Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 320

Ahavati said:

This is SO true!

https://youtu.be/BeSkxzFgpLY

LOL This was what it was like only twenty years ago...it was hard to find vegetarian food unless it was some boring salad or eggs done a million ways. Thankfully, and I must give credit to the vegans for this, we have vego restaurants everywhere here, I have three within walking distance and every restaurant, cafe, hotel...even McDonalds and Hungry Jacks (Burger King?) do burgers, the Hungry Jacks is actually not too bad. Luckily every Asian country has been producing vegetarian meat products for centuries and we can get them all here now. I eat a lot of plant based meat products..."Not Bacon" is one of my favs...but the best is an Aussie company that makes heaps and in particular a fake duck...damn good, and when I give to others to try they cannot tell the difference. So, thank you vegans . Do you know vegans don't even eat honey, and if they believe that bees had anything to do with growing avacadoes...many of them won't eat them. That's why I always say that vegetarianism is a spiritual choice and veganism is a religious one...one is personal, the other is another form of fundamentalism. As a Nihilist I know there are no rights in the world, and that includes animal rights, we just make them all up, so I chose a long time ago to invent my own animal rights, just for Harry ...though my wife has now been a vegetarian for ten years now, she had a lot of trouble giving up seafood, but she finally did it.
Well A, I hope your meditation is going well. I love the cards, pity we couldn't some how have an online I-Ching happening. Housework day for me today, keeping the place tidy for when Carol joins me in retirement in three weeks time.
Cheers...Harry

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 4134

Lord of the Rings Cast Reunites for Epic Quest to Buy $6 Million Home of Author J.R.R. Tolkien

https://people.com/home/lord-of-the-rings-stars-quest-to-save-the-home-of-author-jrr-tolkien/

Sir Ian McKellen, John Rhys-Davies and Martin Freeman are asking fans to help save the U.K. property and give it a very special new life.

Rather than crossing Middle Earth to battle the evil forces of Sauron, however, the British actors have joined a fellowship to save 20 Northmoor Road, the Oxford house in which J.R.R. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, in advance of it being put on the market by realtors Breckon & Breckon.

The initiative, called Project Northmoor, starts crowdfunding on December 2 and hopes to raise $6 million to purchase the home and create a literary center in honor of Tolkien. It is also supported by The Hobbit star, Martin Freeman.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
94awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 8942

o O Nice! I love that they honor and respect history in such a way. I don't think they'll have a problem raising the money. It's a worthwhile endeavor.

MaryWalker
MaryWalker
Fire of Insight
United States
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 207

We're getting there, slowly but Shirley .....

Vanderbilt's Sarah Fuller becomes first woman to score in Power 5 football

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/vanderbilt-s-sarah-fuller-becomes-first-woman-score-power-5-n1251011

Fuller, a senior, became the first woman to play in a Power 5 game on Nov. 28. The soccer player was recruited after members of the squad's special teams contracted the coronavirus.

Willamette University kicker Liz Heaston is the first woman to score in college football. She twice kicked an extra point through the goal posts in a game against Linfield College in 1997.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Dad gets huge tattoo identical to sonís birthmark on his chest

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/dad-huge-tattoo-chest-sons-birthmark

A dad in Canada went above and beyond to help his son feel more confident.

In fact, Derek Prue Sr., of Alberta, Canada, spent 30 hours getting a tattoo replica of his sonís birthmark, which covers a significant part of his chest.

Prue told CBC News that he decided to get the tattoo when he noticed that his son, Derek Prue Jr., 8, wouldnít go swimming without a shirt on.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Parents ( and grandparents ) will appreciate this one!

Mom curates 'Forgotten Sock' exhibit when daughter leaves a dirty 1 on the floor

When Xep Campbell's daughter made a pedestal for the sock... she knew it was game on.

https://www.today.com/parents/mom-curates-forgotten-sock-exhibit-when-daughter-abandons-one-t202872

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Policeman buys family food instead of arresting them for shoplifting

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55522825

Matt Lima was called to a food store in Somerset, Massachusetts, last month, a police statement said .

Two women were reported not to be scanning all of their groceries.

When questioned, the family said they had fallen upon hard times and could not afford to pay for all the food.

They had still wanted to give the children a Christmas dinner.

Mr Lima served them with a "no trespass" order, but did not press charges as all the items on the shopping receipt were for food, police said.

He then bought them gift cards worth $250 (£180) with his own money so the women and their two children would be able to buy food for their Christmas dinner at another shop of the same chain.

"The two children with the women reminded me of my kids, so I had to help them out," Officer Lima said.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:Policeman buys family food instead of arresting them for shoplifting

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55522825

That's wonderful. It reminds me of the movie Magnolia when John C Reilly ( Officer Jim Kurring ) caught William H Macy ( Quiz Kid Donnie Smith ) breaking and entering. Instead of arresting him, he sat down with him and talked to him.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:Bon Jovi opens third community restaurant to serve free meals to people in need

https://mypositiveoutlooks.com/bon-jovi-restaurants-provide-free-meals/?fbclid=IwAR0puYQe99IQ4sZ3eblkL128TGOYUEtjCKkNO5XdtpJD-BW1HTsn4Y11UcM

A decent meal to get you or your child through a single day is such a wonderful thing. 🙏

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

A decent meal to get you or your child through a single day is such a wonderful thing. 🙏

I wish I could be a part of something like this in our area. I tried to talk a local pizzaria into providing free pieces of pizza to the homeless ( that had been paid for in advance by patrons ). For each piece of pizza bought for a homeless person, a ticket would be tacked on a billboard, and the homeless could enter, remove a ticket, and redeem the pizza ( and whatever else had been purchased, i.e. - drink, et al ).

They said they didn't want that type of clientele hanging out at their restaurant.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

I wish I could be a part of something like this in our area. I tried to talk a local pizzaria into providing free pieces of pizza to the homeless ( that had been paid for in advance by patrons ). For each piece of pizza bought for a homeless person, a ticket would be tacked on a billboard, and the homeless could enter, remove a ticket, and redeem the pizza ( and whatever else had been purchased, i.e. - drink, et al ).

They said they didn't want that type of clientele hanging out at their restaurant.

Ugh. I'm sure someone with a mobile food truck business wouldn't have such a hangup. And then they could tend to different areas of a city in need.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Ugh. I'm sure someone with a mobile food truck business wouldn't have such a hangup. And then they could tend to different areas of a city in need.

It's really sad because the Salvation Army homeless shelter is a block from them. That type of 'clientele' is already in the area. It's amazing what a bit of kindness could do for a homeless person. That meal could change their lives.

As long as the homeless are viewed as a *blight* on society rather than a test of our individual compassion and humility, I am afraid it will only get worse for them. Even in supporting food banks and shelters, I feel it isn't enough.

It isn't personal enough.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

It's really sad because the Salvation Army homeless shelter is a block from them. That type of 'clientele' is already in the area. It's amazing what a bit of kindness could do for a homeless person. That meal could change their lives.

As long as the homeless are viewed as a *blight* on society rather than a test of our individual compassion and humility, I am afraid it will only get worse for them. Even in supporting food banks and shelters, I feel it isn't enough.

It isn't personal enough.

Not to turn this into a political topic, but I can't wait for Social Security to be reinnovated into a monthly allowance that supplements income from birth. So that in the very least, money will be there for food.

Go to page:
Go to: