Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 18th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 203

JohnnyBlaze said:Firstly, a few things.

Views are not entirely indicative of real people reading your poems. Some views come from Search Engine Bots returning to index every page of a website on a daily to weekly basis.

If you are a newcomer, don't blast all of your poems through the Submittal process as fast as possible. When people are actually following you and you pace yourself, your poems are less likely to go by unseen.

The more you comment on the poems of others, the more likely you will receive comments on your poems from others. Therefore, if you find yourself insisting you don't have time to comment, then make time to do so.

Use as many themes as you can that apply to your particular poem so that it will turn up in searches.

Specify in your profile the kind of comments you are appreciative of.

====================

I personally enjoy helping others improve their poems and it helps me become a better writer in the process. Most poems can be improved in some fashion, even those of established poets already published.

The analysis that goes into critique is more time and energy consuming than providing friendly feedback, so I tend to reserve my more intense comments for those that actually request such and are less likely to ignore it. Therefore, I'm less inclined to surf through the latest poems and I leave fewer comments than I could.

And regardless of what kind of feedback you were asking for, if I leave a simple observation with a suggestion that is met with a conniption fit, I'll never bother with your poetry ever again. There are plenty of fish in this particular sea.

As a reminder, registration for NapoWriMo 2021 begins in less than a week! Look no further for a 30 day challenge in an atmosphere of positivity and encouragement.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poetry-writing-month/  

Thank you JohhnyBlaze for summing up this little bit of info that even I wasn't aware of. Although the algorithms used to specifically pick out a poem by the theme doesn't really seem to explain all the views of a particular piece being seen by a member of the dup verses the comments left behind. Would it be a terrible suggestion to let the author/writer know how many members have at least seen their piece? Maybe if we can see that our works have been viewed by actual members than maybe the ideas of wanting or needing a piece to be commented on can be more easily swallowed.
I will be attending this years Napo/WriMo event as well.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4504

Sex_on_the_Joe said:

Thank you JohhnyBlaze for summing up this little bit of info that even I wasn't aware of. Although the algorithms used to specifically pick out a poem by the theme doesn't really seem to explain all the views of a particular piece being seen by a member of the dup verses the comments left behind. Would it be a terrible suggestion to let the author/writer know how many members have at least seen their piece? Maybe if we can see that our works have been viewed by actual members than maybe the ideas of wanting or needing a piece to be commented on can be more easily swallowed.

I will be attending this years Napo/WriMo event as well.

Righteous, Dude.

* slathers Joe with Awesome sauce *

Sex_on_the_Joe
Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States
10awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 18th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 203

LunaGreyhawk said:As far as receiving comments, I enjoy knowing that something I poured my soul into found kindred suffering/joy/humor in the other writers here.  I also have no formal training, unless you count the creative writing classes I took in college many moons ago, so I havenít studied forms and perspectives the way some here have.  I tend to just try my hand at various poetic forms as I have the time and opportunity to see if I can speak from another perspective or delve into a subject that I wouldnít otherwise write about.  I sometimes fail horribly and I find I am thankful when no one points this out lol.

Iíll also add that some of the most helpful critique Iíve ever gotten here has been sent through my inbox and was kept out of the eye of the general public.  It was a kindness, and it allowed me to really consider the criticís suggestions without first feeling defensive about having that conversation in front of my peers.  I donít always make changes to my poetry based on critique unless itís a glaring grammatical or punctuation error.  Sometimes it comes down to knowing that following the suggestion(s) would make the poem closer to ďcorrectĒ for its chosen form and more likely to be read and understood by the masses, and still choosing to keep it the way it is anyway.  

I want to be a really good writer, so I appreciate it whenever someone gives me honest critique.  If I didnít care about evolving and learning, I wouldnít bother sharing my poetry at all.  Poetry is a bit of a vulnerability gamble when tacking it up in a public forum.   As everyone here has probably experienced at some point, it stings a bit to have someone miss the message you attempted to deliver in order to give you a rundown of your misuse of grammar or form, and my insecurity often wants to ask, ďok, but what did you think of my poem?Ē lol.  But in the end, I canít become a good writer if I close myself off to opportunities to grow.  Not everything I write is going to be top-shelf, and thatís a fact for all of us.  Bottom line is that I appreciate critique when it is given and I try not to ever get so attached to a thing I created that I canít accept it could use some work to make it better.  

As for making comments, oof this is a tough one.  I tend to only comment when I find resonance in another poetís words.  I struggle with finding new ways to say, ďthis really moved meĒ.  Sometimes, the meaning of a poem passes right over my head, but the emotion it leaves behind sticks with me, or the way the poet played with his/her/their words paints a stunning landscape in my synesthesia, and Iím at a loss for how to convey that.  I am guilty of RLíing poetry that I loved but couldnít find words for.  But, since I know how good it feels to receive that confirmation that something you wrote met with someone who appreciated it, I keep trying.  

When I first started out with DUP I had a hard time swallowing the fact that some of my pieces just wouldn't get commented on. This made me feel some type of way. It made me feel like I wasn't good enough or my pieces were just too elaborate for most readers to understand. I did feel invisible and overlooked sometimes. I felt like some of my best pieces were just tossed aside and weren't even given the proper attention. These feelings passed by the way as I became more knowledgeable and comfortable with the whole comment schemes. With this being said I never allowed it to deter me from sharing my personal feelings and point of views. When the comments did come I felt more relieved, more respected and more welcomed as a member. It is very hard to give birth to a poem that you want and crave commentary on and know the fact that the comments will never weigh the same as the views or likes received. Knowing this made me even more determined to write more and share more without the need for commentary to objectify my pieces. I guess I became a stronger and more motivated writer than when I first started. But I believe that there are writers (especially the new members) who need these comments to either improve their art or believe more in themselves as poets.

Ricky-Journals
Ricky-Journals
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
  profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Dec 2020
Forum Posts: 942

Iím getting the urge to start a ďwho will actually buy your bookĒ after all this lovely comment talk.

juliagkrimmel
juliagkrimmel
daisygirl
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 18th Feb 2021
Forum Posts: 17

Sex_on_the_Joe said:

When I first started out with DUP I had a hard time swallowing the fact that some of my pieces just wouldn't get commented on. This made me feel some type of way. It made me feel like I wasn't good enough or my pieces were just too elaborate for most readers to understand. I did feel invisible and overlooked sometimes. I felt like some of my best pieces were just tossed aside and weren't even given the proper attention. These feelings passed by the way as I became more knowledgeable and comfortable with the whole comment schemes. With this being said I never allowed it to deter me from sharing my personal feelings and point of views. When the comments did come I felt more relieved, more respected and more welcomed as a member. It is very hard to give birth to a poem that you want and crave commentary on and know the fact that the comments will never weigh the same as the views or likes received. Knowing this made me even more determined to write more and share more without the need for commentary to objectify my pieces. I guess I became a stronger and more motivated writer than when I first started. But I believe that there are writers (especially the new members) who need these comments to either improve their art or believe more in themselves as poets.

i always crave the validation that comes from comments and as you said it's a tough pill to swallow when your work doesn't get the commentary or recognition you want. i'm always wondering if my poems are even good or if people are just being kind. i wish to be a good poet, but i fear i'm not and i want to get better but without criticism and praise i'm not sure how to improve.

Ricky-Journals
Ricky-Journals
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 11th Dec 2020

^ You get more views than me. Youíre doing all right. Relax.

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
7awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 907

a couple of things from my tenure here (which started in 2014 i think so i ain't 'old' but i ain't a newbie):

1. i feel like this conversation comes up once every so often. i'm surprised some of the "old" members haven't commented with how it used to be "back in the day." i think the reason why some of us (me included) have stopped giving 'honest critique' is because we've been burnt  by it. and by burnt, i mean i took a long time to offer suggestions/critique on poems only to have people get BIG mad about it. whatever. people can say what they way back to me, but after multiple, MULTIPLE times of that happening, i just stopped. if i know someone can actually handle some criticism, i'll sometimes offer it up. if i don't, i'll leave a comment if i'm moved to.

but also....

2. who can offer up critique? ANYONE WHO FUCKING WANTS TO. i don't have to tell you my credentials. i come here to be mostly anonymous. so if your argument for not considering/ignoring/bashing on people who offer critique is that you don't know who they are or want to know where their best seller is...well, you do you boo. but you could possibly be passing up on some valuable insight. AND even if a person doesn't have credentials, or a best seller, doesn't meant that they can't tell you what they like or don't like about your piece. readers read what they like. so if you aren't being read, maybe you aren't writing what people want to read. (or you have an attitude and people don't read your pieces because they don't want to deal with you.) writers  become better writers through critiquing/reading/responding to others work. that's just logical.

3. regarding views: when i had my profile and poems visible to members and non members, my views were MUCH higher than they are now that i have my profile set to only be seen by members who are signed in. so it's possible your views are high, but your comments are low, because people can't comment without being a signed in member. and your pieces are possibly being read by anyone who searched for....oh, i don't know....erotic poetry.

4. it comes down to what you want your experience here to be. if you want a social experience, that is valid. if you want a "serious poet looking for serious interactions" that is valid too. If you want a mix of both...make it happen! if you are looking for actual critique, i suggest seeking it out. not just using the 'i want honest critique' function. find writers that you think are great and start getting to know them. form a relationship with them. then ask them personally if they are willing to critique.

5. just be nice.

Ricky-Journals
Ricky-Journals
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 11th Dec 2020

^ thereís truth there.
I became a better lyricist studying Eminem and no-one here.

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 29th Mar 2017

Ricky-Journals said:^ thereís truth there.
I became a better lyricist studying Eminem and no-one here.

Good.

Northern_Soul
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 579

DaisyGrace said:

1. i feel like this conversation comes up once every so often. i'm surprised some of the "old" members haven't commented with how it used to be "back in the day." i think the reason why some of us (me included) have stopped giving 'honest critique' is because we've been burnt  by it. and by burnt, i mean i took a long time to offer suggestions/critique on poems only to have people get BIG mad about it.

Ah, yes... ďBack in the dayĒ was savage... some of us remember it very well. Very few of the current pond would have survived it.

But I think it was because people were more passionate back then. Poetry meant something to the big critiquers from those years. I miss them and I donít miss them. Iíve been hurt and healed by those old critiquer guys in equal measure. So I feel that.

DaisyGrace said: 2. who can offer up critique? ANYONE WHO FUCKING WANTS TO.

Amen to that with a capital A. Nobody needs to be an Oxford scholar. The sad fact is many people feel like they do, and thatís wrong.

DaisyGrace said:5. just be nice.

100%.

Ricky-Journals
Ricky-Journals
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 11th Dec 2020

Iím not sure who the no reads and attitude problem was aimed at, considering my posts about getting no reads lol but I made the numbers shoot up on a certain thread when it was just me posting on it. So I read it and thought: maybe thatís just aimed at any direction.

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 29th Mar 2017

Ricky-Journals said:Iím not sure who the no reads and attitude problem was aimed at, considering my posts about getting no reads lol but I made the numbers shoot up on a certain thread when it was just me posting on it. So I read it and thought: maybe thatís just aimed at any direction.

it came from this absolutely lovely, welcoming comment made to a relatively new member.

Ricky-Journals said:^ You get more views than me. Youíre doing all right. Relax.

also...you can't complain about no one reading your poetry if you don't have any poems for people to read.

Ricky-Journals
Ricky-Journals
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 11th Dec 2020

All I know is, I get reads when effort is put in.
And donít waste time having one line conversations on countless of threads just to try and get the views up. Each to their own.

DaisyGrace
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States
Joined 29th Mar 2017

Ricky-Journals said:All I know is, I get reads when effort is put in.
And donít waste time having one line conversations on countless of threads just to try and get the views up. Each to their own.

reads on poems? or reads on threads? because from what i can gather, this thread is about reads/comments on actual poems. of which you have none.

unless you have an undisclosed account. which i thought was a no no.

rabbitquest
rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
United States
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 1816

I write comments in order to get my score higher.
My DUP score.  I will often keep it short and sweat like
" Niece write!"

If a poem is really good,
I usually get jealous that I couldn't write it
and either skip or try to find something wrong with it,

I do that alot with Ahavati's poems,
point out her spelling errors,
for instants.

I like to encourage bad writers like ***** ***,
telling them "grate Job, Keep it up",
as a community service, to keep people feeling happy.
I believe in Carma, so I like to make people happy
and wait in expection for happiness to come to me.

If it does not come, I usually pour myself another cup of
COFFEE.

Go to page:
Go to: