Go to page:

Let's talk about comments!!!

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 274

crimsin said:I came to DU in 2011 and got some critiques that really hurt my newly budding writing sensibilities at first glance but later I absorbed the message they were giving and built upon my skills... I do miss those days sometimes I don't even know how I found my way here I was just lucky I guess...I'm grateful for the experience...

"Constructive criticism" will always feel like "Destructive criticism" because it is always delivered in its rawest and coldest form. Some critics may not know the difference between the "Bullying" approach and the "Motivative" approach because this was probably their first encounter when they were critiqued. Be that as it may, we as fellow artists need to always wear a hardened shield around our emotional reactions and stand by our material no matter what. As long as we can stay strong and continue to believe in our own efforts we can then understand just how far we have traveled through our journeys. The pain only stings when we plant our first footprints after the third footprint has been planted then our emotional reactions can be tucked away and washed off our backs.

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

dkzksaxxas_DanielX said:RL me, babe !  Get down wit it.

RL's go down in the hall of fame!!!!!

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

PoetSpeak said:Members should get an RL giving allowance of 3 per day.  
The RLs being given out like water just for posting reminds me of kindergarten where everyone gets a trophy or certificate just for showing up.  Then the kids grow up and cry every time something doesn't go their way.  Give all the comments you want, but let's make the RL about the writing, not about currency.

I 100% concur with this statement. I kind of feel like some poets give out RL currency because they either may not have the time to actually read the piece at that specific time or they just don't have the words or cannot find the right words for a real comment. There are also some who just spam the RL instead of comments because they are only on this site for reading purposes. And then there are the poets who actually use the RL for those pieces that stand out from others and are kept as jewels in their profile diaries.

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

SweetKittyCat5 said:When I came abroad on DUP September 2018 as an established erotic writer, I had the pleasure of poetically interacting with several other like-minded poets/poetesses through comments, replies, or assisting with lending my opinions in private.

I was blessed with countless comments, which was always a beautiful sentiment as time progressed and other avenues to showcase my talent opened for me in the written world of poetry, comments became less and less significant, due in fact, I am on several other poetry sites, my production company, writing the next best novel (s), blazing my views, my perceptions, and always honing my craft. Therefore, when I do not get a comment, it is a small sigh for me to read other gifted poets/poetesses and submerge my mind in their magnificent narratives.

We are here because we all have a story to tell, and hopefully once it originates from the core of our intellect, written from the sentiment of our heart, it is well received in the eyes of our peers.

Please never get discouraged when no one leaves a comment, that is the reader’s given right, we all could say, shoulda, woulda, or coulda, left some form of encouragement, you took the time to read it, however, at the end of the day, it will not be a prudent to discontinue breathing life into your rare gift, or falling to the absenteeism of accolades to shake your confidence or lessen your morality to continue to write. Remember this, if you never remember anything, when it pertains to writing; you are your own cheering section and its best you be your own wise critique, it balances out your misgivings to makes you a better and effective writer.

Take into consideration it’s your aspirations, your works of art, times you have sweated over revisions to bring your expressions into light. If you cared about what other people will think before you wrote your musing, then it never would have gotten written.

Stand by your craft… you wrote it... represent it, market it, and promote it, there is a receptive audience out there for you and your genre.

Unfortanley, several poets/poetesses have moved on for various unknown reasons; for the members who have actively remained, I can attest, yes, they are making comments in favor of being earnest, which is always encouraging to see.

I still make the time to comment at best, however, when you write on several other poetry sites, editing for a fee, a busy novelist, and a student, allocated time is not always the standard element. Not saying it’s an excuse, nevertheless, sometimes it’s just the exception.

Write On and Shine DUP
SKC

It is funny how you and I both started out our DUP careers in the same month of the same year. It was like we were the popular poets when we were writing in the erotica genre. I needed to stretch my wings and expand so I started taking on new and different types of genre with a very unique personal touch. Many people enjoyed my works. But back then the lack of commentary was becoming a burden for me because I needed that personal feedback from my fellow poets so that I myself could feel better about the genres I was writing in.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

no comment

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Thought I'd add some to this thread...

I find comments to be really valuable to me. All comments, good, bad, funny, ridiculous. They are all meaningful to me.

Back in the beginning of my DU journey, I even had a thingy on my profile page inviting people to say what ever they like below my poetry.

Over the years I have found that some poets are easier to comment on than others. I s'pose it's to do with the way they write or how they present the writing.

I've also loved the reading challenges that the webmiss creates. So I probably find a balance.
Though I do believe that the craft is subjective and what one person thinks is gold, could read as awful to another. For this reason I feel that we need an internal understanding that we've subscribed to freedom of speech, when asking for comments.

I have noticed a decrease in comments in DU of late. I've landed on some wonderful art of late and looked at the empty comment boxes thinking WTF ?

Also cognizance needs to be taken that many people (I was a case in point) come to DU to learn and with out any interaction or guidance that is really difficult.

Equally I've come to realise that my better relationships here have stemmed from comments both on my own words and those of others.

I'm a huge fan of the critique system here. I definitely encourage critique and I believe it really has helped me grow and love DU!

I appreciate this discussion and thank you for bringing it up!

TheOralizer
Tyrant of Words
United States 26awards
Joined 15th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 106

Thanks for reading and comments. Yes, opinions are likes noses everyone has one which is great. Hugs and peace (Oral)

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 821

RevolutionAL said:Thought I'd add some to this thread...

I find comments to be really valuable to me. All comments, good, bad, funny, ridiculous. They are all meaningful to me.

Back in the beginning of my DU journey, I even had a thingy on my profile page inviting people to say what ever they like below my poetry.

Over the years I have found that some poets are easier to comment on than others. I s'pose it's to do with the way they write or how they present the writing.

I've also loved the reading challenges that the webmiss creates. So I probably find a balance.
Though I do believe that the craft is subjective and what one person thinks is gold, could read as awful to another. For this reason I feel that we need an internal understanding that we've subscribed to freedom of speech, when asking for comments.

I have noticed a decrease in comments in DU of late. I've landed on some wonderful art of late and looked at the empty comment boxes thinking WTF ?

Also cognizance needs to be taken that many people (I was a case in point) come to DU to learn and with out any interaction or guidance that is really difficult.

Equally I've come to realise that my better relationships here have stemmed from comments both on my own words and those of others.

I'm a huge fan of the critique system here. I definitely encourage critique and I believe it really has helped me grow and love DU!

I appreciate this discussion and thank you for bringing it up!

Al, you reflect so well my feelings about comments. I'll admit to being a bit of a affirmation whore. I don't get much of it at work or home so DUP has filled thar void saying "you're good at something...you have impact..you can make a difference in other's lives...you are enough." And I, as you expressed Al,do miss getting more reads and comments. It does make me appreciate ten-fold the comnents I do get. I've made some wonderful friends on the site and I satisfy my appetite for diversity of thought on a daily basis. Cheers Al for conjuring these thoughts and for your truly unique and inmovative poetry style.

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 164

I read a mini-article not too long ago, that basically said that poor poetry shouldn't be praised.  The author was saying that by doing so, it encourages more poor poetry to be written.  And that those writers won't improve, that they should work UP to earn praise.

And I disagreed 100 percent.  Because it's like learning a sport, or to dance, or any other thing we are working towards.  Encouragement encourages motivation.  Motivation drives interest.  Interest increases skill.  It's that simple.

So by all means, encourage one another.  And we all should do it more often.  
    On one of the other sites I belong to, one of their rules (actually a few sites do it) is that you have to make three comments on other writers' poems before you can post one of your own.  Sure, several comments are the generic "nice poem".  
But, it still makes the writer feel "viewed" just a little bit more than a big ol zero.
   And yet, it also makes us read!  And we just may find an author or poem that really pings our interest.  That's how circles are built.  How writing communities are built.

Too many here in DUP not only don't bother with others, they just post and go, they also don't even acknowledge replies to their own material.  Which I keep track of, and then avoid their stuff.  
I'm all about building the community, as are many here.  We are here not just for a pat on the back or whatnot, it's also for the general camaraderie of the shared interest.

Obviously we end up with our favs.  We all like what we like.  But we all should check out new stuff from established members, and new writers too.   And let them feel appreciated.  Yes, some indeed do that in here.  Just not enough of us.  

I try to comment two or three times a visit on writers I normally don't read often enough.  Limited time is usually the culprit. Like maybe many of you.  
But you can sign on just to read and comment.  It furthers the cause.  

Hell, I may even send a PM to a low-output writer, to encourage them to feed the site with their material.  I don't know if our PMs are read by monitors, and I don't care.  But if they are, then they know that I am sincere in this.  
  I'm a lousy cheer-leader. But I try.  Pom-pom's make my hands cramp.  Then I can't type shit.  So hopefully this will rally more output from the leaner contributors.

Write on.

PoetSpeak
Tyrant of Words
United States 54awards
Joined 17th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 166

Totally agree with all that you said ..

What pisses me off most are those who just leave a RL and no comment.  They use the RL like Bitcoin.  We are supposed to be poets.  Write your comment and if the poem is extraordinary, award a RL.  Also agree on reading new members.  Only way to find the jewels in the crown.  
Comments don't have to be long either.  
My BIG LIKES have merit.  It I give you one, you've written a quality poem in my eyes.  

Nice job Styxian

BIG LIKE

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 332

As to me getting no comment one might quote adaptively Tennyson's line from 'The Charge of the Light Brigade'.

'Mine is not to reason why...'

Sometimes comments have come years after the poems referred to have been posted, but then sometimes it takes more than one read to see my depths. On the other hand I admit it's thrilling to see the number of comments shown up. The chattier comments elicit my replies as well as the odd one that asks what I meant by what I said. I have also had warm ones that have led me into online friendships.

I'm not bothered by RLers who don't comment, sometimes one's poem might be too stunning for words and the person may need to be given time to articulate them. Sometimes you may be RLd by someone who finds your poem strikes a chord with them over a personal issue they may not want to share.

At end of the day being put on someone's RL can be encouragement and even a badge of excellence that your work is savourable  or perhaps just because there's an attractive picture (I put my hand up to RLing for that reason)..

Styxian
Dangerous Mind
United States 15awards
Joined 9th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 164

PoetSpeak said:Totally agree with all that you said ..

What pisses me off most are those who just leave a RL and no comment.  They use the RL like Bitcoin.  We are supposed to be poets.  Write your comment and if the poem is extraordinary, award a RL.  Also agree on reading new members.  Only way to find the jewels in the crown.  
Comments don't have to be long either.  
My BIG LIKES have merit.  It I give you one, you've written a quality poem in my eyes.  

Nice job Styxian

BIG LIKE

Yesssss!  (As I do the Napoleon Dynamite fist pump!)  
I got a Big Like!   I get to do my dork dance!  
No, it isn't pretty.  Do not watch.  Lol

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

I will always argue my point into the ground here at dup... The fact that (poets) people post their pieces to this site is already a recognition that the writer/author wants some kind of comment or insight for the pieces that they have produced whether good or bad in some type of hope or recognition from others over their pieces. If poets did not want their pieces to be commented on then most of them wouldn't even bother posting or even associating with this site. Comments will always be a big piece of the puzzle that newer poets and members will come to rely on so they will know where their place lies at in the deep. To me there is no such thing as good or bad poetry just good or mediocre poets determined on skill and talent.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5781

RevolutionAL said:

You know this made me think once of a member who admitted once that they wouldn’t comment on me for years because they were too intimidated… and this totally blew my little mind It did get me thinking though that maybe how we present ourselves DOES effect comments. To which I think, well… that’s everybody else’s problem. Not mine. But it was an avenue of thought I’d never really considered before.

I totally agree with the better relationships here have stemmed through comments. I think when you’re open with another person they feel safe in being open and honest back, and honesty is invaluable in a place like this. And may I also say, fairly rare.

Styxian said:I read a mini-article not too long ago, that basically said that poor poetry shouldn't be praised.  The author was saying that by doing so, it encourages more poor poetry to be written.  And that those writers won't improve, that they should work UP to earn praise.

And I disagreed 100 percent.  Because it's like learning a sport, or to dance, or any other thing we are working towards.  Encouragement encourages motivation.  Motivation drives interest.  Interest increases skill.  It's that simple.

Yeah… I agree with this too. On that flip side, if a writer is ‘surface terrible’ I guess we were all new at this once? How do they know if they’re ‘surface terrible’ without that guidance and feedback? I guess I’m a bit of a fan of nurture here also. That’s important, and I’m glad you highlighted this.

Solomon_Song said:
I'm not bothered by RLers who don't comment, sometimes one's poem might be too stunning for words and the person may need to be given time to articulate them. Sometimes you may be RLd by someone who finds your poem strikes a chord with them over a personal issue they may not want to share.

At end of the day being put on someone's RL can be encouragement and even a badge of excellence that your work is savourable  or perhaps just because there's an attractive picture (I put my hand up to RLing for that reason)..

I found this comment interesting because RL’s have always been a bit of a contentious issue for me. Yes a person can write a stunning poem and that’s a reason I’d reading list. Sometimes I RL if the poem is very personal and I just wanted a person to feel heard and acknowledged without throwing my two pence into the proverbial ring.

There’s also another kind of DU user, and that’s the reading list whores (self named) who just like a pretty reading list and never comment. Ever. And those chaps annoy me. Because that’s vanity over community. And I don’t really have time for that.

Sex_on_the_Joe said:I will always argue my point into the ground here at dup... The fact that (poets) people post their pieces to this site is already a recognition that the writer/author wants some kind of comment or insight for the pieces that they have produced whether good or bad in some type of hope or recognition from others over their pieces. If poets did not want their pieces to be commented on then most of them wouldn't even bother posting or even associating with this site. Comments will always be a big piece of the puzzle

Yup. Yup. Yup.

That’s the crux of it all for me. Thank you for sharing this opinion.  

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 332

I wrote a poem in DUP about Reading Lists, about how enjoyable I have found being on that of poets I like:

IN EACH OTHER'S READING LISTS
To be found in your Reading List -
As good as being hugged and kissed.
It shows that I have won your heart
In love for my poetic part.
I'm sure you'll want to look up me
No just once but more frequently,
To make you smile on a dull day
And inspire you along the way.
If a poem of YOURS takes me
With you by its own quality
Or/and a picture that brightly