Go to page:

Official DU NaPoWriMo 2021 Discussion

Eerie
Eerie
Dangerous Mind
9awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 527

Hey just a little typo I noticed in the list of registrants; Honoria is a newbie 🥳

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5005

Eerie said:Hey just a little typo I noticed in the list of registrants; Honoria is a newbie 🥳

Oh, heck. I'm on it with my Parchment Colored White-Out!

Thanks, Eerowyn!

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

[ LOTR ] The March Of The Ents

†  
From the highest winding branch † † † †
down to the deepest gnarled root † † † †
and furthermost wavering leaf † † †  
† † † †
the decision is moot † † † †
† † † †
Moot moot moot moot † † † †
Moot moot moot moot
† † †  
† † † †
Here no more for ourselves † † † †
we are off to help the Little Ones † † † †
and Men and Dwarves and Elves † † † †
Having endured many moons and suns † † † †
† † † †
dating back to ages ancient † † † †
in this constantly changing world † † † †
our existence becoming rapidly spent † † † †
† † †  
Coming now with leaves unfurled † † † †
† † † †
we are Ent † † † †
† † † †
Moot moot moot moot
† † †  
† † † †
The wrath to avenge our planted † † † †
friends of acorn, nut, and seed † † † †
---take it not lightly, nor for granted † † † †
as we move with little speed † † † †
† † † †
And though we may be hewn of every limb; † † † †
from biting axes, sap may bleed † † † †
Tell the wizard we've come for him † † † †
† † †  
a warning he should seriously heed: † † † †
† † † †
we are Ent † † † †
† † † †
Moot moot moot moot
† † †  
† † † †
From Fangorn we march, drawing near † † † †
to tear apart and smash and rent † †  
the largest cog, the smallest gear! † † † †
Accursed, black stone monument! † † † †
† † † †
Spells from Isengard may be our demise † † † †
Flood every trench, shaft and vent! † † † †
Drive out Saruman once White and wise † † † †
† † †  
To Sauron let this message be sent ... † † †  
† † † †
we are Ent † † † †
† † † †
Moot moot moot moot
† † †  
† † † †
† † † †
Written by Magnetron
Go To Page  

Another Tolkien inspired poem I wrote abouts 15 years ago.

The Ents were always my favorite when I read The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings every summer for 4 summers straight during my teens.

ďSome of my kin look just like trees now, and need something great to rouse them; and they speak only in whispers. But some of my trees are limb-lithe, and many can talk to me.Ē

― Treebeard, J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

Sweet dreams, Little Shirelings!🌳😴💭

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
101awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 10361

I can't believe it's been 20 years since the movies were released.  It feels like yesterday ( probably because we reviewed recently ).

History. .  .it will swallow you in a heartbeat. Excited to see who else signs up!

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:I can't believe it's been 20 years since the movies were released.  It feels like yesterday ( probably because we reviewed recently ).

History. .  .it will swallow you in a heartbeat. Excited to see who else signs up!

Watched recently multiple times LOL! Yeah, it does not seem that long ago.

What I love about the movies is that the extended versions on DVD come jam packed with documentaries on the making of the films and on the life of Tolkien as well. So much energy went into creating the script and storyboards! Even artists famous for their Tolkien paintings were hired on to work in the art department.

Then there is the mass manufacturing process of creating authentic looking props, and costumes, because the first trilogy was not mostly CGI like The Hobbit was.

And many of the actors were living in trailers together for years that they literally became a Fellowship. When filming ended, it was very much like the ending of The Return Of The King where everyone is saying goodbye and crying their eyeballs out.

The films are a different experience that can never replace the books, but the that goes both ways. And yet, there is much in the movies that happens differently because the books are a massive undertaking to translate into audio and video that keeps the viewer engaged as opposed to, "When is this thing ever going to end?!"

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

ďI feel like spring after winter, and sun on the leaves; and like trumpets and harps and all the songs I have ever heard!Ē

― Samwise, J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King

Good morning, DUPeeps!  It is Day 7 and there's gossip going around Wyrmington Heights that NaPoWriMo 2021 is in jeopardy! Something about a Dark Lord and the End of the World, but we wouldn't put too much stock in the rumors.  

Gracing Team NaPo in his freshman year is SatInUGal ( aka Satin Gamjeez ). However, he did make a special guest appearance last year as the Team Mascot ( though you may not have recognized his incog-neato self inside that sweaty Gorn suit ).

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/SatInUGal/

Satin is the spitting image of his parents, Bell Goodchild and Kevin Kline. He grew up with five siblings: Hammond Cheez, Half Fred, Marie Gold, Daisy Cotton, and April May. This is where Satin's experience comes in handy being a Team NaPo Time Keeper, ensuring that our participants are only posting one poem per day; there was only one bathroom in the Gamjeez householed and he was in charge of the stopwatch.

SatInUGal has also been Instagrammed & Tweeted!

https://www.twitter.com/poeticmedics/
https://www.instagram.com/poeticmedics/

Still undecided about going on an adventure with us? You've got until Midnight of March 30th to join. It's a little late to be trimming the verge, so quit making excuses.

Our Fellowship so far!

01.R CST - JohnnyBlaze - Onalaska, WI, USA
02.R EST - Ahavati - Cherokee, NC, USA
03.R EST - LunaGreyhawk - Raleigh, NC, USA
04.R EST - Eerie - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
05.R GMT - AspergerPoet - Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
06.R PST - SatinUGal - San Rafael, California, USA
07.R EST - marina2020 - Bristol, RI, USA
08.R EST - DaisyGrace - Lexington, Kentucky, USA
09.R GMT - razzerleaf - Derbyshire, England, UK
10.R PHT (GMT+8) - Summerrain75 - Philippines
11.N BST - InNomine - Glasgow, Scotland, UK
12.R GMT - Josh - Beiras de Nord, Portugal
13.R PST - wallyroo92 - Bakersfield, CA
14.R EST - cabcool - St James, Jamaica
15.R PST - cloventongue89 - Aurora, Colorado, USA
16.N PST - Valeriayah - Needles, CA, USA
17.N EST - Zazzles - Fitchburg, Massachusetts, USA
18.R CST - Gahddess_Worship - Spring, Texas, USA
19.R MST - Kinkpoet - Charleston, Arizona, USA
20.R GMT - Viddax - Hampshire, UK
21.R EST -  PoetsRevenge - Boston, MA, USA
22.R EST - da_poetic-edifier - Columbia, MD, USA
23.N EST - Honoria - New York City, NY, USA
24.R EST - Sex_on_the_Joe - West Haven, Ct
25.R PST - Misfitpoet89 - Tracy, CA, USA
26.R GMT - Fiftysevenhours - Inverness, Scotland, UK

R = Returning
N = Newcomer

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Watched recently multiple times LOL! Yeah, it does not seem that long ago.

What I love about the movies is that the extended versions on DVD come jam packed with documentaries on the making of the films and on the life of Tolkien as well. So much energy went into creating the script and storyboards! Even artists famous for their Tolkien paintings were hired on to work in the art department.

Then there is the mass manufacturing process of creating authentic looking props, and costumes, because the first trilogy was not mostly CGI like The Hobbit was.

And many of the actors were living in trailers together for years that they literally became a Fellowship. When filming ended, it was very much like the ending of The Return Of The King where everyone is saying goodbye and crying their eyeballs out.

The films are a different experience that can never replace the books, but the that goes both ways. And yet, there is much in the movies that happens differently because the books are a massive undertaking to translate into audio and video that keeps the viewer engaged as opposed to, "When is this thing ever going to end?!"

You mean much like your script?

I am  getting really excited! We have several on the fence ( newbs )! I am hoping they take the plunge with us!

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Fortunately, in NaPo you don't have to worry about things such as spelling, grammar, form ( okay, wait, you do have to focus on form because poetry not prose ), punctuation, and so forth, because we are not focused on those things. We are ONLY focused on 50 unique words per poem.

NaPo is not a time to worry about perfection; NaPo is a time to write 30 poem in 30 days! Editing comes in May ( once you've recovered, that is )!

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:Fortunately, in NaPo you don't have to worry about things such as spelling, grammar, form ( okay, wait, you do have to focus on form because poetry not prose ), punctuation, and so forth, because we are not focused on those things. We are ONLY focused on 50 unique words per poem.

NaPo is not a time to worry about perfection; NaPo is a time to write 30 poem in 30 days! Editing comes in May ( once you've recovered, that is )!

Ha! Yes, I wrote many an imperfect poem during my first NaPo in 2017. There were days where I wrote as many as 12 poems. It's all about getting ideas out onto paper during the challenge and finessing them afterwards.

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1000

Listen. I once wrote a poem about dark piss and mouse turds during NaPo. You donít need to worry about perfection here people! 😆😆🤣😆

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

I think what Rosie Grace is trying to say is that we have very few expectations and incredibly low standards.

Or is it very few standards and incredibly low expectations . . .

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1000

JohnnyBlaze said:I think what Rosie Grace is trying to say is that we have very few expectations and incredibly low standards.

Or is it very few standards and incredibly low expectations . . .

Itís both!

I mean, yes. Iíve had some pieces come out of NaPo that ended up being work Iíve been proud of. But you donít have to feel pressured to churn out masterpieces. Just play! Have fun and do the thing!

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

DaisyGrace said:

Itís both!

I mean, yes. Iíve had some pieces come out of NaPo that ended up being work Iíve been proud of. But you donít have to feel pressured to churn out masterpieces. Just play! Have fun and do the thing!

That will be our mantra next year:

NaPoWriMo '22: Do the Thing

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

That will be our mantra next year:

NaPoWriMo '22: Do the Thing

We Just give a little shove from behind.

ďIf you're referring to the incident with the Dragon, I was barely involved. All I did was give your uncle a little nudge out of the door.Ē

― Gandalf ( to Frodo ), J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

And that's all we do.

You do the rest.

Eerie
Eerie
Dangerous Mind
9awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 527

DaisyGrace said:Listen. I once wrote a poem about dark piss and mouse turds during NaPo. You donít need to worry about perfection here people! 😆😆🤣😆

Last year I wrote a poem about my cats and their personalities based on their birth order. I was dry dry that day 😂

Dark piss and turds though....🤔

Go to page:
Go to: