Let's talk about comments!!!

Ricky-Journals
Ricky-Journals
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
  profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Dec 2020
Forum Posts: 941

I tend to get more reads on the threads than I do my own section.
Or at least I think I do. I know the numbers on the “positive things everyday” is as big as it is because of me posting what I had before I took it all down.

Only left what I felt about comments.

Nope. No undisclosed account. Only have this one. I don’t hide behind a fake persona or need several accounts to write crap.
Or be anonymous

Eerie
Eerie
Dangerous Mind
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 405

I’d rather have a comment over an RL add, personally. I enjoy others’ thoughts and in some cases, the camaraderie. I select honest critique because I want my ass handed to me.

PoetSpeak has been railing against the RL for the past couple of months. I can’t say that I disagree with his thoughts.

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 907

Northern_Soul said:

100%.

i came in here on the tail end of the 'old days' i think. i had a few very good interactions with some of the old timers. but for the most part, it was just a social thing for me.

as i've been here longer and forged relationships with other people, i do get the critique that i want. but also the fun stuff. this place is what you make it.

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 907

Ricky-Journals said:I tend to get more reads on the threads than I do my own section.
Or at least I think I do. I know the numbers on the “positive things everyday” is as big as it is because of me posting what I had before I took it all down.

Only left what I felt about comments.

Nope. No undisclosed account. Only have this one. I don’t hide behind a fake persona or need several accounts to write crap.
Or be anonymous

ok.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
30awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1820

Comments is the only avenue i have to comment on spills i feel are outstanding.........nowdays -- with those i don't follow, have blocked or have blocked me ( i will often blocked someone who has blocked me just for general purposes (it's really a non-sensical reason.............most of the time i will eventually unblock 'em)

LunaGreyhawk
LunaGreyhawk
Fire of Insight
United States
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 391

said:
as i've been here longer and forged relationships with other people, i do get the critique that i want. but also the fun stuff. this place is what you make it.

I recently received this advice from a dear poet here, and I have to say, it’s absolutely true 💜

Sex_on_the_Joe
Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 18th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 203

Bluevelvete said:I comment to hopefully make a difference by leaving my "footprints" upon a solicited for piece of poetry. There's a reason why you can select 'no comments' and that's completely understandable. I never question anyone's set preferences for their wanted feedback.

Feedback in friendly or of honest critiques are optional to add as a choice upon your individual page. Available as a selection, in my opinion, in hopes, that we'll grow as a writers and perhaps personally from another's input, point of view or someone's ability to reach in and touch us in a way we hadn't been previously, with possible astute and eloquently stated observations. I believe comments connect us together in a way that's important for self reflection, writing development, hilarity, and resonation. (and so many many more reasons, too, I suspect)

Personally, I write comments for as many poems as I can, because I feel it's important. If I'm moved emotionally or impacted in any way by a writer, I leave comments for them of my explanations. I like to think that it's helpful, maybe of some use to them and my hope is, even enjoyed. I too, think "How would I want feedback to appear on my own page?" and I go from there with whatever personal insight I can rightly covey.

I do try to focus on new members and perhaps poems that aren't read as much. I even work on that reading challenge as well.
It's beneficial for me to discover new styles, thoughts, ideas and opinions that I normally wouldn't come across.

I don't look at leaving comments /feedback as just structure enhancing, it's morale boosting and community building, in my humble opinion.
🌹

Yes Bluevelvet!!!! This is the type of response and attitude I was looking for in this forum debate. You have hit this subject square on the nail. Commentary (especially positive) is the number one building block to help other writers feel more comfortable and more self assured of their work. It brings hope and inspiration to those who are struggling with their inner poetic peace and their state of mind. It moves the writer to become better than they were when they first joined the deep. Sometimes a positive comment can mean all the difference between a "Masterpiece writer" and a "I think I will leave the deep because I feel ignored and unwanted" kind of mind set. If you have faith and complete passion in what you write than you know there will be someone out there who will have the same passion and desire to comment proudly and positively on the piece the author wrote.

Bluevelvete
Bluevelvete
Tyrant of Words
17awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st July 2020
Forum Posts: 1723

Sex_on_the_Joe said:

Yes Bluevelvet!!!! This is the type of response and attitude I was looking for in this forum debate. You have hit this subject square on the nail. Commentary (especially positive) is the number one building block to help other writers feel more comfortable and more self assured of their work. It brings hope and inspiration to those who are struggling with their inner poetic peace and their state of mind. It moves the writer to become better than they were when they first joined the deep. Sometimes a positive comment can mean all the difference between a "Masterpiece writer" and a "I think I will leave the deep because I feel ignored and unwanted" kind of mind set. If you have faith and complete passion in what you write than you know there will be someone out there who will have the same passion and desire to comment proudly and positively on the piece the author wrote.

Thank you, Sexy Joe:)
🌹 - xo

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4504

Threads vs Poems

if a Search Engine Bot lands on a poem, it inflates the poem by 1 viewing.

If the same lands on a 100 page thread, it usually inflates the thread views by 100 as it travels through all its pages. It will do it again anywhere from a few days or weeks later. And again. And again. If it is Google, it's looking for the latest version of each page available to the public.

Ricky-Journals
Ricky-Journals
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 11th Dec 2020
Forum Posts: 941

^ I’m gonna remember that. To not rush anymore drawings or be quick to post anything long anymore

Tink dat b the best fing 2 do

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
97awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9563

rabbitquest said:I write comments in order to get my score higher.
My DUP score.  I will often keep it short and sweat like
" Niece write!"

If a poem is really good,
I usually get jealous that I couldn't write it
and either skip or try to find something wrong with it,

I do that alot with Ahavati's poems,
point out her spelling errors,
for instants.

I like to encourage bad writers like ***** ***,
telling them "grate Job, Keep it up",
as a community service, to keep people feeling happy.
I believe in Carma, so I like to make people happy
and wait in expection for happiness to come to me.

If it does not come, I usually pour myself another cup of
COFFEE.

LMAO!!!

Sex_on_the_Joe
Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 18th Sep 2018

Ahavati said:It's  cut and dry with me: if you ask for honest critique, and I see something that can be improved ( particularly grammar, misspellings, etc. ), I'm going to honor YOUR request, be that an honest critique or friendly comment ( if it so moves me ).

Not to say I empathically haven't provided critiques privately ( such as Luna's above, if I am the one she's referring to ), especially if I feel it might embarrass the poet publicly.

Regardless, dissing the one who took the time to honor your critique is eschewing your own responsibility of asking for it.

Think before you ask, and assume responsibility for your requests.

I have to agree with you there on that note. If you write a piece and put that you want "honest critique" than you have to also accept the fact that honest critique will take many shapes and forms. You are opening yourself up to more than just constructive criticism but also the responsibility for you to accept what ever form of criticism that is dealt. (I'm not saying that you should accept negative, bullying, disrespectful or just "tear down the writer" comments) If the reader may see some detrimental errors or may have a better solution, or format for helping the writer become better than that author needs to remember what they asked for and be acceptful to the readers point of view with an opened mind. A poet who cannot accept these critical offers of opinions need be wary what they ask for. After all how can an inexperienced writer learn if not for a harsh and experienced teacher? It is all about how you take your medicine rather than who is dishing it out.

Sex_on_the_Joe
Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 18th Sep 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:

Righteous, Dude.

* slathers Joe with Awesome sauce *

I thought the Napo/WriMo was in April???

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
97awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9563

Sex_on_the_Joe said:

I have to agree with you there on that note. If you write a piece and put that you want "honest critique" than you have to also accept the fact that honest critique will take many shapes and forms. You are opening yourself up to more than just constructive criticism but also the responsibility for you to accept what ever form of criticism that is dealt. (I'm not saying that you should accept negative, bullying, disrespectful or just "tear down the writer" comments) If the reader may see some detrimental errors or may have a better solution, or format for helping the writer become better than that author needs to remember what they asked for and be acceptful to the readers point of view with an opened mind. A poet who cannot accept these critical offers of opinions need be wary what they ask for. After all how can an inexperienced writer learn if not for a harsh and experienced teacher? It is all about how you take your medicine rather than who is dishing it out.

Exactly. Believe it or not ( not directed toward you but in general ) there are actually writers here who are not here to socialize**, but to genuinely improve their writing because they're building a portfolio.

** I don't care why anyone is here, be it to socialize, share, improve writing, or whatnot. So don't come at me.

juliagkrimmel
juliagkrimmel
daisygirl
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 18th Feb 2021
Forum Posts: 17

Sex_on_the_Joe said:

yes! there's a difference between honest and constructive criticism and just being harsh or mean. there are ways to help or correct a writer without tearing their poem apart and making them unnecessarily upset

Go to page:
Go to: