Go to page:

Vintage book covers

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 889

Em-ily said:i love the style of cover art on the story of Sacajawea. It seems very gentle in spirit. Love the log, or whatever, in the foreground. And the perspective as well, looking up, towards the heroine as she moves forward.

i just know i have seen this artist's work before, probably a zillion times, too.

I’ve always liked the cover as well. There is a softness to it. It’s an epic story.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

Reference guide to the various iterations of Hercule Poirot

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 889

Ahavati said:

SQUEALZ! My father had that book ( as well as the Last of the Mohiccans )! Great read!

Heh. My copy of Sacajawea belonged to my dad. I remember being fairly young and looking at it on the bookshelf. It seemed so huge to me! Like, how could anyone read a book that big! Anyway, he passed it to me.
He also had Clan of the Cave Bear and Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

There was also some weird sex book that was really old. I forgot about that one until just now

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I do have this one from 1969. I have suitcases full of books in my garage that I stored there. Some probably vintage.

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

maybe google British Library Crime Classics. their covers are beautiful.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

dartford said:maybe google British Library Crime Classics. their covers are beautiful.

Yes! I have a reference guide to the Collins Crime Club covers.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

dartford said:maybe google British Library Crime Classics. their covers are beautiful.

I wondered when you were going to chime in!

poet Anonymous

nice!

poet Anonymous

nice on the meh!

poet Anonymous

Richard Powers was known for the abstract-realism of his many book covers during the 1960s. His covers grace paperbacks of many different genres, but sci-fi is where he really made his mark.

poet Anonymous

Here is an illustration he created in 1965 for an advertisement for Pentathol.

Rather striking use of imagery, considering the trademark.

poet Anonymous

His famous wrap around cover for Childhood's End

poet Anonymous

And last but not least, an utterly gorgeous 1960 cover, featuring Astronaut, &, presumably... Muse? Also possibly a portal in orange and red. Or, as likely, the whole ensemble surrounding the astronaut could be an illustration of abstract astro-mechanics in the process of assembling themselves into the operation of Astronaut's craft.

A stunning illustrator, to me.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

Those are beautiful images, Emily, thank you for sharing them.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

From the age when paperback genre fiction always had to have a woman with big tits on the cover.

Go to page:
Go to: