misinformation (the fact check thread)

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

let's try again.

have you, perchance, come across any dubious claims that should be fact-checked?

flagrant lies?  political zeal disguised as fact?

is it exhausting to constantly respond to the same thing over and over again?

well, here is the thread for you!

this thread is intended to debunk misinformation, posted here on this site or elsewhere, and not to spread it

this is not a debate forum

thread guidelines because apparently we need them

a) stay on topic

b) your post should be regarding some piece of misinformation that requires correcting

c) you should have credible sources to back yourself up.

general chat is fine to a point, as is questioning of sources (ideally with an alternative source) but there are other places for you to go if you want to be noisy and have lots of opinions

i.e you should not be using rhetoric to argue a point.

addendum 1: no personal attacks, no he said she said. i can understand people arguing a little but take your petty grievances elsewhere please and thank you this is not small claims court

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

examples of misinformation properly addressed:

Ahavati said:* cough *

Tennessee nurse who fainted after COVID vaccine healthy and alive

https://m-jpost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/m.jpost.com/health-science/tennessee-nurse-who-fainted-after-covid-vaccine-healthy-and-alive-653476/amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16091969260167&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fm.jpost.com%2Fhealth-science%2Ftennessee-nurse-who-fainted-after-covid-vaccine-healthy-and-alive-653476%2Famp%23amp_tf%3DFrom%2520%25251%2524s%26aoh%3D16091969260167%26referrer%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com

Ahavati said:Pretty long read but worth it:

Did Candace Owens Win a Huge Lawsuit Against Facebook Fact-Checkers?

Candace Owens won a huge lawsuit against Facebook fact-checkers.

Rating: Not True

In short, TheScoop.us falsely claimed Candace Owens won a “huge lawsuit” against Facebook’s third-party fact-checkers, in a post headlined, “Candace Owens Wins Huge Lawsuit Against Biased Liberal Facebook Fact-Checkers.” Owens targeted PolitiFact in her promotion of her website FactCheckZuck.com, which she registered on October 20 2020. One day prior, on October 19 2020, Owens filed suit against LeadStories.com and USA Today, portions of which are quoted above, but has yet to “win” in court or even see the interior of a courtroom. Small print on FactCheckZuck.com disclosed that only a portion of donated funds would go towards legal fees, with the rest earmarked for “other purposes by the LLC.”

https://www.truthorfiction.com/did-candace-owens-win-a-huge-lawsuit-against-facebook-fact-checkers/

anna_grin said:

EdibleWords said:
https://worthypolitics.com/breaking-exclusive-patrick-byrne-pallets-of-fake-ballots-in-georgias-fulton-county-were-identified-filmed-and-sampled-before-moving-trucks-picked-them-up-and-shredded-them/

interesting pictures.  not knowing much about us&a ballots, i wouldn't say i'm convinced these are "fake" much less where they are and what was done with them.  i couldn't find any fact check on this as it is a new one.

i did find this about patrick brynes:

“Byrne has a history of eccentric behavior.

In 2019, he released a statement stating that "Men in Black" federal officials asked him to engage in a relationship with Russian agent Maria Butina, an individual who tried to infiltrate conservative political groups.

Overstock's stock declined, and Byrne resigned soon after the incident. Since he left the company, sales have increased and the company's stock price has surged.

On his personal blog, Byrne indicated that he has fled the US, with his interviews being conducted from unknown locations.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/patrick-byrne-overstock-biden-trump-voting-conspiracy-theories-election-2020-11?r=US&IR=T

the claim is also disputed on twitter:

https://twitter.com/stphnfwlr/status/1345143610895904768

it appears that the image has already been used for another dubious claim of voter fraud, which makes it unlikely this story is true.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

anna_grin said:let's try again.

have you, perchance, come across any dubious claims that should be fact-checked?

flagrant lies?  political zeal disguised as fact?

is it exhausting to constantly respond to the same thing over and over again?

well, here is the thread for you!

Yes.

And Yes it is exhausting, which is why I rarely bother responding to such after it becomes obvious the people doing it are not interested in having an actual discussion.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

thanks all. going to bed , night x

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Pretty long read but worth it:

Did Candace Owens Win a Huge Lawsuit Against Facebook Fact-Checkers?

Candace Owens won a huge lawsuit against Facebook fact-checkers.

Rating: Not True

In short, TheScoop.us falsely claimed Candace Owens won a “huge lawsuit” against Facebook’s third-party fact-checkers, in a post headlined, “Candace Owens Wins Huge Lawsuit Against Biased Liberal Facebook Fact-Checkers.” Owens targeted PolitiFact in her promotion of her website FactCheckZuck.com, which she registered on October 20 2020. One day prior, on October 19 2020, Owens filed suit against LeadStories.com and USA Today, portions of which are quoted above, but has yet to “win” in court or even see the interior of a courtroom. Small print on FactCheckZuck.com disclosed that only a portion of donated funds would go towards legal fees, with the rest earmarked for “other purposes by the LLC.”

https://www.truthorfiction.com/did-candace-owens-win-a-huge-lawsuit-against-facebook-fact-checkers/

Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2668

Removed

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Valeriyabeyond said:Fact-checkers aim to get closer to the truth, but their biases can shroud the very truth they seek

By Stephen J. Ceci
Oct. 2020

Unless they don't, Val. Ergo the nurse, Tiffany Dover, edible reported dying from the vaccine is very much alive and well. And, in Tiffany's own words, has said that fainting is normal for her.  Also, there has been no ruling against the fact-checking agency in question.

As I said yesterday ( before anna's thread was hidden ) I appreciate that you feel you are defending edible. However, enabling her behaviour by not calling her out is not for the greatest good of the forum or herself. She has deliberately posted false information and refused to retract it once it was proven false, i.e. - Tiffany Dover, et al. This has resulted in moderators having to hide her posts based on false information.

I also respect anna for calling it out publicly because members are sick of edible using the forums for umpteen threads to promote her personal agenda vs an actual discussion. anna was not wrong; her method was harsh; however, ethically she was not wrong. You're not recognizing that in the midst of calling her out.

There is a balance between defending and enabling, and by not calling edible out for her own violations while defending her is, in my opinion, enabling her to continue. That is simply not an action which benefits the greater good.

With respect. xo

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Pretty much everything factual regarding hot button issues ends up in Wikipedia, which has an army of volunteer editors without biases.

Trying to manipulate Wikipedia for personal gain such as advertising goods & services, linking to websites, or even silly practical joking will earn you an IP ban.

So, when in doubt of the validity of a certain Fact Checker, then simply do your own Fact Check.

And while you are there, donate to its continued existence. Everyone uses it.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

This isn't a serious example, but a good story to illustrate how misinformation works. I used to play pub darts (no spoilers for guessing that COVID ended that) and during a game, a song came on the radio, by an old rock band. One of my teammates then told me a story about how the lead singer had once gone into toxic shock, and on pumping his stomach (TRIGGER WARNING: Gross stuff) the doctors found it filled with semen. Suggesting that he’d “swallowed” too many times and that was the reason he went into shock.

This seemed odd to me so, later on, I Snopes’d it and what do you know, it was anecdotal snake oil. Moreover, it was snake oil peddled about several musicians at different points down the years. The rumour was based on a general assumption that popular musicians get up to all kinds of depraved shenanigans, mixed with a little bit of homophobia and a large misunderstanding of medical science.

And that’s misinformation: a pre-formed assumption, a bit of prejudice, and a lack of hard knowledge.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

I'm curious as to what people think Edible's 'agenda' is here and who exactly people think they are saving from her 'agenda'

so far anyone who has moaned about is appears to have the run of their faculties. do we have any evidence a member of DU has logged in, seen some Edible's links and done a u-turn on their own beliefs or convictions. I think not

If you don't like what the woman is posting. ignore it. simple.  you're supposed to be the intelligent ones.

struck me Anna was misinformed about the way the vaccines work also. maybe I'm right maybe I'm

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

lepperochan said:I'm curious as to what people think Edible's 'agenda' is here and who exactly people think they are saving from her 'agenda'

so far anyone who has moaned about is appears to have the run of their faculties. do we have any evidence a member of DU has logged in, seen some Edible's links and done a u-turn on their own beliefs or convictions. I think not

If you don't like what the woman is posting. ignore it. simple.  you're supposed to be the intelligent ones.

struck me Anna was misinformed about the way the vaccines work also. maybe I'm right maybe I'm

I agree with you, I think it should just be ignored, but to play Devil’s advocate I will say that the issue might not be about people potentially believing misinformation, so much as making sure we don't become a site known for hosting that stuff. Few people I'm sure want to have to wade through hundreds of conspiracy theories just to get to some general discussion, poetry contests, and the like.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

I agree with Lepp as well.

If you don't agree with something, and a discussion doesn't resolve anything, you should just ignore the opinions that bother you. So long as the person isn't breaking site rules, they should be allowed to voice their opinions.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: