Forum Posts: 5572

^ Thank goodness. Those poor children.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

'Let them take you to court': Biden dares GOP to obstruct him

Go big. Go fast. And, if need be, go without the GOP.

Since assuming office two weeks ago, President Joe Biden has made this his credo while instituting a record 45 executive actions that fulfill campaign promises on everything from climate change to racial equity to immigration, undo a number of Donald Trump’s policies, and have shaped the news cycle along the way.

And while the carefully calibrated policy rollout can’t, on its own, juice the economy or ramp up the Covid-19 response on the scale that’s needed, White House aides believe it has helped build momentum for the president as he tries to sell a historic $1.9 trillion “rescue” package.

Their belief in that is so strong, in fact, that Biden officials and allies are now practically daring Republicans to fight them, convinced that the public is firmly on the side of quick action.

“It will save our majority if he takes that approach with everything that he does,” said House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), one of Biden’s closest allies in the House. “Don’t try to go around them. But if they refuse to do it, use his executive powers and do it. And let them take you to court.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/let-them-take-you-to-court-biden-dares-gop-to-obstruct-him/ar-BB1dk9o0?ocid=msedgdhp

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Biden on immigration orders: 'I'm eliminating bad policy'

President Biden on Tuesday defended his early reliance on executive actions as he signed three more orders focused on immigration.

"There's a lot of talk, with good reason, about the number of executive orders I've signed. I'm not making new law. I'm eliminating bad policy," Biden told reporters in the Oval Office.

"What I'm doing is taking on the issues that, 99 percent of them, that the last president of the United States issued executive orders I thought were counterproductive to our national security, counterproductive to who we are as a country," he added. "Particularly in the area of immigration."

Biden signed off on three orders on immigration. One established a task force focused on the reunification of migrant families separated at the southern border under the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" policy.

[ . . . ]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-on-immigration-orders-i-m-eliminating-bad-policy/ar-BB1dkz92?ocid=msedgntp

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Biden tells Democrats he’s willing to compromise on stimulus checks

The House will vote Wednesday on the first step toward pushing Biden’s relief package through Congress without GOP support.

President Joe Biden said he's open to refining key elements of his nearly $2 trillion coronavirus package during a call with House Democrats on Wednesday, but stressed the urgency of delivering the massive relief bill quickly to the pandemic-stricken nation.

Biden told the House Democratic Caucus that he was willing to compromise on who will be eligible for the next round stimulus checks — but remained firm on the size of the $1,400 check, according to multiple sources on the call.

“Let’s stick together, I have your back and I hope you’ll have mine,” Biden told House Democrats in his first meeting with the group since taking office, according to several people listening. He made an emotional case for quick action, citing the alarming rate of suicides and worsening drug addictions amid the pandemic.

“I am not going to start by breaking a promise to the American people,” he added about direct payments.

[ . . . ]

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/03/biden-dems-call-stimulus-checks-465484

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

^ Good. Definitely help out the people on the bottom ladder rung and work your way up, but don't make them wait any longer than necessary. 👍👍👍

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Biden chooses California's Su as deputy Labor secretary

Biden chooses California's Su as deputy Labor secretary

President Joe Biden has offered Julie Su, who heads California’s Labor and Workforce Development Agency, the role of deputy Labor secretary, and she has accepted, two people familiar with the decision told POLITICO.

Su, the daughter of Chinese immigrants and a longtime advocate for low-wage workers, was among the names initially floated for Labor secretary. But Biden nominated Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, a longtime friend who had the backing of the AFL-CIO. Walsh's Senate confirmation hearing is on Thursday.

A graduate of Harvard Law School, Su served as the state’s labor commissioner for about eight years before becoming its labor secretary. Prior to that, she spearheaded litigation at Asian Americans Advancing Justice, a legal aid organization in Los Angeles.

[ . . . ]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-chooses-california-s-su-as-deputy-labor-secretary/ar-BB1dn1lF?ocid=msedgntp

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 752

JohnnyBlaze said:^ Good. Definitely help out the people on the bottom ladder rung and work your way up, but don't make them wait any longer than necessary. 👍👍👍

I must agree ... I wonder why it was put off for the last 8 months? I wonder why even though Covid numbers are at their highest, many Governors and Mayors are calling for businesses and schools to reopen? After 250,000 small businesses were shuttered and 17 trillion wiped in 2020, now after second wave numbers are increasing there is a change in policy.   Whether it was political or not, I must agree with Johnny B. Open businesses and schools, or our country will collapse. Trump is gone. I love my country. I don't want anyone else to lose a job or not get a proper education. It doesn't matter what party is in control, but now that democrats control absolutely everything, it is their responsibility to save the country. Please democrats, save my country from collapse.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Poll: 61 percent approve of Biden actions in first days as president

Sixty-one percent of Americans said in a new poll that they approve of the job President Biden is doing two weeks after being sworn in, and a majority believes he’s up to the task of tackling an array of crises.

According to The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research survey released Thursday, 35 percent of Americans strongly approve of the job Biden is doing, and 26 percent somewhat approve. Another 26 percent strongly disapprove, and 11 percent somewhat disapprove.

The results are sharply divided by partisan lines, with 97 percent of Democrats approving along with 58 percent of independents and 23 percent of Republicans.

The results indicate Biden may enjoy a honeymoon period in the early days of his presidency even as the country remains fiercely divided. Presidents in modern history enjoyed approval ratings of at least 50 percent at the start of their administrations, though former President Trump never broke that threshold in most mainstream polling.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/537301-poll-61-percent-approve-of-biden-actions-in-first-days-as-president

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Today's Letter from an American is applicable for this thread since it refers to not only Biden's foriegn affairs policies, but impending change in American as well:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/11722/90/#519812

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:Today's Letter from an American is applicable for this thread since it refers to not only Biden's foriegn affairs policies, but impending change in American as well:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/11722/90/#519812

And for those not familar with the Yemeni Civil War.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemeni_Civil_War_%282014%E2%80%93present%29?wprov=sfla1

The civil war began in September 2014 when Houthi forces took over the capital city Sana'a, which was followed by a rapid Houthi takeover of the government. On 21 March 2015, the Houthi-led Supreme Revolutionary Committee declared a general mobilization to overthrow Hadi and expand their control by driving into southern provinces. The Houthi offensive, allied with military forces loyal to Saleh, began fighting the next day in Lahij Governorate. By 25 March, Lahij fell to the Houthis and they reached the outskirts of Aden, the seat of power for Hadi's government. Hadi fled the country the same day. Concurrently, a coalition led by Saudi Arabia launched military operations by using air strikes to restore the former Yemeni government. Although there was no direct intervention by Iran, who support the Houthis, the conflict has been widely seen as an extension of the Iran–Saudi Arabia proxy conflict and as a means to combat Iranian influence in the region.

Houthi forces currently control the capital Sanaʽa and all of North Yemen except Maʼrib Governorate. They have clashed with Saudi-backed pro-government forces loyal to Hadi. Since the formation of the Southern Transitional Council in 2017 and the subsequent capture of Aden by the STC in 2018, the anti-Houthi coalition has been fractured, with regular clashes between pro-Hadi forces backed by Saudi Arabia and southern separatists backed by the United Arab Emirates. Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have also carried out attacks against both factions, with AQAP controlling swathes of territory in the hinterlands, and along stretches of the coast.

According to ACLED, over 100,000 people have been killed in Yemen, including more than 12,000 civilians, as well as estimates of more than 85,000 dead as a result of an ongoing famine due to the war. In 2018, the United Nations warned that 13 million Yemeni civilians face starvation in what it says could become "the worst famine in the world in 100 years." The crisis has only begun to gain as much international media attention as the Syrian Civil War in 2018.

The international community has sharply condemned the Saudi Arabian-led bombing campaign, which has included widespread bombing of civilian areas. According to the Yemen Data Project, the bombing campaign has killed or injured an 17,729 civilians as of March 2019.

The United States provided intelligence and logistical support for the Saudi-led campaign. In March 2019, both houses of the United States Congress voted to pass a resolution to end US support to the Saudi Arabia war effort. It was vetoed by President Donald Trump, and in May, the Senate failed to override the veto. However, in January 2021, newly elected President Joe Biden froze arm sales to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 752

Like troops sent back into Syria on inauguration day, that President Trump had removed, Biden now halts President Trump's plan to remove Troops from Afghanistan, even though we have been there for 2 decades. Not only is Biden a documented racist but now shows the world he is a warmonger. Perhaps the new secretary of defense that was on the board of a weapons manufacturer had something to do with it.
https://youtu.be/VGTUYLJGBm4

Please explain to me how any of this is a lie....as I am usually accused of...

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

( Mandel Ngan / AFP - Getty Images )

Biden admin on track to meet goal of 100M coronavirus shots in first 100 days

The administration is averaging 1.5 million shots a day, according to coronavirus coordinator Jeffrey Zients.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-admin-track-meet-goal-100m-coronavirus-shots-first-100-n1257284

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

^ I'm psyched. 10%+ of the U.S. population vaccinated so far.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

You have to admire President Biden's focus:

Joe Biden is continuing his push to approve his $1.9 trillion stimulus package even as the Trump impeachment trial proceeds
[ . . . ]
The president has refused to get dragged into the impeachment proceedings, arguing there were bigger crises at hand. Biden recently said he was not watching the trial. Last month, Democrats charged Trump with an article of impeachment for instigating the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol that left five people dead.

"We have already lost over 450,000 people, and we could lose a whole lot more if we don't act and act decisively," Biden said on Tuesday. "As I have said before, children are going to bed hungry. A lot of families are food-insecure. They are in trouble. That's my job."

[ . . . ]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/joe-biden-is-continuing-his-push-to-approve-his-2419-trillion-stimulus-package-even-as-the-trump-impeachment-trial-proceeds/ar-BB1dEkFa?ocid=uxbndlbing

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Biden town hall defined by his respect, empathy and kindness toward questioners

Joe Biden’s first cable TV town hall as president provided some news and policy substance. He talked about making it possible for everyone who wants a COVID-19 vaccination to be able to get one by the end of July. He talked about reopening classrooms for pupils in kindergarten to eighth grade this spring. He talked, and maybe went on a bit too long, about China and immigration.

But what was most impressive was the respect, empathy and kindness he showed to the audience members in Milwaukee’s Pabst Theater who asked questions. That is more a matter of style, I guess. But for many politicians, TV style often seems artificial, coached and rehearsed. And maybe I’m just so happy after four years to hear a president who isn’t a bully and blowhard that I’m willing to be fooled, but Mr. Biden’s kindness to questioners came across as sincere.

[ . . . ]

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/columnists/zurawik/bs-ed-zontv-biden-town-hall-20210217-aana2nlzzzd3li645c6u7mftna-story.html

President Biden has faced much loss in his life. His first wife and infant daughter were killed in a car crash; and then he lost a son to brain cancer. When it comes to children, he cares deeply and can empathise with fear and loss experienced by parents.

Go to page:
Go to: