Go to page:

The Banning of Dr. Seuss

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10361

hemihead said:Two things to say:

The estate of the author have recognised that a small portion of the entire body of work encapsulate outdated messages from the time, and they donít sit with the rest of the works which are positive, inclusive and ask fundamental questions about our relationship with the planet. There are many books that go out of print or stop being printed because they no longer represent the larger body of work, or are recognised at the author not at their best.

What this is really about is a section of society right now saying that free speech allows all speech. They are using this to continue to push the narrative that all speech is equal, all ideas are equal, all views are equal. In a functioning society this isnít true. We already ban and criminalise child pornography, for example.

The DU is currently experiencing the same debate. There are two threads calling for a change in rules, because there is a minority faction who want to spill hate and disruption. So very quickly the majority see anarchy and hate over-running, and move to change the limits on what is acceptable.

Iím sure that when human sacrifice got banned there were people who held on to it, claiming they were loosing their rights. As a society we disagreed.

Same old.

Let the estate of Dr Seuss manage his legacy. If you have had a look at the bike they are talking about, his legacy gets stronger by removing them....if I could kill two of Hemingwayís books Iíd bloody do it.


Bravo, Hemi.

Furthermore, the irony here is the ones who were howling the loudest about political threads in the speakeasy ( to the point of wanting a new forum for them ) are now pissing on the very hydrant of a new political thread in the speakeasy rather than addressing the minority source of disruption.

LunaGreyhawk
LunaGreyhawk
Fire of Insight
United States
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 480

So, this made me think.  Looking at the exchange that just took place, where does the line exist between refusing to use certain words (or asking others not to use them) because they either once did or still do exist as a slur vs using them as an example in order to be accurate about the way they were or are used as a stereotype to disparage or demean?  Is it all or nothing, or does intent come into play?

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10361

I don't see how the word could not have been used in delivering the gut punch that was requested. An example is a completely different animal here. We have to be able to use these words as examples in order to demonstrate their impact on those they hurt.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

I think intent absolutely does tbh. the only word im aware of that is pretty much globally accepted as beyond the pale even in example is the n word.

other words donít have the same cognates- i doubt anyone would have known what i was talking about if i said ďthe p wordĒ

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 1273

... shame on all of you, quite frankly.

Thank you and goodnight.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14047

anna_grin said:I think intent absolutely does tbh. the only word im aware of that is pretty much globally accepted as beyond the pale even in example is the n word.

other words donít have the same cognates- i doubt anyone would have known what i was talking about if i said ďthe p wordĒ



this is the problem as I see it.  why for example is Etahanís feelings not equal to those of an African American as you see it


how can you tell which is more hurtful considering you donít belong to either community



LunaGreyhawk
LunaGreyhawk
Fire of Insight
United States
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 480

Ahavati said:I don't see how the word could not have been used in delivering the gut punch that was requested. An example is a completely different animal here. We have to be able to use these words as examples in order to demonstrate their impact on those they hurt.

I agree that if we start trying to censor the use of words in this way, it feels like lessening the understanding of the negative impact it caused or continues to cause.  My hope would be that it would naturally fall out of use if people just stopped using it in earnest.  If Ana hadnít used the term, I wouldnít have gone and researched it (having no idea what it meant) and learned how much we should not ever use that term as it has been and still is used, and how its use related to this conversation.  Now I know what that means and how it is offensive, and Iíll certainly never use that term.  It made me wonder how we are supposed to educate if we canít share that information in a precise way?

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

i am truly sorry i seem to have personally caused offence, anyway.

I guess in future Iíll do as feral suggests and say something along the lines of: travellers being referred to as the p word if i wanted to use it in example.

really interesting how people tend to care so much when itís them or their mates on the receiving end but not so much if itís anyone else though

(thatís not personally directed at you feral just an observation)

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

Shit just got surreal.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10361

LunaGreyhawk said:

I agree that if we start trying to censor the use of words in this way, it feels like lessening the understanding of the negative impact it caused or continues to cause.  My hope would be that it would naturally fall out of use if people just stopped using it in earnest.  If Ana hadnít used the term, I wouldnít have gone and researched it (having no idea what it meant) and learned how much we should not ever use that term as it has been and still is used, and how its use related to this conversation.  Now I know what that means and how it is offensive, and Iíll certainly never use that term. It made me wonder how we are supposed to educate if we canít share that information in a precise way?


That's just it: we can't. It's not like anna was calling Ethan the P word. She was using it as an example of a gut punch toward an Irishman who requested it. And because of that, people were educated as to the derogatory nature of the word and will refuse to use it in the future.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

lepperochan said:


this is the problem as I see it.  why for example is Etahanís feelings not equal to those of an African American as you see it


how can you tell which is more hurtful considering you donít belong to either community




that wasnít my point at all - that one would be more hurtful than the other. rather that there is an accepted way to refer to the n- word and no such easily understandable way to refer to what i am now saying as the p-word.

by all means continue to try and trip me up 🤷🏻‍♀️

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:Clearly human sacrifices arenít banned, theyíve just been rebranded. itís still our leaders who are doing it, in the name of gods or the name of security. itís odd you didnít notice that :),




Agreed....the scale is perhaps somewhat more ambitious these days....a cool 1/2 million on a philosophical point about whether ďthe economyĒ or humans matter more is quite the demonstration of power.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14047

I never requested it. It was thrust upon me. I took no offence anyway. I know where the word came from and I donít have a problem with it. itís probably 300 years old


again, the lady would lose her tits if someone wrote (for example) nugger on a page but she felt it was ok to try offend me
This is what I mean about the hypocrisy of it all


Edit: edited

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

lepperochan said:I never requested it. It was thrust upon me. I took no offence anyway. I know where the word came from and I donít have a problem with it. itís probably 300 years old


again, the lady would lose her tits if someone wrote (for example) nigger on a page but she felt it was ok to try offend me

This is what I mean about the hypocrisy of it all


She wasn't trying to offend you or anyone.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14047

anna_grin said:

that wasnít my point at all - that one would be more hurtful than the other. rather that there is an accepted way to refer to the n- word and no such easily understandable way to refer to what i am now saying as the p-word.

by all means continue to try and trip me up 🤷🏻‍♀️



What was your point then

Go to page:
Go to: