Let's talk about comments!!!

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 274

JohnnyBlaze said:Threads vs Poems

if a Search Engine Bot lands on a poem, it inflates the poem by 1 viewing.

If the same lands on a 100 page thread, it usually inflates the thread views by 100 as it travels through all its pages. It will do it again anywhere from a few days or weeks later. And again. And again. If it is Google, it's looking for the latest version of each page available to the public.

Would it be too much to ask DUP if they can find a way to notify the writer that another actual member of the deep besides their auto-bot algorithm has  seen their pieces?

PoetSpeak
Tyrant of Words
United States 54awards
Joined 17th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 166

Members should get an RL giving allowance of 3 per day.  
The RLs being given out like water just for posting reminds me of kindergarten where everyone gets a trophy or certificate just for showing up.  Then the kids grow up and cry every time something doesn't go their way.  Give all the comments you want, but let's make the RL about the writing, not about currency.

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

Ahavati said:

Exactly. Believe it or not ( not directed toward you but in general ) there are actually writers here who are not here to socialize**, but to genuinely improve their writing because they're building a portfolio.

** I don't care why anyone is here, be it to socialize, share, improve writing, or whatnot. So don't come at me.

When I first started I wasn't really here to socialize with other members but to mainly get my poems out in the open for whoever comes along to read them. In the same process, I have also learned that you need to be social as well when it comes to getting the comments that you want or need. It isn't all about how many poems you post to this site that matters but also how much friendship and communication with other writers as well. Most poets are looking for that commentary that can help them become better and endure more hardships as a writer and then there are also other poets who are just out for number one. In my opinion for you to truly survive the deep you need a little bit of both and then more. You need balls, commitment, and courage.

SweetKittyCat5
Tyrant of Words
26awards
Joined 5th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 1387

When I came abroad on DUP September 2018 as an established erotic writer, I had the pleasure of poetically interacting with several other like-minded poets/poetesses through comments, replies, or assisting with lending my opinions in private.

I was blessed with countless comments, which was always a beautiful sentiment as time progressed and other avenues to showcase my talent opened for me in the written world of poetry, comments became less and less significant, due in fact, I am on several other poetry sites, my production company, writing the next best novel (s), blazing my views, my perceptions, and always honing my craft. Therefore, when I do not get a comment, it is a small sigh for me to read other gifted poets/poetesses and submerge my mind in their magnificent narratives.

We are here because we all have a story to tell, and hopefully once it originates from the core of our intellect, written from the sentiment of our heart, it is well received in the eyes of our peers.

Please never get discouraged when no one leaves a comment, that is the reader’s given right, we all could say, shoulda, woulda, or coulda, left some form of encouragement, you took the time to read it, however, at the end of the day, it will not be a prudent to discontinue breathing life into your rare gift, or falling to the absenteeism of accolades to shake your confidence or lessen your morality to continue to write. Remember this, if you never remember anything, when it pertains to writing; you are your own cheering section and its best you be your own wise critique, it balances out your misgivings to makes you a better and effective writer.

Take into consideration it’s your aspirations, your works of art, times you have sweated over revisions to bring your expressions into light. If you cared about what other people will think before you wrote your musing, then it never would have gotten written.

Stand by your craft… you wrote it... represent it, market it, and promote it, there is a receptive audience out there for you and your genre.

Unfortanley, several poets/poetesses have moved on for various unknown reasons; for the members who have actively remained, I can attest, yes, they are making comments in favor of being earnest, which is always encouraging to see.

I still make the time to comment at best, however, when you write on several other poetry sites, editing for a fee, a busy novelist, and a student, allocated time is not always the standard element. Not saying it’s an excuse, nevertheless, sometimes it’s just the exception.

Write On and Shine DUP
SKC

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

juliagkrimmel said:

yes! there's a difference between honest and constructive criticism and just being harsh or mean. there are ways to help or correct a writer without tearing their poem apart and making them unnecessarily upset

100% agreed.

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

Ahavati said:

Registration is March 01 - 30. T-Minus five days until launch! Team NaPo'21 is downright giddy!

Ok... So it is in April but March is the sign-up time. Can you automatically sign me up in March or do I really have to sign-up on my own? Quick question just out of curiosity, were any of my pieces I wrote last year of any decent quality that was worth the Napo/WriMo event? I'm not even sure if you remember or not.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Sex_on_the_Joe said:

Ok... So it is in April but March is the sign-up time. Can you automatically sign me up in March or do I really have to sign-up on my own? Quick question just out of curiosity, were any of my pieces I wrote last year of any decent quality that was worth the Napo/WriMo event? I'm not even sure if you remember or not.

1. No; you must register yourself along with your location and time zone.

2. We do not judge the * quality * of poetry submitted for NaPo, and neither should you. NaPo isn't about quality but quantity: 30 poems ( and we mean poems, not haiku, tanka, limerick et al ( no offense meant toward nopoo ) ) in 30 days. We do not pay attention to grammar, punctuation, or spelling; we only count that you have submitted a poem.

May is for editing; once you've recovered. . .

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

Gahddess_Worship said:Comments are like Christmas gifts. I enjoy getting them but even more giving them. Why not validate, in small measure, the work of a fellow poet especially if it compels them to continue writing. I personally am grateful for the feedback be it good or constructive. I unashamedly admit to enjoying very much the comments feature in DUP if used to build and not destroy.

You couldn't have said it better. Whether poets want to comment on other poets' pieces or not they need to understand and accept the fact that they are also responsible for the making or breaking the spirits of other fellow poets. We are supposed to be a building block and motivative community where inexperienced, experienced, struggling, and starving artists can come and rest their weary poetic spirit. We are the ones who are talented, respected and well known among the deep. In my opinion, it is our duty to help inspire, mold, shape, and motivate other fellow poets who are either just coming into their poetic talents or just looking for someone to read what they wrote. We as a "Poetry" community owe these traveling souls at least that much dignity and service to help them along their way. This is where comments play a key role in this movement. We are all here in this community to help strengthen one another and not destroy one's hopes and dreams. At least that is what I thought this site was all about. "Poetry"

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

Gahddess_Worship said:I don't concern myself with views because it's not clear whether anyone of the readers actually red the piece through to the end, although with Senryu/Haiku one would hope so. When someone comments you can better assume that hey read the entire piece.

This is true what you say. Especially for the long-winded writers out there. There is no real evidence or acknowledgment that other poets actually read what is written. Some of us just skim through a couple of lines just to get a feel for the rhythm and emotional context of the piece if it is long-winded. Some of us just read others' comments and piggyback off of that especially if they are too difficult to understand or break down into our own terminology. I for one am guilty of this. There are many long-winded and complicated pieces out there.

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

juliagkrimmel said:

thank you so much! i have found a lot of lovely people here and amazing comments that have helped me find more and more passion in poetry (if thats even possible lol)

I am here to help as many writers as I can. I am an experienced writer through dedication, perseverance, suffrage, time, and most of all patience. I did not go to school to get a fancy degree in poetic literature or whatever you would call it. I was never taught by any outsiders or counselors. My poetic talents are a natural gift blessed upon me through heartbreak and hardships. I will never declare that I am the best writer here in the deep but I would like to recognize my place beside the greats as one of their own. Like anything we do in life, our poetry needs to be fed and properly nourished. Practice is the key to become greater. Never stop writing.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

What happens after reading too much without commenting...

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeYX2wTy/

juliagkrimmel
daisygirl
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 18th Feb 2021
Forum Posts: 17

rabbitquest said:What happens after reading too much without commenting...

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeYX2wTy/

LOL

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Sex_on_the_Joe said:

Would it be too much to ask DUP if they can find a way to notify the writer that another actual member of the deep besides their auto-bot algorithm has  seen their pieces?

That's hard to answer. The Webmiss has no website staff, so it's just her running the entire place. Could she update the software to do so? I'm sure she could, given the time, because she is a Coding Genius. But does she have a million other ideas already waiting to be implemented? Who can say.

It's something you would have to ask in the Suggestion forum to get more of a quicker, straighter answer from her directly.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Sex_on_the_Joe said:

Ahavati said:

1. No; you must register yourself along with your location and time zone.

2. We do not judge the * quality * of poetry submitted for NaPo, and neither should you. NaPo isn't about quality but quantity: 30 poems ( and we mean poems, not haiku, tanka, limerick et al ( no offense meant toward nopoo ) ) in 30 days. We do not pay attention to grammar, punctuation, or spelling; we only count that you have submitted a poem.

May is for editing; once you've recovered. . .

LOL! If only! I didn't recover until July last year!

Please understand that between running NaPo and participating in it, Ahavati and I hardly remember our own names aside from requiring intraveneous fluids.

Hopefully this year with the implementation of a new ruling system, there will be more time for all of Team NaPo to relax, read, and comment on entries ... and perhaps eat and sleep ... and bathe . . .

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018

PoetSpeak said:I’ll take a comment over an RL any day of the week.  Just leaving an RL without even a short comment I find offensive.  That you had time to read the poem but didn’t have the time to leave a comment is just ludicrous.  I’ve been here since 2013.  I know what this site was like and the excellence it demanded to get an RL.  I feel like some poets use the RL as some kind of Bitcoin crypto currency to buy readers and gain popularity.  That offends me too.  A comment is amazing.  I don’t leave RLs unless it’s miraculous writing.  I’ve recently taken to upping my ante and now leave BIG LIKES after my comments.  Several poets have already told me how much they love my comments and BIG LIKES.  

I appreciate this opportunity to express my opinion on this subject.  It’s been bothering me for awhile now.   So .......

BIG LIKE

I am glad that some people actually do recognize this issue for what it is. Unfortunately, so many others have forsaken this option to help motivate and encourage their fellow poet/poetess because of the defensive abuse they have received for their honest and constructive criticism to help the needy. With this being said it is totally unfair on both sides of this coin. We as artists should crave for commentary on our most selfishless and vulnerable pieces that we share. This is how we as a community prospers. This is how we show compassion and commitment to our fellow poets. Commentary must stay alive. Without it, we might as well just be stand-up comedians performing for a group of crickets.

Go to page:
Go to: