On This Date in History

Backmomentarily
Backmomentarily
Fire of Insight
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 29th Aug 2020
Forum Posts: 663

On Nov. 28, 1520, Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan reached the Pacific Ocean after passing through the South American strait that now bears his name.

Javeli
Javeli
Strange Creature
Cuba
Joined 29th Nov 2020
Forum Posts: 2

On this day in history, 28th of Nov. 2020, The Deepundergroundpoetry organization birth a Star, and his name is Javeli.

AspergerPoet56
AspergerPoet56
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
17awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 1202

Javeli said:On this day in history, 28th of Nov. 2020, The Deepundergroundpoetry organization birth a Star, and his name is Javeli.

Confidence is a good thing
Being humble and modest
Keeps you grounded

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
98awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 9772

Love this thread, Backmomentarily. I am a total history buff so will be following it closely!

Today is a particularly controversial day in 1947, the U.N. voted for partition of Palestine to create an independent Jewish state. I have Jewish heritage; however, what was done to Palestinians is no different than what was done to the Native Americans here in the U.S. in regards to land and homes being stripped from families - what a trail of tears that was.

badmalthus
badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 337

On this day in history...1970...a 14 year old Harry decided not to grow up.

Backmomentarily
Backmomentarily
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 29th Aug 2020

Samuel Langhorne Clemens, popularly known as Mark Twain, was born November 30, 1835, in Florida, Missouri, and spent his childhood in nearby Hannibal. Twain is best known for the novels set in his boyhood world beside the Mississippi River, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer External (1876) and his masterpiece, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn External (1884).

Backmomentarily
Backmomentarily
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 29th Aug 2020

On December 4, 1991, Islamic militants in Lebanon release kidnapped American journalist Terry Anderson after 2,454 days in captivity.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Day of Infamy

Pearl Harbor attack, surprise aerial attack on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor on Oahu Island, Hawaii, by the Japanese on December 7, 1941, which precipitated the entry of the United States into World War II. Learn more about the details and significance of the attack in this article.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Pearl-Harbor-attack

I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve. ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyana
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 2526

On this day in history
December 10, 1987
My youngest son was four days old
Weight at birth 5lb4oz
Not a premee
He was laying on his tummy when I called his name he lifts  himself on to his forarms (elbows) with head up like a little turtle looking for eye contact  
I have never seen a child that age who was more aware than this

And so he has carried that on in his life

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

On this day 60 years ago-January 25, 1961

President John F. Kennedy held the nation's first-ever live televised news conference. I feel the contrast is remarkable compared to today's news conferences.

Watch the entire news conference here via You Tube.

https://youtu.be/lFde6u-OPj8

Josh
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 878

On January 22nd, 1901, Queen Victoria (b.1819) died.
Her reputation for prudishness appears well-founded. Required reading was Lady Gough's Book of Etiquette (1863) which recommended that books by male and female authors should not be in close proximity on library shelves - unless the authors were married, such as Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Winston Churchill (b.1874) died on January 24th, 1965.

Andres__Castro
Andres__Castro
Thought Provoker
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Dec 2020
Forum Posts: 100

BM,

Been on the site since Nov 22: first as Myanus, my real name in the my bio, and then just went to my own name after seeing what's up

Deciding whether to play on this thread. So….
what we all know: History repeats itself and ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

Just to be clear, judging from the posts I’ve just seen:
This thread is not really for posting what happens on this date in history,
but rather pick a date in history to make a personal or political point?

If this the case, I assume this thread will go boom! –and keep booming.

Peace, Andrés

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

The Life of Robert Burns

“January 25th is Burns Night, a celebration of the life and works of the Scottish poet Robert Burns. The ritual of the Burns Supper was started by close friends of the poet a few years after his death, and invariably involves a lot of poetry, whisky and haggis (the 'Chieftain O’ The Puddin’ Race') as well as a recital of his most famous work, ‘Address To A Haggis’.”

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofScotland/Robert-Rabbie-Burns/

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Today is National Holocaust Remembrance Day. I post this every year somewhere in memory of David Berger.

Amid our remembrance of those such as David, whose greatest wish when facing death was simply to be remembered, may we refuse to allow genocide in any form to ever happen again.

"...I should like someone to remember that there once lived a person named David Berger." -- David Berger (in his last letter, Vilna, 1941)

The above is a painting I did two decades ago, framed it in an original 1940's photo frame ( with the newspaper's of that same date on the back ) I found at an antique shop.

May we never forget.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Holocaust Remembrance Day Siren

For those who would take a moment. I can't get through it without crying like a baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR06QkEZX6zv3q05c4wCtn6_khYiDN0sVrUZeI5fa7g1JguiruwcgJbcSIU&v=PxGcFx-vDuM&feature=youtu.be

Go to page:
Go to: