Go to page:

misinformation (the fact check thread)

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

you’re right that doesn’t stick out in my memory, but i do remember vaguely the news about it at the time.  i don’t think that’s full grounds to say that google in countries with freedom of information laws actively suppresses search results,  but fair point that if they wanted to, they probably could

i wonder- if a search result is prioritised, does that count as suppression of the non-prioritised search result?

(it is very difficult admittedly for me to pick out anything useful from that video due to me being a young whippersnapper... i just see senility and dumb questions and kind of turn off)

good article btw a, big tech companies really should be properly investigated for some of their practices, but this hearing really wasn’t what that was about

does anyone have any more information on specifically the search engine aspect ? like how the software worked in China, and laws potentially preventing that software being used elsewhere?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

I dunno if Google are suppressing searches. I don’t think it would affect me if they did. I know they can.

i have seen through a ch4 news special a few years ago it is possible for tech companies to interfere with elections

Cambridge Analyitica  were caught pretty much red handed by the undercover journalists. it’s fkn scary the kind of packages which were on offer for the highest bidder. it might be on the ch4 player

so, while there’s every chance google aren’t  fucking around, there’s every chance they are. like I said at the start, the clip proves nothing

[ happen to agree most of the questions and the way they were put were a bit juvenile. what was interesting to me was the guys body language, the revelation of a prototype, and the guys circumventing of the really simple question “do you commit to not going into China while you’re c.e.o of google”]

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

well im sure from a business standpoint they don’t want to fully rule out such a big potential market.

i would need to refresh my memory on the details of Cambridge Analytica but so far my understanding is they manipulated the campaign process by selectively promoting propaganda material. which is bad but shouldn’t be confused with manipulating voter outcome.

be back later

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

https://youtu.be/mpbeOCKZFfQ

It is a totally different scenario to what google is, but fin hell. there are companies out there will do antin for money. usurp democracy for a few squids

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

disgusting behaviour but very difficult to prove illegality.

quick facts so far summary : google have the ability to suppress search results, however there’s no evidence that they are doing so.

in the case of “blue anon” information seems available online without suppression.

companies do not operate with any discernible moral code other than what they can get away with

ca interference in trumps election is proven. no interference in bidens has come to light but that doesn’t mean it never happened.

what almost certainly did not happen was tampering at the voting level.

my opinion: playing mind games with potential voters is far more nefarious than any situation of “fake votes”.  Blue anon is not an organisation, but does warrant criticism.

some of the conspiracy theories sound more conspiracy than others. and some seem to have little to do with politics at all

it seems like an attempt to equate democrat misinformation with Qanon

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

anna_grin said:disgusting behaviour but very difficult to prove illegality.

quick facts so far summary : google have the ability to suppress search results, however there’s no evidence that they are doing so.

in the case of “blue anon” information seems available online without suppression.

companies do not operate with any discernible moral code other than what they can get away with

ca interference in trumps election is proven. no interference in bidens has come to light but that doesn’t mean it never happened.

my opinion: playing mind games with potential voters is far more nefarious than any situation of “fake votes”.  Blue anon is made up bullshit to try and make dems look just as bad as Qanon.
https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

Also see:  https://www.netreputation.com/how-to-suppress-google-search-results/#:~:text=One%20of%20the%20easiest%20ways%20to%20suppress%20Google,comply%20and%20update%2Fremove%20the%20content%20posted%20about%20you.

Google will scour the entire internet in search of information about the related keywords you searched. The most pertinent information will reside on the first three result pages.

It is important that while you are working to suppress Google search results, you surpass the third page to maximize your efforts.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Now that Joe Biden has safely been elected the 46th president, the Hunter Biden storyline is safely resurrected.
If the Post stories had been aired and circulated freely, if the Beltway media hadn’t ignored and ridiculed them, if Big Tech hadn’t temporarily suppressed them, would this have helped President Donald Trump?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/john-kass/ct-media-big-tech-biden-kass-20201216-wuentomuq5e45jgpuq4baichhu-story.html

Poll article here: https://thefederalist.com/2020/11/24/poll-one-in-six-biden-voters-would-have-changed-their-vote-if-they-had-known-about-scandals-suppressed-by-media/

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

edible appreciate your popping up but a big tech company operating shady for a client, offering to spread slander and lies, and a nationwide effort that was against misinformation are similar but not the same.

neither is suppressing search results as part of a marketing strategy the same as google themselves participating in this.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

anna_grin said:disgusting behaviour but very difficult to prove illegality.

my opinion: playing mind games with potential voters is far more nefarious than any situation of “fake votes”.  Blue anon is not an organisation, but does warrant criticism.

some of the conspiracy theories sound more conspiracy than others. and some seem to have little to do with politics at all

it seems like an attempt to equate democrat misinformation with Qanon

And an extremely piss poor one at that.

This whole situation where certain posters regurgitate whatever they blindly swallow in their Facebook feeds, while hilarious, is giving me a headache.

I'm going to go lie down for the rest of this thread.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

EdibleWords said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/john-kass/ct-media-big-tech-biden-kass-20201216-wuentomuq5e45jgpuq4baichhu-story.html

Poll article here: https://thefederalist.com/2020/11/24/poll-one-in-six-biden-voters-would-have-changed-their-vote-if-they-had-known-about-scandals-suppressed-by-media/

aye that’s definitely a somewhat suspect tactic. it’s unfortunate because if there had been no other misinformation circulated (eg that he’s a hair sniffing pedo) this story could probably have run without irreparable damage to his campaign. definitely doesn’t bolster his / the campaign‘a moral high ground

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Yeah, I think the summary is decent enough. can’t say I know anything about blue anon.

i think voter surpression has been going on for a while now. having worked in an voting area and taken I.d from people before they get their ballot paper I think it’s the right way to go.  

I don’t see the logic of some guy or lady comes to get their ballot and can’t prove who they are. I mean, c’mon :),

but yeah, can’t fault your summary. thanks much for your response

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

ah craic if we get into voter suppression we have to get into race politics again. my meaning was that of the votes entered, the idea that a significant amount were “fake” is false. prevention of people voting in the first place is an entirely different thing.

gonna have to be a bitch and ask for sources from anyone who wants to contribute on that topic

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14270

anna_grin said:oh mate i haven’t watched that clip you posted yet but i can already tell it’s old people not understanding how the internet works

[ . . . ]

LOL @ 'old people'! Reminds me of the video I've seen with that old couple trying to figure out how to get the camera to work, and it's already working the entire time!

It's more than that, though. It's politicians who don't know a damn thing about what they're questioning ( which would apply to any business ). It would be like one questioning me about graphic design and how long it should take per design. I actually had a former employer who did that? "So, you can get at least four designs out in an hour? Right?" Erm, no. Not right.

The politicians ( many of them ) had agendas going into that hearing which would confirm some of their constituents accusations about suppression of information, etc. When people want to hear something, they will mold anything to hear it. Including interrupting and badgering, which is exactly what happened in portions of that hearing. Particularly by the one I referenced.

The burden of proof lies on the accuser, not the defendant.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

yes apart from the one small nugget about China’s system, which wasn’t properly explored, there was no useful information there

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Fact check please:

“ I know about your organized * knock down cabal *, which has absolutely nothing to do with anyone who may disagree with our opinion about anything. It's about people wanting to control the board, and if they can't have their way ( political forum ) then they'll just knock down the threads they don't want to see for the sake of themselves and everyone else. “  - Avahti

source: https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/suggestions/read/11821/105/#526139

If this is not proves as fact then there is a very serious allegation being thrown around which I think deserves some  kind of sanction.

Go to page:
Go to: