i love white people”. Some people will still see a focus on skin colour.

No word is the issue, and banning words has never worked. In my country we systematically tried to kill an entire language for 100 years....Kia kaha, motherfuckers, Te reo o mana Whenua (stand strong, motherfuckers, the language of maori is now....) is now the coolest language in the country.

There is always just the test of context. It gets even more fraught when the person saying something “doesn’t mean it that way”, but is actually reinforcing systemic racism or bigotry. That means there are two contexts, one at a personal level, and one at the level of society.

It’s a fucking mess, no question.

Come at it with looooove.

Or at least recognize the person's nature and intent. anna is anything but racist.

Let's see if someone will fan the flames of perspective upon a black member of this community and see if they come at you. Probably not if there is no fanning involved. They will more than likely read it as it was intended by you: an example for discussion points, and why banning words will never work.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

whether i “am racist” or not is not the point. i couldn’t see a way to making my example without use of the offending word, and it ended up causing offence

it may have proved my point too well

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

Northern_Soul said:

no. that’s not what happened at all. unless you have an example of how someone has treated him otherwise since.

ok, perhaps Anna’s example was unfortunate. it was aimed at Irish as per her understanding of it. so unwittingly offended a traveler. she apologised for it.

should I be offended a traveller would take offence at being called an Irish rebel ?

I have never seen anyone address Ethan with the word here and doubt I ever will.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:whether i “am racist” or not is not the point. i couldn’t see a way to making my example without use of the offending word, and it ended up causing offence

it may have proved my point too well

I would think that no one would be offended by an example unless they thought the one giving it meant to offend, which typically signals racism or prejudice of some sorts.

My bad if I was wrong.

Go to page:
Go to: