Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 1999

Ingredients said:

Very interesting. I am sure that is true for most people. For me though, it was my grandmother's poetry which drew me in.

Then your Grandmother was your favorite poet

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
  profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Oct 2017
Forum Posts: 82

Valeriyabeyond said:

Then your Grandmother was your favorite poet

No. She wasn't, nor isn't.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

If anything, Poe was my favorite poet during high school, when I first started to write.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

But having a Favorite poet has never been something I've really cared about even in highschool. Enjoying poetry and choosing a favorite poet, you should note, are two separate things.

Valeriyabeyond
Valeriyabeyond
Dhyanna
Dangerous Mind
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2020
Forum Posts: 1999

Ingredients said:But having a Favorite poet has never been something I've really cared about even in highschool. Enjoying poetry and choosing a favorite poet, you should note, are two separate things.

I will do that and you should note that there is no more to say on the subject

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2980

I don't really have heroes in general or in poetry. if I was to name one it would be Spike Milligan. Inspiration can come from anywhere. From reading the so-called classics or reading novice poets first attempt. I don't think there are any limits on who or what you learn from or get inspired.

As far as rhyming vs Free verse - I write both probably about 50/50 depending on my mood. There are no rules in poetry as far as I am concerned. Rules can be bent, broken, or ignored. I have invented several new poetry formats that come from my motivation to test the poetic waters. :-)))))))))))))))

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

David_Macleod said:I don't really have heroes in general or in poetry. if I was to name one it would be Spike Milligan. Inspiration can come from anywhere. From reading the so-called classics or reading novice poets first attempt. I don't think there are any limits on who or what you learn from or get inspired.

As far as rhyming vs Free verse - I write both probably about 50/50 depending on my mood. There are no rules in poetry as far as I am concerned. Rules can be bent, broken, or ignored. I have invented several new poetry formats that come from my motivation to test the poetic waters. :-)))))))))))))))

A Hero poet would certainly give merit to the idea that the pen is mightier than the sword.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Valeriyabeyond said:

I will do that and you should note that there is no more to say on the subject

On the subject of caring about other people's favorite poets? Or my grandmother being my favorite?

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 3788

Sometimes dropping a poet's name as a favorite is more about drawing attention to that person and potential readers benefiting than it is about making a present day social connection.

And if the name dropped is an oft mentioned member of DUP, it could be for one of a multitude of reasons ranging from genuine to pretensious.

For example, Joe Bob was one of DUP's legendary poets! And then you look a Joe Bob's profile to see he only contributed 120 poems in 10 years --- eh, not so much legendary as it is wishful thinking ... or shining his knob with hopes of reciprocation .....

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
92awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 8311

Ingredients said:

Very interesting. I am sure that is true for most people. For me though, it was my grandmother's poetry which drew me in.

Unfortunately, there are no poets that I am aware of in my family. . .either they didn't heed their natural inclination to write; or, there were simply none.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 3788

Ahavati said:

Unfortunately, there are no poets that I am aware of in my family. . .either they didn't heed their natural inclination to write; or, there were simply none.

My sister wrote poetry when she was younger. Some of it was about physics, which because it was about physics went right over my head.

Some of it was about blaming her ex-boyfriend / daughter's father for ruining her life, which was a huge turnoff. I stopped reading and wanted nothing more to do with it; was just another ploy for attention in her sociopathic arsenal.

Ingredients
Ingredients
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 21st Oct 2017

Ahavati said:

Yeah, I get that. And I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

poet Anonymous

Iíve read this thread from start to finish, and Iíve come to the conclusion, that I donít know what to write.

Go to page:
Go to: