Go to page:

misinformation (the fact check thread)

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

lepperochan said:I'm curious as to what people think Edible's 'agenda' is here and who exactly people think they are saving from her 'agenda'

so far anyone who has moaned about is appears to have the run of their faculties. do we have any evidence a member of DU has logged in, seen some Edible's links and done a u-turn on their own beliefs or convictions. I think not

If you don't like what the woman is posting. ignore it. simple.  you're supposed to be the intelligent ones.

struck me Anna was misinformed about the way the vaccines work also. maybe I'm right maybe I'm

i think you're wrong on several points here. first the "agenda" - ew clearly has some troubling biases: against abortion, vaccines of all kinds, and a strange assumption that somehow all the black people who voted for biden don't exist.

second, i suppose no one is won over immediately,  but it opens a door that in my house, we keep shut.  everyone has the run of their faculties, but the floor plan is a little different in some.

i don't always ignore what i don't like.  i don't like racism,  i don't like animal abuse,  i don't like seeing friends suffer with mental health problems, but by and large, i'm doing my best now to ignore this particular irritant. as the old prayer goes, give me the grace to accept what i cannot change blah blah blah.

i'm not sure how you came to the conclusion i was misinformed, love it if you could elaborate.  i'm fairly confident my knowledge is greater than miss edibles at the very least.

you're beginning to annoy me on this, so i expect i'll be doing a lot more ignoring of you.  i hope this wont be inconvenient.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

JohnnyBlaze said:Pretty much everything factual regarding hot button issues ends up in Wikipedia, which has an army of volunteer editors without biases.

Trying to manipulate Wikipedia for personal gain such as advertising goods & services, linking to websites, or even silly practical joking will earn you an IP ban.

So, when in doubt of the validity of a certain Fact Checker, then simply do your own Fact Check.

And while you are there, donate to its continued existence. Everyone uses it.

Indeed.

The_Silly_Sibyl said:This isn't a serious example, but a good story to illustrate how misinformation works.
[ . . . ]
And that’s misinformation: a pre-formed assumption, a bit of prejudice, and a lack of hard knowledge.

Reminds me of the game * Rumour Mill * where the story grows, and grows. . .

If this site is okay with blatant lies and misinformation being posted, such as a woman's death from a vaccine, et al, so be it. But, if a lie or misinformation is posted, then byGod we can post the truth for clarification.

If anyone doesn't like it, they themselves can just ignore us. Pending they possess the intelligence to do such, that is.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

thank you to everyone posting accurate information x

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

anna_grin said:thank you to everyone posting accurate information x

XO

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

anna_grin said:

i think you're wrong on several points here. first the "agenda" - ew clearly has some troubling biases:

You mean like an Orthodox Jew, Muslim or Christian might have?

Sorry I’m not liberal enough for you.

...and a strange assumption that somehow all the black people who voted for biden don't exist.

Don’t slander. That’s wrong. I believe the black people of certain counties have been trampled by the dilution and outright destruction of their votes. Yes some black people voted. I’m still waiting to find out the true percentage, though.

second, i suppose no one is won over immediately,  but it opens a door that in my house, we keep shut.  

Here we do art and free thought?

everyone has the run of their faculties, but the floor plan is a little different in some.

Be inclusive!

i don't always ignore what i don't like.  i don't like racism,  i don't like animal abuse,

👍

i don't like seeing friends suffer with mental health problems,

Please don’t dehumanize sufferers. Nobody asks for it.

but by and large, i'm doing my best now to ignore this particular irritant. as the old prayer goes, give me the grace to accept what i cannot change blah blah blah.

👍

i'm not sure how you came to the conclusion i was misinformed, love it if you could elaborate.  i'm fairly confident my knowledge is greater than miss edibles at the very least.

You can think that. Y knot?

you're beginning to annoy me on this, so i expect i'll be doing a lot more ignoring of you.  i hope this wont be inconvenient.

🤔

I’m out of time for a bit, considering my responsibilities.

🤪👍

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Ahavati said:Pretty long read but worth it:

Did Candace Owens Win a Huge Lawsuit Against Facebook Fact-Checkers?

Candace Owens won a huge lawsuit against Facebook fact-checkers.

Rating: Not True

In short, TheScoop.us falsely claimed Candace Owens won a “huge lawsuit” against Facebook’s third-party fact-checkers, in a post headlined, “Candace Owens Wins Huge Lawsuit Against Biased Liberal Facebook Fact-Checkers.” Owens targeted PolitiFact in her promotion of her website FactCheckZuck.com, which she registered on October 20 2020. One day prior, on October 19 2020, Owens filed suit against LeadStories.com and USA Today, portions of which are quoted above, but has yet to “win” in court or even see the interior of a courtroom. Small print on FactCheckZuck.com disclosed that only a portion of donated funds would go towards legal fees, with the rest earmarked for “other purposes by the LLC.”

https://www.truthorfiction.com/did-candace-owens-win-a-huge-lawsuit-against-facebook-fact-checkers/

If this is what you call debunking, no wonder you look confused to me.

Pick on random detail I’m not defending and that I wasn’t even thinking of.

Red herring/straw man/whatever... lol gotta run!

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

Ahavati said:

Reminds me of the game * Rumour Mill * where the story grows, and grows. . .

If this site is okay with blatant lies and misinformation being posted, such as a woman's death from a vaccine, et al, so be it. But, if a lie or misinformation is posted, then byGod we can post the truth for clarification.

If anyone doesn't like it, they themselves can just ignore us. Pending the intelligence to do such, that is.

I think what you say about clarifying in response to misinformation is possibly even better than just ignoring it. Meet lies with the truth, not censorship.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

hello there. please only post on topic, and you have just the best day. bye now

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

How am I not on topic? The topic is misinformation and my post was about how you can respond to it.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

The_Silly_Sibyl said:How am I not on topic? The topic is misinformation and my post was about how you can respond to it.

ah not you darling im sorry carry on x

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

I think what you say about clarifying in response to misinformation is possibly even better than just ignoring it. Meet lies with the truth, not censorship.

Exactly.  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

Depending on the issue; it does become exhausting.

In regards to a communicable disease that has claimed 335,000 lives in the U.S. alone .... it's a bit of a must.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

In regards to a communicable disease that has claimed 335,000 lives in the U.S. alone .... it's a bit of a must.

Or the subsequent vaccine that could save thousands more. . .

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

anna_grin said:

ah not you darling im sorry carry on x

We cool, esse. *fist bump*

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

That’s a fair point. My own approach as just some guy is to try to educate myself and respond with reason, then if that doesn’t work move on. There’s only so much mental energy you can spend trying to have a conversation with a person who’s stuffed their ears with cotton wall.

Go to page:
Go to: