Go to page:

On This Date in History

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4636

Ahavati said:Today is National Holocaust Remembrance Day. I post this every year somewhere in memory of David Berger.

Amid our remembrance of those such as David, whose greatest wish when facing death was simply to be remembered, may we refuse to allow genocide in any form to ever happen again.

"...I should like someone to remember that there once lived a person named David Berger." -- David Berger (in his last letter, Vilna, 1941)

The above is a painting I did two decades ago, framed it in an original 1940's photo frame ( with the newspaper's of that same date on the back ) I found at an antique shop.

May we never forget.


That painting of yours is a haunting reminder. I need to go back and read your poem as well.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/270330-yom-hashoah/

🙏

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9772

JohnnyBlaze said:

That painting of yours is a haunting reminder. I need to go back and read your poem as well.

http://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/270330-yom-hashoah/

🙏


Thank you. xo

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9772

I found this very ironic for some reason.

Holocaust survivors get COVID-19 vaccine on Auschwitz liberation day

Seventy-six years after the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp, hundreds of Holocaust survivors are getting the coronavirus vaccines on Wednesday, International Holocaust Remembrance Day.


Survivors that were forced to flee their homes and endure Nazi death camps are now in their 80s and 90s, making them especially vulnerable to COVID-19.

The Israelitische Kultusgemeinde (IKG), the Jewish Community of Vienna, collaborated with the city's health ministry to honor its survivors with a vaccine drive on Wednesday. According to the IKG,12 doctors, all of whom are members of the organization, are administering the vaccinations to 500 Shoah survivors over the age of 85.

[ . . . ]

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holocaust-survivors-covid-19-vaccine-auschwitz-liberation-remembrance-day/

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4636

Ahavati said:I found this very ironic for some reason.

Holocaust survivors get COVID-19 vaccine on Auschwitz liberation day

Seventy-six years after the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp, hundreds of Holocaust survivors are getting the coronavirus vaccines on Wednesday, International Holocaust Remembrance Day.


Survivors that were forced to flee their homes and endure Nazi death camps are now in their 80s and 90s, making them especially vulnerable to COVID-19.

The Israelitische Kultusgemeinde (IKG), the Jewish Community of Vienna, collaborated with the city's health ministry to honor its survivors with a vaccine drive on Wednesday. According to the IKG,12 doctors, all of whom are members of the organization, are administering the vaccinations to 500 Shoah survivors over the age of 85.

[ . . . ]

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holocaust-survivors-covid-19-vaccine-auschwitz-liberation-remembrance-day/


Bless their hearts. 🙏💜

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9772

JohnnyBlaze said:

Bless their hearts. 🙏💜


I read an article somewhere that said 900 holocaust survivors died of COVID-19 in Israel, but I did not verify it.

Edit: https://www.opb.org/article/2021/01/27/bc-ml-virus-outbreak-holocaust-survivors/

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4636

Ahavati said:

I read an article somewhere that said 900 holocaust survivors died of COVID-19 in Israel, but I did not verify it.


They are the threads to history as it happened. More power to the survivors of  another plague on Humanity. 🙏

Ljdynamic
Ljdynamic
Thought Provoker
United States
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 18th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 64

January 28th.

1724 The Russian Academy of Sciences founded in St. Petersburg by Peter the Great, and implemented in a Senate decree. Called St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences until 1917.

Just mentioned this because I enjoy science and I am currently playing CIV 6 as the leader Peter.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9772

JohnnyBlaze said:

They are the threads to history as it happened. More power to the survivors of  another plague on Humanity. 🙏


Indeed 🙏

Josh
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 878

Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born today, (29.01.1860 --15.07.1904)
Amongst much else, he gave us the notion in literature of "Chekhov's gun" -- "Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4636

Josh said:Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born today, (29.01.1860 --15.07.1904)
Amongst much else, he gave us the notion in literature of "Chekhov's gun" -- "Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."


That is a must in poetry when dealing with so few words - make as many of thrm as you can count!

Go to page:
Go to: