The Banning of Dr. Seuss

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

6 Dr. Seuss books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr-seuss-books-cease-publication-trnd/index.html

Six Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published because they "portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong," the business that preserves the author's legacy said.

The titles are:
"And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street"
"If I Ran the Zoo"
"McElligot's Pool"
"On Beyond Zebra!"
"Scrambled Eggs Super!"
"The Cat's Quizzer"

Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, published over 60 children's books over the course of his long career. Though most were published under his well-known pseudonym, Dr. Seuss, he also authored over a dozen books as Theo. LeSieg and one as Rosetta Stone.

I've personally never read any of the 6 singled out.

So my questions are

Can't these books and any others of his deemed controversial continue to be published without the drawings?

Or is the wording offensive too?

Or or Is a Seuss book not a Seuss book worth selling without Seuss drawings to complement the stories?

badmalthus
badmalthus
Dangerous Mind
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 370

JohnnyBlaze said:6 Dr. Seuss books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr-seuss-books-cease-publication-trnd/index.html

Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, published over 60 children's books over the course of his long career. Though most were published under his well-known pseudonym, Dr. Seuss, he also authored over a dozen books as Theo. LeSieg and one as Rosetta Stone.

I've personally never read any of the 6 singled out.

So my questions are

Can't these books and any others of his deemed controversial continue to be published without the drawings?

Or is the wording offensive too?

Or or Is a Seuss book not a Seuss book worth selling without Seuss drawings to complement the stories?

And people wonder why I have such a low oppinion of human-kind, why I'm a Misanthrope. I also heard that some want to ban books by the great Kurt Vonnegut...if you move too far to the left you will find yourself standing on the right.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

badmalthus said:

And people wonder why I have such a low oppinion of human-kind, why I'm a Misanthrope. I also heard that some want to ban books by the great Kurt Vonnegut...if you move too far to the left you will find yourself standing on the right.

I can understand wanting artwork by Seuss depicting stereotypes discontinued, but the artwork could also be replaced by another artist.

If it's Seuss's words that are offensive, then that kinda kills a Seuss book altogether.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3365

i remember vaguely mcelligots pool. “you’ll never catch fish in mcelligot’s pool” but i don’t remember anyone having a problem with it.

(not to say that no one having a problem at the time means there wasn’t one)

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

On March 2, 2021, Dr. Seuss Enterprises announced that McElligot's Pool and five other books would no longer be published because they "portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong".[3][4] The book uses the term "Eskimo", which is considered old-fashioned in American English but is offensive in Canadian English,[5] and depicts a group of "Eskimo Fish" in stereotypical costume.

i did not know that was offensive in canada and to be honest i don’t understand why...

i will be completely honest that i am a bit sus of their motives in doing this. they surely have the opportunity to trade these discontinued books on the sly as “vintage”.

god I’m an incurable cynic  

The_Silly_Sibyl
The_Silly_Sibyl
Tommy or Tuppence
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 419

The problem with this is that ALL books before a certain point in recent history are problematic to some extent, or more precisely, have problematic ideas or assumptions. No matter how innocuous they are, there’ll always be something that represents an attitude we’ve moved beyond as a society. I was reading recently that even Goosebumps (children’s horror) books from the ‘90s have some now unacceptable stuff about mental illness; notions of how “crazy” people should be shut-up in “madhouses”.

Even the most socially innocuous writer I can think of, PG Wodehouse, whose comedy novels never touch upon issues of race, class, or gender in any meaningful way and exist in their own light-hearted Jazz Age, could be accused of perpetuating classist assumptions. After all, he’s never critical of the social necessity for Jeeves to work as a butler for Wooster, and always address him as “sir”.

I think we need to start realising that we can’t change the past and shouldn’t try to censor it. You can have progress without pretending that the first 2000 years of our common era didn’t happen.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

done me a bit of internet research: eskimo was never originally derogatory but became that way due to colonial influence. some people don’t mind it and others do.

as far as I’m concerned the people of a tribe/culture/race can refer to themselves how they want and it’s on outsiders to be accepting n sensitive to that and err on the side of caution.

so if someone (someone who honestly can) wants to refer to themselves as things like the n word, half caste, Indian, this eskimo business, cool but i wouldn’t like to do that myself. especially without permission.  if i sound like a politically correct twat i take that over causing harm.

flip side of that is if someone calls me ... a crazy cracker, that doesn’t carry the same weight of prejudice. if an irishman were to call me a sassenach i would have to shrug my shoulders and say fair play.

im still not sure how i feel about totally banning the books.  i assume the rest of them are along the same lines.  i don’t know guys

that’s today’s speech over anyway

shit typed it all out and forgot to hit post. never mind

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2892

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Michelle reads a Dr Seuss book. I like her interpretation of it.

https://youtu.be/4VDc-B8gJMY

I notice a lot of people on the web in general focusing on the philosophical critiques that seem better suited for older minds, but I personally believe in focusing kids on being loving and inclusive, in a simple way, rather than critical of others.

So as a mother I would wait to open that door until they get more fluent in general empathy skills.

The last thing I want to do as a parent is get the little kids learning to read obsessed with looking shallowly at others and criticizing people over little things they don’t even really understand before their world expands for balance.

Bottom line: narcissism is a greater threat than slightly problematic old books.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
Joined 7th Jan 2018

https://abc7news.com/potus-president-obama-dr-seuss-sneeches/486933/

Once all of the Sneetches have stars on their bellies, the original star-bellied Sneetches feel they have lost their special status, and pay to have theirs removed. And so, the Sneetches go back and forth, adding and removing their stars until they are all penniless and forgotten of who they once were.

"That is one of my favorite stories," the president told the 4-year-olds. "In fact most of the things I deal with as president would be solved if everybody read about the Sneetches. Because there are some people who think they're special 'cause they've got stars, and some who feel bad 'cause they don't."

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

you have a point about the ways we should teach kids love. they shouldn’t be burdened with social complexity too young or indoctrinated to believe any one group is better than another as in the “star belly “ story.

once they start asking questions,  we have to be able to give honest answers, though. these particular books might raise questions that are a bit rough for kids.  i don’t really know if that should be banned or not.

also, in case you were confused, blackness ain’t a star you can stick on your belly

won’t be arguing with you about that further- we disagree- quite obviously we disagree- and i do not want any “deradicalisation” from you thanks very much.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Firstly, let me remind everyone that this is not a Politics topic. This is more for the benefit of outsiders to understand than those posting to this thread.

Secondly,

anna_grin said:you have a point about the ways we should teach kids love. they shouldn’t be burdened with social complexity too young or indoctrinated to believe any one group is better than another as in the “star belly “ story.

once they start asking questions,  we have to be able to give honest answers, though. these particular books might raise questions that are a bit rough for kids.  i don’t really know if that should be banned or not.

also, in case you were confused, blackness ain’t a star you can stick on your belly

won’t be arguing with you about that further- we disagree- quite obviously we disagree- and i do not want any “deradicalisation” from you thanks very much.

I think Edible is simply trying to say in her own blatant subtle way that the Obamas endorse Seuss and this is something important to know. My guess is that it is a cheap way of undermining the Obamas' credibility as popular public figures who speak out against discrimination i.e. they are hypocrites or aren't discriminating enough. But that's just me. I'm sure we will find out why Edible did it soon enough.

anna_grin
anna_grin
ilchruthach
Dangerous Mind
Joined 24th Mar 2013

fair enough j - the banning of these books is because of racial insensitivity concerns so i mean that isn’t necessarily “politics” but you could also argue that it has a political aspect. (one reason here why im not sure a politics forum would work but not the place for that either)

i promise you i am not about to get drawn into a long back and forth here, don’t worry.  that was very much a personal comment and im sorry it was off topic, but i won’t be taking it further no fear x

sneetches get steetches
ahahaaa okay okay okay we cool

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

anna_grin said:fair enough j - the banning of these books is because of racial insensitivity concerns so i mean that isn’t necessarily “politics” but you could also argue that it has a political aspect. (one reason here why im not sure a politics forum would work but not the place for that either)

i promise you i am not about to get drawn into a long back and forth here, don’t worry.  that was very much a personal comment and im sorry it was off topic, but i won’t be taking it further no fear x

No worries.

It definitely is an issue that can be exploited for the sake of political gains, as we just witnessed.

anna_grin said:sneetches get steetches
ahahaaa okay okay okay we cool

LOLOLOL!

AlisVolatPropriis8
AlisVolatPropriis8
Thought Provoker
India
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 318

Go to page:
Go to: