Go to page:

Official DU NaPoWriMo 2021 Discussion

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

“Little did I know where the chief peril lay! Truly Elrond spoke, saying that we could not foresee what we might meet upon our road. Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy.”

― Gimli, J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Good morning, DUPeeps!  It is Day 5 of Registration and the underground city of Moaria echoes with the philosophizations of a peculiar Dwarf standing on his soapbox . . .

so he can get a better look at his kin volunteering for NaPoWriMo2021!

We have to specify kin as opposed to kinsmen, for reasons of politicial correctness. And with the beards, you can't tell who the kinswomen are anyway . . .

wallyroo92 ( aka Gimlyroo of the Irony Hills DwarfClan ) is back for a 2nd term on the Team NaPo council!

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poets/wallyroo92/

When he's not distracted with dreams of smoking pipe tobacco and feasting on salted pork, Gimlyroo has the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox! NOTHING will get past him as he tends to his duties as Unique Word Counter. No Tropheee for you! he'll say if you fall short of the minimum unique word requirement. But why 50 words?

His policy is: don't axe, don't tell.

wallyroo92 has also been Instagrammed & Tweeted!

https://www.twitter.com/poeticmedics/
https://www.instagram.com/poeticmedics/

Still undecided about going on an adventure with us? You've got until Midnight of March 30th to join. However, you may want to consider bringing noise canceling headphones. Gimlyroo plays the drums.  And you know how Dwarves love Rock.

Our Fellowship so far!

01.R CST - JohnnyBlaze - Onalaska, WI, USA
02.R EST - Ahavati - Cherokee, NC, USA
03.R EST - LunaGreyhawk - Raleigh, NC, USA
04.R EST - Eerie - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
05.R GMT - AspergerPoet - Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
06.R PST - SatinUGal - San Rafael, California, USA
07.R EST - marina2020 - Bristol, RI, USA
08.R EST - DaisyGrace - Lexington, Kentucky, USA
09.R GMT - razzerleaf - Derbyshire, England, UK
10.R PHT (GMT+8) - Summerrain75 - Philippines
11.N BST - InNomine - Glasgow, Scotland, UK
12.R GMT - Josh - Beiras de Nord, Portugal
13.R PST - wallyroo92 - Bakersfield, CA
14.R EST - cabcool - St James, Jamaica
15.R PST - cloventongue89 - Aurora, Colorado, USA
16.N PST - Valeriayah - Needles, CA, USA
17.N EST - Zazzles - Fitchburg, Massachusetts, USA
18.R CST - Gahddess_Worship - Spring, Texas, USA
19.R MST - Kinkpoet - Charleston, Arizona, USA
20.R GMT - Viddax - Hampshire, UK
21.R EST -  PoetsRevenge - Boston, MA, USA
22.R EST - da_poetic-edifier - Columbia, MD, USA
23.N EST - Honoria - New York City, NY, USA

R = Returning
N = Newcomer

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 274

Having read the NaPo 2021 Rules & Guidelines, I'm in!
My location is  West Haven, Connecticut located in Time Zone EST

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

DaisyGrace said:

Thank all things holy for that! I gave up chocolate. I’m dying. Though....I did create a few VERY good lent complaint desserts for myself 😬 banana blondies with brown butter frosting are sooooooooooooo good!

I gave it ALL UP! All sweets, desserts, deliciousness! And something else Source knows all about!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Sex_on_the_Joe said:Having read the NaPo 2021 Rules & Guidelines, I'm in!
My location is  West Haven, Connecticut located in Time Zone EST

Welcome to the Fellowship, SotJ!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

Last year's NaPoWriMo provided an excellent word counter link.  I've lost the link.
Does anyone have one they love and use?

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1664

Tallen said:Last year's NaPoWriMo provided an excellent word counter link.  I've lost the link.
Does anyone have one they love and use?

Hi Tallen,
I use(d) https://wordcounter.net/
Hope that helps. Cheers, Josh

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

For those of you unfamiliar with NaPoWriMo, it was a national challenge that has become a global phenomena, in which poets attempt to write a poem per day throughout the month of April ( otherwise known as National Poetry Writing Month ).

We doo eet differently here at DUP! Ahavati and I conjured up a way to make it more torturous challenging by having participants expand their vocabulary and grammar with entries containing 50 or more unique words.

It can be a bit of a harrowing experience for those accustomed to penning minimalistic musings and cutesy, wittle, pixie-bootsie forms, but we promise this fire will help forge you into a poet skilled for any epic battle of [s]words!

50 Unique Word Rule The body of each poem must contain 50 or more  "unique" words. You can repeat any word as many times as you wish, but it only counts as 1 unique word. You are allowed to make up your own words. Titles and quotes of other writers are not included in your unique word count. If you provide the number of unique words in your entry, please type it AFTER the poem is finished.

What counts as 1 unique word : Contractions | Ampersands | One letter words such as "a" or "I" | Numbers such as "4" | Hyphenated words such as "sugar-free" | Elvish words such as "mellon"  

If you don't have a minimum 50 unique words after 24 hours of posting, this will result in 1 Strike.

One Violation of this particular rule will result in you not receiving the Trophy.

However, in recognizing how grueling tasking it can be to provide a substantial offering of words on a daily basis, we unlimited the affair to posting 1 poem every 24 hours, while you can write and hoard as many poems as you care to the moment April begins in your Time Zone.

So when a cave troll breaks your commode and floods your abode with a plumbing disaster, you can have a few poems at the ready to post. The day being saved, you can go back to dealing with your crisis. Or nap in the shade of Old Man Willow. We're flexible as much as we are demanding, so it all evens out.    

And, to make your quest to Mount Dumb even easier, we allow you to utilize scraps of unfinished poems you have lying around in the library.

Using Previously Written Ideas For Poems You may convert any written idea into a poem for entry if you wrote it down digitally or old school in a notebook and did not perform any further work on it. In essence, you may use any poem you "started" and it is only during April 1st - 30th that you may "finish" said poems.

If you paused during the "note-making" - i.e were interrupted or answered Nature's call - the note remains valid.

If you returned to the "note-making" after performing a chore or relaxing, then the note is no longer valid. You cannot consult the written version and must start writing it again from scratch during April.

A few days ago, we mentioned "prompts" that are available during our adjacent "Stomp the Prompt Comp". While these often silly ideas can be used to inspire your entries, you're not restricted to using them.

And although NaPo 2021 is Lord of the Rings themed, you are by no means limited to writing about persons, places, or events that occured in the mystical world of Middle Earth created by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Acceptable Entries & Writing Prompts We provide prompts available in the NaPo Prompt Comp competition likewise beginning on April 1st.

Otherwise, you do have complete freedom to write about anything you want! You will not be disqualified based on content or quality - with the exceptions of Erotica, which is not allowed, and Plagiarism; if we discover that you are swapping words in pre-existing poems or copying partial to entire poems, you will be notified AFTER the competition that you were Disqualified.

PLEASE use common sense. Your poetry, unpolished or otherwise, is a reflection of the overall talent being fostered by DUP. We would hate to see outside readers, potential members, or even publishers turned away by material meant to garner attention purely from shock value. Don't be a shock jock.

Do you feel more at ease now? Enough to register and give this NaPo thing a try? Good!

Oh, we forgot to mention there might be Nine Poemwraiths on terrible steeds black as midnight hunting you down. Try not to panic. You'll be in good hands with our Fellowship!

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 889

That meme though 😂 😂😂
People in the doctors office waiting room looking at me like I’m a nutter 😇

Seriously though, did you make the meme??

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

One does not simply make a meme for the DUP NaPo unless participating in it! 😂

This one's all on Johnny!

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 889

Ahavati said:One does not simply make a meme for the DUP NaPo unless participating in it! 😂

This one's all on Johnny!

It’s fabulous 🤣

Misfitpoet89
Twisted Dreamer
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 151

Having read the NaPo 2021 Rules & Guidelines, I'm in!
My location is Tracy, California located in Time Zone PST.

Hi guys!!!!

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 864

Misfitpoet89 said:Having read the NaPo 2021 Rules & Guidelines, I'm in!

Hi guys!!!!

Welcome to the gang!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Misfitpoet89 said:Having read the NaPo 2021 Rules & Guidelines, I'm in!

Hi guys!!!!

Nice to see your return, Misfit!

Misfitpoet89
Twisted Dreamer
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 151

LunaGreyhawk said:

Welcome to the gang!

Thank you !

Misfitpoet89
Twisted Dreamer